HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 1:40 PM

Ouch

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 2:03 PM

Yup. Sunday unfortunately went exactly how I thought it would. This makes Saturday an absolute must-win game for the Bombers. A win keeps them in first place in the west while a loss drops them to third and gives the Riders the season series on them.

Looking over the back half of the season if the Bombers lose on Saturday they could be stuck in third and maybe even dropping to the crossover position if the Elks continue their hot streak.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Looking over the back half of the season if the Bombers lose on Saturday they could be stuck in third and maybe even dropping to the crossover position if the Elks continue their hot streak.
You can't be serious, the Elks are 2-10 on the season.

The Bombers may not be as dominant as they were in 2021 but they're still the class of the west. BC is not as invincible as they looked at the start of the season and the Riders are still coming into their own although I will give them credit, Dolegala is looking like the real deal. Very effective and confident for a CFL rookie.

Assuming the Bombers don't implode down the backstretch (they are a pretty healthy team all things considered, and they have another bye week coming up) they won't finish any worse than second in the west.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 2:49 PM

Is this satire? Edmonton is mathematically eliminated from catching the Bombers. 2 points and Bombers clinch playoff spot.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 4:00 PM

Pains me to say it, but the Bombers are still the class of the Western conference. I expect them to win the Banjo Bowl easily and finish the season with 13+ wins while clinching first place in the west this month.

Elks WERE on a roll, but reverted to Elks football in the last 5 minutes yesterday.

On slightly different note, any of you catch the Bisons- Huskies game on Friday night? It was a good weekend for SK football teams.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
On slightly different note, any of you catch the Bisons- Huskies game on Friday night? It was a good weekend for SK football teams.
I was there. The Huskies sure showed the Bisons why they are ranked third overall in Canada, haha. It was a tale of two games, the Bisons dominated the first half but the Huskies stepped up and turned it around in the second. Sask was very good at moving the ball with some huge plays, the Bison secondary just wasn't ready for it.

I daresay that effort would have been good enough for the Bisons to beat any other Canada West team but it wasn't enough against Sask.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Yup. Sunday unfortunately went exactly how I thought it would. This makes Saturday an absolute must-win game for the Bombers. A win keeps them in first place in the west while a loss drops them to third and gives the Riders the season series on them.

Actually Birmingham Baracudas better watch out for sleeper pick to overtake Bombers.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was there. The Huskies sure showed the Bisons why they are ranked third overall in Canada, haha. It was a tale of two games, the Bisons dominated the first half but the Huskies stepped up and turned it around in the second. Sask was very good at moving the ball with some huge plays, the Bison secondary just wasn't ready for it.

I daresay that effort would have been good enough for the Bisons to beat any other Canada West team but it wasn't enough against Sask.
I was watching it online and thinking that I'd made the right choice in picking the Bisons in my USports football pool. Even though the Huskies had beaten the Dinos 48-6 in their pre-season game, the starters vs. starters portion of that game was pretty even, with the Dinos running the ball well against the Huskies and stuffing the Dogs' run game. And the Bisons looked good in their pre-season tilt against the Rams.

At the end of the half on Friday, I said that Huskies' coaching staff would need to make some serious adjustments for the 2nd half and they certainly did. There's a reason that I think Scott Flory is an exceptional coach. It's not often that you see Brian Dobie get out-coached, but I think that's what happened on Friday. Both sides of the ball were a massive change after the break, with the Bisons' offence that looked so strong in the first half putting up no points in the 2nd half and the Huskies receivers suddenly remembered how to catch. Anton Amandrud, the Huskies new QB looked the part, showing lots of potential, while making some poor decisions along the way. In his post-game interview it was nice to hear him immediately say that he needed to make better decisions and sometime just hold the ball.

Still, with Tachinski & Gassama, the Bisons will have a powerful offence and are bound to be a handful in the playoffs.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 6:12 PM

Quote:

The Bombers aren't going to drop to 3rd. The crossover position??? They are 9-3. It would be great if they win the Banjo Bowl, but calling it a "must win" is a bit dramatic.

PS

The Elks won 2 in a row before losing to Calgary. They can't catch the Bombers
Calgary won't catch the Bombers. If Winnipeg wins next week, they all but wrap up 2nd place.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 6:38 PM

Quote:
At the end of the half on Friday, I said that Huskies' coaching staff would need to make some serious adjustments for the 2nd half and they certainly did. There's a reason that I think Scott Flory is an exceptional coach. It's not often that you see Brian Dobie get out-coached, but I think that's what happened on Friday. Both sides of the ball were a massive change after the break, with the Bisons' offence that looked so strong in the first half putting up no points in the 2nd half and the Huskies receivers suddenly remembered how to catch. Anton Amandrud, the Huskies new QB looked the part, showing lots of potential, while making some poor decisions along the way. In his post-game interview it was nice to hear him immediately say that he needed to make better decisions and sometime just hold the ball.

Still, with Tachinski & Gassama, the Bisons will have a powerful offence and are bound to be a handful in the playoffs.
I can't argue with anything you said here. Amondrud reminds me a bit of Dolegala, a big young kid with all the raw tools who just needs some experience under his belt to become a bonafide star. He had a good thing going with #87 Daniel Perry. The Huskies receivers and DBs had a major case of the dropsies in the first half but correcting that went a long way to getting them back into the game in a hurry.

I also agree that the Bisons are poised to be a contender, but I don't think there's any question that the Huskies are the team to beat.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 8:33 PM

It wild seeing Tachinksi & Gassama’s name on this forum of all places. It feels like yesterday when I was hooping with them at the Whyte Ridge ball courts and going toe to toe with them.

The Bisons sport programs seem to be having a resurgence both in Basketball and Football. I’m glad to see my era of athletes is leading this, and now makes me wonder if I could’ve been right there with them if I focused just a little more on sports rather then spending half my free time lurking and posting on this place

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It wild seeing Tachinksi & Gassama’s name on this forum of all places. It feels like yesterday when I was hooping with them at the Whyte Ridge ball courts and going toe to toe with them.

The Bisons sport programs seem to be having a resurgence both in Basketball and Football. I’m glad to see my era of athletes is leading this, and now makes me wonder if I could’ve been right there with them if I focused just a little more on sports rather then spending half my free time lurking and posting on this place
Love it!

My son is 10 and he has recently become a big Bisons fan. He loves the basketball team (ever since doing a kids program run by Coach Kirby, and the playoff run last season hooked him for good) but he roots for the football and hockey teams too. I am always happy to take him and his buddies because it's fun, cheap entertainment that's a stone's throw from my place. I go to more Bison sports now than I ever did when I was a student, ha.

Anyway, Tachinski had a lot of great throws, he looked pretty poised for a first year starter (although he did start before when Des Catellier was hurt). AK Gassama had some great catches but he was also a threat on the ground for a team that doesn't look like it really has a dominant tailback option. It was cool to see Mike O'Shea's son Mike Jr. get thrown into the return team, he had a respectable debut performance. Things are looking good for the U of M.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 3:05 PM

Scary game last night, but good to see the Bombers get the win against Toronto.

Nice drone shot of the downtown area on TSN last night too.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 2:25 PM

Bombers easily defeat Calgary 36-13. I missed the game, but the good news is that our backup QB Dru Brown went 13-17 passes, with 278 yards, 2 TD, 0 Interceptions.

Bombers finish with a record of 14-4, and will play the winner of the Calgary-BC game in two weeks. GO BLUE!!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 2:27 PM

Brown will be a free agent and will be in a bidding war between Ottawa Sask and Calgary for his services.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:05 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Brown will be a free agent and will be in a bidding war between Ottawa Sask and Calgary for his services.
Oh yeah, there's no way he will be our back up for next year. He will be starter somewhere else. He's established himself in the CFL now.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:15 PM

Did anyone here happen to see the end of the Bisons vs. Dinos game in USports action on Saturday? One of the wildest finishes I've ever seen. Don't think I've ever seen a team that pumped after having lost a game.

https://twitter.com/CanadaWest/statu...15231784042553

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:36 PM

hahaha wow crazy!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Don't think I've ever seen a team that pumped after having lost a game.
To be fair though, the link you posted said that Calgary Dinos needed to win by 13 points or more to make the playoffs. That late game turn over for a touch down and two point convert eliminated the Dinos from the post season. The Bisons, who lost the game, are in the post season. So while the final score is a loss for the Bisons their game performance directly eliminated another team from the playoffs.

I would need to look deep into it but it might be if the Dinos made the playoffs the Bisons would have been eliminated. That would even further explain the celebrations despite losing the game.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
To be fair though, the link you posted said that Calgary Dinos needed to win by 13 points or more to make the playoffs. That late game turn over for a touch down and two point convert eliminated the Dinos from the post season. The Bisons, who lost the game, are in the post season. So while the final score is a loss for the Bisons their game performance directly eliminated another team from the playoffs.

I would need to look deep into it but it might be if the Dinos made the playoffs the Bisons would have been eliminated. That would even further explain the celebrations despite losing the game.
Yes, everything you said is correct. The Bisons needed the TD and 2 point convert to make the playoffs, thus their excitement. It's just very unusual to see a team that excited after losing a game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan