HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 4:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I lost my stupid vaccine card when we moved into our new house. I have a photo of it on my phone, hopefully that will be evidence enough if these draconian rules come to Pittsburgh.
I keep mine right next to the registration and insurance in my car.

They might be able to get you a replacement. I forget if PA has a database of who took it or not. I believe NJ does (I took my shots in NJ prior to the move to PA).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

@photolith,

To replace your lost vaccine card, contact the following:

Bureau of Health Statistics and Registries
555 Walnut St., Sixth Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1914
877-774-4748
717-772-3258 (fax)
ra-dhpasiis@pa.gov

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:17 PM

Federal government to require vaccinations for all federal public servants, air and train passengers

"Starting soon, all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. He said accommodations will be made for "those few who are unable to be vaccinated," such as testing and screening."

That's right anyone who want to travel by air, train or work for the federal government in Canada will soon require everyone to be vaccinated.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 5:27 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
@photolith,

To replace your lost vaccine card, contact the following:

Bureau of Health Statistics and Registries
555 Walnut St., Sixth Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1914
877-774-4748
717-772-3258 (fax)
ra-dhpasiis@pa.gov
Thanks! Ill contact them if every place around here starts requiring it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Oregon has one of the highest vaccination rates of all the states and is seeing quite a spike in cases there, record breaking daily new cases the past two days in a row........

Starting to look like the vaxxes don't work for long or are they actually enhancing viral loads when re-exposed to a covid variant?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Could be that its mild cases and folks just get tested. Now if we are seeing deaths spike dramatically in those vaccinated, than we have a big issue.

But so far, looks like almost all of the folks dying are the unvaccinated.

Unless with Oregon its just Delta getting that % that didn't get the shots.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Oregon has one of the highest vaccination rates of all the states and is seeing quite a spike in cases there, record breaking daily new cases the past two days in a row........

Starting to look like the vaxxes don't work for long or are they actually enhancing viral loads when re-exposed to a covid variant?
Even when the virus breaks through the vaccine, you are looking at a significantly lower chance of a severe case, and virtually zero chance of death. If you have it after being vaccinated, you can still spread it. Breakthrough infections will still be recorded as new cases. Even with that said, the number of people required to be vaccinated, in order for herd immunity to begin to take shape, is approximately 70%. No state has reached that number as of yet, although Vermont is getting there. Oregon has yet to reach 60%, even with the fact that it’s doing significantly better than other states.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post

You'd need herd immunity of 90%-95% to stop the growth of Delta, and nowhere in the world has that right now. Even if you could somehow get vaccination rates that high, there would be enough breakthrough infections to keep it bubbling along.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The slow movement to essentially require vaccines is starting to pop up across the country, requiring daily life events to have proof of it. Looks like some momentum is building in that regards.

But we have yet to see what will happen in the Fall. As the young bloods go back to school and eventually infect those that aren't protected (and themselves). Will happen. Kids will be the new vectors of this pandemic.

So hopefully the FDA can hurry up and approve the shots for kids. Either way, the Fall will probally suck for those not protected.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Even when the virus breaks through the vaccine, you are looking at a significantly lower chance of a severe case, and virtually zero chance of death. If you have it after being vaccinated, you can still spread it. Breakthrough infections will still be recorded as new cases. Even with that said, the number of people required to be vaccinated, in order for herd immunity to begin to take shape, is approximately 70%. No state has reached that number as of yet, although Vermont is getting there. Oregon has yet to reach 60%, even with the fact that it’s doing significantly better than other states.
Oh yeah, 100%.

Interesting to see spikes of cases in highly vaccinated states. The problem with Oregon is they probably don't have much natural immunity there. They never really had large outbreaks in 2020 compared to other states like New York.

Btw, I'm seeing that Oregon is 63.1% fully vaccinated in the 18-64 age group and 90.4% in the 65+ age group.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You'd need herd immunity of 90%-95% to stop the growth of Delta, and nowhere in the world has that right now. Even if you could somehow get vaccination rates that high, there would be enough breakthrough infections to keep it bubbling along.
I think one issue is the lack of natural immunity in Oregon.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 7:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

That's crazy to think almost 10% of folks over 65 don't have the shot in Oregon.

I'd be curious to see what the metrics are for folks over 65 that haven't gotten it.

Its beyond asinine for that age group to have the balls to not get it... after all we've done for them and sacrificed.

I hope those idiots in The Villages have the shot. That place is what happens when nursing homes run urban development... much sprawl!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 8:06 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don’t understand why vaccinated people who get a “head cold” feel the need to get tested for Covid. If I get sick I would do what I’ve done my entire life: rest, take Tylenol, fluids, and move on.

The whole purpose of the vaccine is to allow us to not think about Covid. That message was obviously lost. The media doesn’t want that to happen (fear and views means $$), and of course our in house Howard Hughes is having a love affair with his basement couch, so we wouldn’t want to disrupt that either.
Well I didn't get tested when I was sick assuming it was a head cold. I got tested when 3 out of 4 vaccinated house mates got covid on our vacation which was about 3 weeks after I was sick. Apparently delta presents more like a head cold since the vaccine is good at keeping it out of your lungs but not good at keeping it out of your throat and nose, which is why it is good at keeping you out of the hospital but not from getting sick. I suspect now that it was covid. I at least hope so. I would really feel invincible now if it was. I wonder if antibody tests can distinguish if vaccinated people got covid? I had the pfizer but I wish I got Moderna. The only person other than me that did not test positive or get sick had the Moderna vaccine. The rest of us has pfizer. Moderna is better against delta than pfizer.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 9:19 PM

Oregons spike is happening mostly in rural counties and in conservatives zip codes along the I5 corridor. Medford, Grant's Pass....Multnomah Co, the biggest population center is nearly 70 fully vaccinated. The statewide mask mandate is back tho.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Oregons spike is happening mostly in rural counties and in conservatives zip codes along the I5 corridor. Medford, Grant's Pass....Multnomah Co, the biggest population center is nearly 70 fully vaccinated. The statewide mask mandate is back tho.
I've seen some data from other states' county websites that the ratio of cases of non-vaxxed to vaxxed is 10:1

That's going off memory, (which is normally sharp as a nail, it's sharp, unless I got the reggae music bumpin').

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I hope those idiots in The Villages have the shot. That place is what happens when nursing homes run urban development... much sprawl!
Nursing homes don't run The Villages and most there likely have been vaccinated. Florida's highest rates of non-vaccination are where you'd expect: Along the Georgia border and in the panhandle. South Florida is very highly vaccinated and Central Florida, where The Villages is, somewhat less but pretty good among seniors. Overall, Florida is about the best-vaccinated state in the Old South (other than maybe Virginia).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 9:46 PM

See, if Trump did it, it's OK with DeSantis and Abbot. Both are setting up monoclonal antibody infusion centers (which is not a bad thing at all but why do they think those microchips can't be infused IV).

Quote:
DeSantis, faced with covid surge, urges Floridians to use Regeneron antibody treatment given to Trump
By Timothy Bella
Yesterday at 2:59 p.m. EDT

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is vowing to begin dispensing Regeneron monoclonal antibodies — the treatment given to President Donald Trump when he had the coronavirus — through mobile clinics amid a record-breaking stretch of new cases and hospitalizations that have ravaged the state.

DeSantis said at a news conference in Jacksonville on Thursday that while coronavirus vaccines have been effective at preventing illness and death, more was needed to help curb the spread of the virus in a state that has become the U.S. hotbed of the latest surge of infections. The governor championed Regeneron’s monoclonal antibody cocktail for those who have already gotten sick, saying it is “the most effective treatment that we’ve yet encountered for people who are actually infected with covid-19.”

“Covid’s not going to go away,” DeSantis said. “So the question is how are we going to approach it. You can approach it on the front end by protecting yourself, but of course, if you end up in a situation where you are infected and at high risk, getting in here early, this is the best shot we’ve got right now to keep people out of the hospital and keep them safe.”

The antibody treatment, a cocktail of the monoclonal antibodies casirivimab and imdevimab that is made by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, is designed to prevent infected people from developing severe illness . . . .

DeSantis told reporters that the mobile units, which are already operating in parts of the state hit hard by the delta variant, will be expanded throughout Florida. The Trump administration last year initially bought 300,000 doses of Regeneron’s monoclonal antibody treatment, which cost about $1,500 per dose at the time.

A Regeneron spokesperson said in a statement to The Washington Post on Friday that the government has now bought up to 1.5 million doses of the treatment and that it is being made available free to patients. DeSantis did not specify how many Floridians would have access to the shots.

The Food and Drug Administration granted emergency authorization to Regeneron in November, saying that the treatment may be effective in treating mild to moderate covid in adults and children 12 or older, and is recommended for those at high risk of developing severe illness. The FDA expanded Regeneron’s emergency authorized use last month, enabling the treatment for people exposed to someone who has been infected or for those at high risk of exposure in settings such as prisons or nursing homes.

DeSantis urged people at high risk to get the treatment at the first sign of symptoms, suggesting that Floridians “won’t even necessarily need a prescription from a doctor” to obtain Regeneron. Doctors and health professionals have indicated that people who are severely ill from the coronavirus are less likely to see benefits from monoclonal antibodies.

“I do think this is probably the best thing we can do to reduce the number of people that require hospitalization,” DeSantis said.

The state reported 24,730 new cases on Thursday, bringing its seven-day average to more than 18,000 cases a day, according to data compiled by The Post. With 15,796 people hospitalized for the virus, Florida now accounts for 1 out of every 5 covid hospitalizations in the nation. More than 3,200 people are currently occupying beds in intensive care units, an increase of 17 percent from last week . . . .

The Regeneron cocktail is best known as the antibody treatment given to Trump when it was still an investigational drug after he contracted the virus last October. Other high-profile Republicans, such as Rudolph W. Giuliani and Ben Carson, also acknowledged receiving the Regeneron drug.

After he was released from the hospital, Trump inaccurately described the Regeneron cocktail as a “cure” and pressed the FDA to quickly clear the medication. While demand was expected to surge when Trump made a laudatory video in which he promised to make the antibody treatments free to patients needing them, officials acknowledged that many patients and doctors did not know much about the medicine and were not asking for it.

DeSantis on Thursday promoted Regeneron as achieving a “70 percent reduction in hospitalization and death for covid patients” in clinical trials, referencing an announcement by the company in the spring. But Dushyantha Jayaweera, a clinical professor at the University of Miami Medical School, told WPLG that the decrease in hospitalizations was more like a “relative risk reduction.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...HdnnwVWqgMJGwY

As it happens there are now 3 different monoclonal antibody drugs approved in the US, one each from Regeneron, Lilly and Glaxo. Naturally, DeSantis and Abbot are only boosting the one Trump got which is the oldest I believe.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 10:40 PM

Last week Brazil had overtook the US as % of adults vaccinated with at least one shot (above 70% now). That's something we only dream of few months ago with all the political meltdown regarding Bolsonaro's government attempts to sabotage vaccines purchases.

Brazil anti-vax movement never took root and polls indicate up to 94% of population intend to be vaccinated.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Brazil anti-vax movement never took root and polls indicate up to 94% of population intend to be vaccinated.
We've got a long history with it:

Quote:
Ben Franklin’s bitter regret that he didn’t immunize his 4-year-old son against smallpox
By Gillian Brockell

Five weeks had passed since the death of Benjamin Franklin’s son, and rumors were swirling. Four-year-old Francis “Franky” Franklin had died after being inoculated for smallpox, the rumor went, and now his pro-inoculation father was trying to hide it.

The gossip reached such a point that on Dec. 30, 1736, the grieving father, then 30, confronted it in the pages of his newspaper, the Pennsylvania Gazette.
“Inasmuch as some People are, by that [rumor] ... deter’d from having that Operation perform’d on their Children,” he wrote, “I do hereby sincerely declare, that he was not inoculated, but receiv’d the Distemper in the common Way of Infection.”

It must have been hard to admit — Franklin had long advocated inoculation as a “safe and beneficial practice” — that his own son had gone unprotected.
“I intended to have my Child inoculated,” he explained, “as soon as he should have recovered sufficient Strength from a Flux [diarrhea] with which he had been long afflicted.”

More than five decades later, in his autobiography published posthumously, he said he had “long regretted bitterly, and still regret” that he had chosen to wait . . . .

The concept of immunization came to the American colonies via Africa. In the early 1700s, Puritan minister Cotton Mather learned from Onesimus, a man he enslaved, about the method long used in West Africa, where a weakened form of the disease would be intentionally applied to a cut. This gave the patient a mild case of smallpox, with a drastically higher survival rate than the usual illness. And afterward, the patient would be forever immune. Mather brought this concept to a local doctor, who began testing it on family members and people he enslaved.

Growing up in Boston and apprenticing for his older brother’s printing business, the teenage Benjamin Franklin had a front-row seat to the public debate over the doctor’s experiment. But, as Stephen Coss explains in his book, “The Fever of 1721: The Epidemic That Revolutionized Medicine and American Politics,” there was a catch: His brother was against it. In fact, a desire to publish anti-inoculation screeds was a major reason why his brother started his newspaper, according to Coss.

The younger Franklin, always a lover of science and invention, probably didn’t appreciate having to play a part in publishing anti-inoculation views. So later, when he had his own newspaper in Philadelphia, he became one of America’s “foremost inoculation evangelists,” Coss wrote.

When another smallpox outbreak hit Boston in 1730, he carefully recounted how well those who had chosen inoculation fared — only four died out of “hundreds” inoculated, he wrote — versus those who caught it naturally, in which case the death rate was nearly 30 percent.

He later published detailed instructions on how to perform an inoculation, and his decades of cataloguing survival rates probably played a role in George Washington’s decision during the Revolutionary War to order the entire Continental Army to be inoculated. Washington had natural immunity after surviving a bout of smallpox in his youth.

So why, only six years later, did Franklin’s son go uninoculated as another outbreak raged through Philadelphia? Many historians have accepted “at face value” Franklin’s explanation that he was waiting for his son’s health to improve, Coss wrote in Smithsonian Magazine. However, he proposes a different explanation, that Franklin’s wife was afraid of inoculation and convinced her husband not to subject their son to it. He notes that the couple’s relationship, once love-filled and affectionate, degenerated after Franky’s death. Franklin began characterizing his wife as irresponsible and questioned her fitness as a mother.

In 1759, Franklin wrote about such a scenario, while exploring the public’s reticence to accept inoculation. When “one parent or near relation is against it the other does not chuse to inoculate a child without free consent of all parties, lest in case of a disastrous event, perpetual blame should follow.”

He also began to spend significant amounts of time away from her, like spending more than a decade in England when he originally said he would be gone a few months. He often took his daughter, grandson and other family members with him on these trips, but never her. In the last 17 years of her life, they spent only two years together, Coss wrote.

Near the end of his life, as he was writing his autobiography, the blame theme continued. After saying he “long regretted bitterly" the circumstances of his son’s death, he added this warning:

“This I mention for the Sake of Parents, who omit that Operation on the Supposition that they should never forgive themselves if a Child died under it; my Example showing that the Regret may be the same either way, and that therefore the safer should be chosen.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...x-son-vaccine/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 12:17 AM

Just a quick check in from Austin. Delta is everywhere. I know of four people who have come down with mild cases (so far) in the past few days. All of them were vaccinated, two of them with J&J and the other two with Pfizer or Moderna. Delta seems to be very easy to catch, but probably half the people seen in stores are sans mask. Supposedly once you leave the Austin area, virtually nobody is wearing a mask. The number of covid hospitalizations in Austin is at an all time high. Ditto for ICU and vent patients. Texas had 140 deaths yesterday. Texas will surpass New York in the total number of covid deaths sometime this weekend. That is certainly a dubious distinction and nothing to brag about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions