HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
From Scott Graham twitter today:

https://twitter.com/WFLBC
Great picture. Surrey has some impressive greenery around its downtown core, which is a huge contrast compared to this old image of Houston, TX. Proof that transit oriented downtown core is a more effective urban planning technique.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 11:28 PM

Yikes. That's an excellent reason why "market-run planning and no zones" is a Bad Idea.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 12:36 AM

Downtown South didn't look all that different than that in the early 1990s.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:31 AM

Quote:
From Scott Graham twitter today:

https://twitter.com/WFLBC
Great picture. I like the green and blue in it, as well as they varying tower heights adding nicely to the skyline from north.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 9:57 PM

And another proposal...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 6:21 AM

Small step forward in the plan to revitalize the Scott Road corridor in North Delta/Surrey.

Delta residents to get first glimpse of new Scott Road highrise
June 6th, 2022
https://www.northdeltareporter.com/n...road-highrise/

Quote:
Delta residents can now register to get a first look at the soon-to-be-built highrise slated for the corner of 93A Avenue and Scott Road.

On Friday (June 3), the project’s developer, BM Group, held a grand opening celebration for the Walker House sales centre. Located at 9365 Scott Rd., the centre features a scale model of the project’s 29-storey tower as well as a full-scale and fully furnished mock up of one of the project’s two-bedroom units.

Once built, the mixed-use development in North Delta’s Townline area will include 264 market strata residential units — 52 studio, 105 one-bedroom and 107 two-bedroom — over 3,110 sq. ft. of commercial space, 3,660 sq. ft. of common indoor amenity space and 13,153 sq. ft. of common outdoor amenity space. The highrise is only the second ever approved in the city. The first, the 37-storey Delta Rise at 80th and Scott, was completed in May of 2017.

A six-storey building to be built on the west side of the property will contain 50 rental units on the first five floors (13 studio, 20 one-bedroom and 17 two-bedroom), 580 sq. ft. of common indoor amenity space on the sixth floor, and 6,070 sq. ft. of common outdoor amenity space. In a first for Delta, the rental units will be secured for 20 years through a site-specific rezoning, including 10 units locked in at below-market rates.

The project will also include a dedicated 3,775 sq. ft. childcare facility large enough for 30 children — 2,335 sq. ft. indoors, 1,440 sq. ft. outdoors — with ownership to be transferred to the city at no cost as part of the developer’s community benefits package.

“We couldn’t have asked for a better partnership than what we got and the support we got from Delta,” BM Group chairman Balraj Mann said Friday.

“We are emotionally attached to this area. I grew up here (…) I used to take the bus from here, right in front of this building,” he said, adding the project is especially important to the area’s South Asian community as it sits in the middle of the “Punjabi Bazaar” portion of Scott Road.

Mann said the project will mean a lot for the neighbourhood, especially young families looking to stay in the area.

“I know the need for the next generation like our kids. I think Delta residents, this will be a place for them,” he told the Reporter. “This project has a little bit of everything, with smaller units, bigger units, there’s also a rental component, there’s a daycare on the premises, lots of amenities. So it means a lot. I think we’re hoping that most of the product will be purchased by the people in the neighbourhood and their families.”

Mann also said he hopes the project will be the first of many that will transform the Townline neighbourhood “for the betterment of Delta, North Delta residents and the surrounding areas.”

“I think somebody had to take the lead. It’s risky when you do something for the first time,” he said. “I think we made a decision that will [encourage others to] take that initiative, and we’re feeling pretty positive about this.”

Mayor George Harvie said he was happy to finally see development happening in the Townline area, and called Walker House a flagship project that will spur on others.

“It’s going to be such a value-added asset to our community,” Harvie said. “More housing, that’s what we need, and more different types of housing.”

The mayor thanked Mann and his staff for “making this a quick, easy turn-over for us,” before jokingly reminding Mann of his promise to build 10 more such projects.

Speaking with the Reporter, the mayor said he was impressed by what he saw at Friday’s opening.

“I couldn’t say enough about the company involved. They’re good builders, and when you look at the suite here and what they’re offering, it’s amazing. The views are amazing, the daycare is also amazing, the other amenities, and some of the affordable housing options too. So really pleased and I can’t wait until it’s actually available for the public.”

Harvie also said revitalizing Scott Road is one of his top priorities should he be re-elected mayor on Oct. 15.

Sales manager Nagib Karim with Rennie & Associates Realty said the sales centre will be open to the public “in a few weeks,” with Delta residents given first priority to tour the facility and buy a unit.

“The reason behind this is we want to support the local Delta residents. It’s hard to find inventory in North Delta right now in this type of product, so they will have the first opportunity to come in and select a home,” Karim said.

Prices start in the “mid-$400,000” range, and it’s estimated the project will be completed in early 2026. Those interested can register for priority access at walkerhousedelta.com.

The project’s rental units will be available for lease just prior to completion, and prices have not yet been set.

Karim said local residents like to see a rental component to projects like this as they “stabilizes the asset.”

“The strata knows that BM Group is not just building this and walking away; they’re going to be your next-door neighbour, they’re going to be sharing the same backyard as you. So they have a vested interested in making sure that, every step of the way, 100 per cent quality is put into this, 100 per cent detail is brought into this. They don’t just want to build it and walk away. They’re name is also on it,” he said.

“[BM Group] are very hands-on with this project just because of what it means for the community. They are part of the community and have been for so many years, so having their roots established here, it really shows in what’s going to be delivered to the consumer.”

In October of 2020, the Mayor’s Housing Task Force for Scott Road released its recommendations for addressing housing and development challenges along the corridor and creating greater certainty about future development.

In its report, the task force identified the area — renamed the Townline Innovation District — as one that could accommodate the highest densities and tallest buildings, with the biggest located near 96th and tapering down towards 92nd.

The task force’s vision calls for a mix of live/work townhouses, mixed-use and residential structures up to six storeys in height, and mid- to highrise towers up to 18 storeys high, with the possibility of building up to 29 storeys when developers provide contributions towards community and neighbourhood improvements.

Several features and amenities would “contribute to the Townline Innovation District’s liveability,” including a centrally-located new park surrounded by active ground floor uses to help animate the space, a multi-use greenway trail along the railway corridor and 119B Street that would help link the district to other North Delta neighbourhoods, and a community space that could potentially include a daycare, recreation space, gym and/or youth centre.

“Innovation in design permeates this neighbourhood, with its industrial chic identity recalling the nearby railway and gritty historic uses,” the task force’s report says, noting the area is an ideal place to spearhead new construction materials and take advantage of the province’s push towards mass timber technologies for midrise and highrise buildings.

“While the district redevelops and evolves into a fully realized neighbourhood, existing affordable commercial and industrial properties will be prime locations to attract entrepreneurship, light industrial and creative artisan uses.”

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
...this old image of Houston, TX.

Where do I park my car?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Where do I park my car?
Where DID I park my car?!

Ron.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
Small step forward in the plan to revitalize the Scott Road corridor in North Delta/Surrey.

Delta residents to get first glimpse of new Scott Road highrise
June 6th, 2022
9365 Scott Rd.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Where DID I park my car?!

Ron.
Or can't decide on where to park:

Decisions, decisions.....

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 10:46 PM

IBI Group designed "Emerald Gardens" for Allure, by Gateway Skytrain Station, is looking good with the renders.

Source: Link

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
IBI Group designed "Emerald Gardens" for Allure, by Gateway Skytrain Station, is looking good with the renders.

Source: Link
From the pdf:
Quote:
This 3-tower project by Allure located just north of Gateway Station at University Dr & King George Blvd received 3rd Reading (Conditional Approval) by Surrey City Council on May 30.

Designed by IBI Group, the project features 3 teardrop shaped towers of 33, 38 & 42-storeys oriented around a central coutyard. The 2 shorter towers sit above crescent shaped podiums following the curvature of University Drive. A total of 995 units are proposed along with 2,282 SF of retail space.

Address: University Dr & King George Blvd
Proposal: 33 + 38 + 42-Storey Residential (995 Units) + 2,282 SF Retail
Developer: Allure
Architect: IBI Group
Expected Completion: 2027

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 5:52 AM

Quote:
9365 Scott Rd.
That's quite a stark contrast to what's being proposed on the NW corner of 120th Street and 96th Avenue

https://www.surrey.ca/sites/default/...21-0302-00.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
From the pdf:
I stumbled upon this proposal of the neighbouring lot just to the south.

https://www.surrey.ca/sites/default/...18-0388-00.pdf

Quote:
PROPOSAL:
 Rezoning from CD (Bylaw No. 10464) to CD
(based on RM‐135)
 Development Permit
to permit the development of two residential high‐rise
buildings with ground floor retail and a child care
centre in City Centre.
ZONING: CD Bylaw No. 10464
OCP DESIGNATION: Central Business District
City Centre Plan
DESIGNATION:
High Rise 5.5 FAR

If I'm reading this correctly are these the building heights ?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
That's quite a stark contrast to what's being proposed on the NW corner of 120th and 96th Avenue
It's the only "natural" spot for towers in Delta. Dingy old commercial pace that's increasingly abandoned, close enough to a skytrain station and separated from the suburban sprawl by a railway and power lines. Surrey doesn't really think about scott road that much. It's a main focus for Delta. I doubt Surrey would ever allow such tall buildings on their side. I do think a mass upzoning to like 12 stories would reasonable tho

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:49 AM

More recent June 2022 renderings from Daily Hive and change in heights and tower placement:

Quote:
There will be five condominium towers — 525 ft at 52 storeys, 486 ft at 48 storeys, 446 ft at 44 storeys, 397 ft at 39 storeys, and 367 ft at 36 storeys.
The towers will accommodate 2,017 condominium homes combined.

A comparatively modest sixth building, a 118-ft mid-rise structure, will contain 185 new rental homes with a combined total of 330 bedrooms, which will replace all 156 rental homes
in Bristol Estates’ 1960s-built, three-storey structures on the site. Existing tenants will be provided the right-of-first-refusal for the new homes and at below-market rents, while any
remaining rental homes will be offered at market rents.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/1301...ment?auto=true

June 2022 depiction of the redevelopment of Bristol Estates at 13301-13355 104 Avenue and 13280-13362 105 Avenue, with the potential urban growth of Surrey City Centre shown.
ZGF Architects/PWL Partnership)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 11:04 PM

Surrey reveals proposed Chuck Bailey rec centre design

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...-centre-design

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 4:53 AM

that building on 104th that was said to be getting tenants is still sitting epty, there are also numerous broken windows still that have not been replaced. They just changed all the banners on the building, they removed the 80% leased banners and now have just FOR LEASE banners with doctors office and such on them.

Anyone know what happened? did the guy jump the gun with the press saying he had a big name high end grocery store moving in and some sports place and government offices etc? sounds like it remains a dud.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:33 PM

I thought I heard the building wasn't to code and that's one of the reasons that it's sat empty for so many years. If that's the case, might be that the City hasn't provided any occupancy to the new owner. But also leasing that whole place within two months sounded like a scam more than anything. There's a lot of empty leased spots around Central that are in better locations.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 6:12 AM

Yeah, something must be going on, they haven't even bothered to fix broken windows yet. The area is gaining a lot of 6 storey apartments so it's getting to be a walkable place.

The Tien Sher whalley tower project is starting to get deeper, good to see it happening.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:33 AM

trees have been cleared at 108th and 140th for a new 6 storey development on the corner. It will be the 4th active site along 108th. The Radley has started to dig in the last two weeks, that little stretch is quite busy with three projects at various stages of construction now. Q5 is up to the 4th floor, the one across the street is at floor 2 and the Radley is just getting going excavating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley