HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'm disappointed to hear that, although not really surprised. N Delta would be so much nicer (and add some gentle density) with more townhouses, row houses, duplexes, etc to replace some of the SFH. It would be a lot easier for everyone to do that than their Scott Road tower plans.
Yeah, it's ironic. If they just quietly upzoned more areas for townhouses and 4-6 stories nobody would cause a significant enough ruckus to stop it. But this project will be a magnet for negative attention from NIMBYs like the last tower proposal on 75a Ave

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greetingsfromcanada View Post
Yeah, it's ironic. If they just quietly upzoned more areas for townhouses and 4-6 stories nobody would cause a significant enough ruckus to stop it. But this project will be a magnet for negative attention from NIMBYs like the last tower proposal on 75a Ave
I suspect 4 - 6 storey buildings not on Scott Road would still get a reaction - Nimbys gotta Nimby...

I had to go back on google maps and check - 72nd has some gentle density on it so they must have upzoned along there. I'd hope for more of that but well, see above.

Hopefully this one at 80th goes through as it's the only one I've seen where they're redeveloping a (strip) mall. It'll take out some retail but also a lot of surface parking (I don't think there's ever been retail in N Delta that had underground parking).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 5:27 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 5:51 PM

Yes Delta has been very strategic in where they allow density. Only allow it in places where the only people who can complain don't actually live in Delta. It's not a coincidence that all their density is going in right at the Surrey border.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
Yes Delta has been very strategic in where they allow density. Only allow it in places where the only people who can complain don't actually live in Delta. It's not a coincidence that all their density is going in right at the Surrey border.
Delta is broken into two(ish) parts - 1) North Delta and 2) South Delta, namely Ladner and Tsawwassen. Ok yes there's also Annacis and Tilbury islands as industrial areas. While they both have very similar setups (suburban SFH to practically the exclusion of anything else) they are rather isolated from each other.

In N Delta Scott Road is really the only main drag and has about 90% of the retail so it's no surprise that any towers would be proposed there. But ... why on earth haven't they tried for gentle density on the main east -west avenues? 72nd is finally getting some but 80th, 84th and 92nd are still primarily SFH and could easily handle townhouses, rowhouses and duplexes without 'wrecking the character' of the area. 64th (Kittson Pkway) and 88th (Nordel Way) are both treated like highways that need to be physically separated from residential areas.

Instead the plan is to have 6 spots on Scott Road - and even then they're mostly proposing low to mid rise buildings. "In general, the Task Force desired lower allowable heights and a focus on more mid rise building forms with each neighbourhood incorporating some ground-oriented building types like townhouses." (Mayor’s Housing Task Force For Scott Road - Recommendations Report pdf)

When I go look at google maps I don't see much difference between now and what it looked like 25+ years ago. The area really needs to move out of the 19th century.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Let's have our Superstore parking lot, but make it urban

Gotta love how they're rebranding a portion of parking lot with speedbumps as a "multi-use path"...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Let's have our Superstore parking lot, but make it urban

Gotta love how they're rebranding a portion of parking lot with speedbumps as a "multi-use path"...
Maybe I'm missing something, but the bike lane/multi-use path is at the far left-hand side of the page in the second image and it doesn't look like a road with speedbumps to me.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but the bike lane/multi-use path is at the far left-hand side of the page in the second image and it doesn't look like a road with speedbumps to me.
The "multi-use path" looks like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.15120...7i16384!8i8192

Since it's outside this development's project area one can assume it will likely remain this way once this project is complete.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
The "multi-use path" looks like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.15120...7i16384!8i8192

Since it's outside this development's project area one can assume it will likely remain this way once this project is complete.
Again, unless I'm missing something the multi-use path is included in the project (it's in the landscape plan). It does sure look like garbage now, though.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Again, unless I'm missing something the multi-use path is included in the project (it's in the landscape plan). It does sure look like garbage now, though.
The bike path is shown in the landscape plan. The landscape plan only includes what is within the red box of the site plan. The "multi-use path" is outside of that red box, on the isometric view of the buildings it still shows this parking lot of a "multi-use path" unchanged. The developer is trying to make car oriented towers seem much more urbanist than they will ever be here.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
The bike path is shown in the landscape plan. The landscape plan only includes what is within the red box of the site plan. The "multi-use path" is outside of that red box, on the isometric view of the buildings it still shows this parking lot of a "multi-use path" unchanged. The developer is trying to make car oriented towers seem much more urbanist than they will ever be here.
The bike path should also be along Scott Road and not tucked in the back alley of this development, at least then it would fit within Delta's unambitious "ultimate cycling network":

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...1164506e168b32

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 11:03 PM

That's a ton of parking.

What is "senior housing" exactly? A 55+ strata, or some form of rental?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
That's a ton of parking.
Car oriented development masquerading as urbanism.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Looks like the red box on the Site Plan goes to the property line (you can see the property lines above it) so the future bike path on the Landscape Plan is within the property line.
You can see it wrapping around the mid-rise part of the project.
Strange place for a bike path, but better than fighting with Superstore traffic and shopping carts, I guess.

I would analogize the plan as similar to Station Square
- a new tower on podium section leading to an older section with surface parking in the back.
This one is less "urban" beacsue it has a park cutting across it, but that type of amenity probably fits this neghbourhood.

One question - what does the exposed side of the Delta Rise podium parkade look like?
Was it designed to abutt another building?

and it's part of a longer path in the Area Plan:

https://delta.civicweb.net/filepro/d...preview=215287

Quote:
Compare to Station Square - retail high street leading to surface parking lot (until later redevelopment of that area):

https://www.nestpresales.com/listing...Condo-Presales

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 26, 2022 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:16 AM

Quote:
67-Storey Skyscraper Proposed for Surrey Would Be Tallest Building in BC

The tallest building in British Columbia at the moment is the Living Shangri-La in Downtown Vancouver, at 659-ft tall, but a new development proposed in Surrey would exceed that by 20 feet.

The skyscraper is being developed by Vancouver-based Westland and designed by Chris Dikeakos Architects, and would be 679-ft tall, located at 10227 King George Boulevard in Surrey, between King George Boulevard and Surrey Central Station.

A representative from Westland told STOREYS in September that the development had passed the Advisory Design Panel, and City of Surrey council meeting documents show that the project was reviewed during this week’s council meeting on land use, on November 28, with a public hearing now set for Monday, January 16, at 7:00 p.m.

The proposed building would be 67 storeys, with a seven-storey podium consisting of retail and office space, as well as an eight-storey residential podium, and more residential units above, for a total of 746 units. There are expected to be 226 studio units, 16 one-bedroom units, 283 one-bedroom units with a den, 122 two-bedroom units, 57 two-bedroom units with a den, and 42 three-bedroom units.

https://storeys.com/10227-67-storey-...lest-building/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:12 AM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Nice. Thank you.

Actually looks like a downtown core and Surrey is getting some critical mass.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 6:12 AM

I hope this is the right place to post this (didn't want to start a new thread) - New Surrey facility provides access to showers, toilets, laundry services to people experiencing homelessness

Quote:
People experiencing homelessness in Surrey, B.C., are getting access to new washrooms, showers and laundry services with the opening of a new temporary modular facility. 

The Healthy Living Complex of Care, located at the Cove Shelter site at 10607 King George Blvd., officially opened on Nov. 24.

"We believe that it's been necessary for a very long time," said Mike Musgrove, executive director of the Surrey Urban Mission Society (SUMS), the organization operating the facility.

"It's been something talked about in meetings throughout the city. Where can people go?"

The facility runs seven days a week, from 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.

It also serves guests by providing access to outreach workers, a private office for consultations, and a lounge with a computer workstation and phone. Toiletries and snacks are also available.

The facility's outreach team can help guests with applications for income assistance, treatment, or even obtaining an I.D., says Musgrove, adding that he believes centres like this help improve quality of life for people who are "stuck in certain situations."

The facility is one of six initiatives in the Pandemic Response Package funded by the federal government's Safe Restart Agreement, administered through the Union of B.C. Municipalities' Strengthening Communities' Services Program to create temporary programming in support of people experiencing homelessness in the city.

Musgrove adds that it is important for people to have a place to go in extreme weather.

"A lot of times, local places that we would be able to go inside and get a coffee, or a donut, or a burger or something, aren't necessarily open for people to go in that are non-housed," he said.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 3:00 PM

Noticed two more cranes have gone up recently in Whalley area - Viktor (108 & 140) and Flamingo (107a & Whalley Blvd).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 10:20 PM

Whalley Legion almost looks complete from the outside

https://www.reddit.com/r/SurreyBC/co...parc_centrale/

They were in the middle of pouring all the concrete for sidewalks when I passed by

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley