HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Modular ghettos.

I am on board, provided the Waverley West area, Sage Creek, and Tuxedo are all guaranteed at least one ghetto each.
As a resident in Waverley West I honestly wouldn’t have a problem if modular housing units were even built next to my house but I’m probably in the minority of that sentiment within the area.

Although, there is a good 20 acres of vacant land next to the Superstore on Bison that could be a great location for more dense housing which of course could include housing the homeless. The land is owned by the U of M and if they are as “progressive” as they claim to be I don’t see why they couldn’t use that land, the Southwood lands, or fill one of the dozens of surface parking lots within campus for this cause. Hell there’s plenty of empty space on the east side of Bison/Pembina that they could utilize as well.

Imo the best places for the modular units would be near our shopping malls and cut down the size of those concrete nightmares.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I agree 100%.
The Forks recent embarassment of 7 people injured in 5 days is showing us that the criminals are pushing the boundaries yet again.
Brazen acts, daylight, evening, no matter.
It will make national headlines.
Recent immigrants from war torn Ukraine settle in Winnipeg and within 2 weeks are seriously assaulted & tramautised for life.
The recent Ukraine immigrant / stabbed man is still in hospital getting blood drained from his neck?????
A father & daughter seriously assualted @ 7:30 pm ?????WTF??
The sun is out until 10ish.
A man seriously assaulted near Polo Park the other day as well.
This is the worst advertising for Winnipeg ever.
I supose it is just a matter of time that we see the criminals more so in Tuxedo, Sage Creek, Charleswood, Pritchard Farms, etc more than we ever thought.
I implore on our lawmakers & civic, provincial, federal leaders to LEAD & get something done now!
Anyone looking for a vote soon should be made uncomfortable to repsond to these concerns as investors, newcommers to Canada & tourists will also stop coming.
I do not think the general public understand how dire this is.
This is an Emergency!
Local politicians are idiots if they think people are going to remain polite and not say anything about the huge elephant in the room that is our crime problem. If they don't do something, then you are going to start seeing people getting elected who make Jenny Motkaluk and Gord Steeves look like absolute moderates, because people will start reaching their breaking point and casting ballots for anyone who is willing to a) acknowledge the problem and b) do something to deal with it.

I wish Bowman showed the same motivation to deal with citizens getting stabbed as he did with nasty headlines in Macleans magazine.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 6:21 PM

Crime issue is a big opportunity for Motkaluk right now to seize upon if she plays her cards right

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 7:59 PM

I wonder if we start seeing increased acts of vigilantism given the lack of inaction by various levels of government. Groups of people deciding to take it upon themselves to remove homeless folks from bus shelters...random attacks on homeless people/drug addicts. Granted this could very well be happening right now as it's unlikely those people would report those crimes to the police.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:02 PM

^ I doubt you will see that type of confrontational vigilantism. More realistically people will smash up bus shelters, as has been happening with great frequency lately.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:25 PM

My goodness...vigilantism is a horrible thought! How about communicating our concerns to candidates and ensure that it is part of the election dialogue. In fact, any candidate (Mayoral or council) that cannot discuss this issue intelligently with some clear ideas about how to restore public confidence in the safety of our community should be considered ineligible for the job.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:45 PM

I don't think vigilanties will take hold just an accelerated rate of people moving to the suburbs and bedroom communities outside the perimeter

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 2:34 PM

Politicians sure love to apologize these days yet I have not seen one manitoba politician apologize to the Ukrainian refugee who was stabbed in the neck at the forks absolutely disgraceful.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 8:30 PM

Free press reporting a stanger attacked a child infront of other children and staff from the discovery day camp Monday morning at kildonan Park. Crime crime crime will define this election weather the mayoral candidates want to hear it or not.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Camp director Mark Werner said a roughly 18-year-old man, who has low-functioning autism and the mental capacity of a child, jumped on the boy.

“A (staff member) pulled him off,” said Werner, a children’s pastor at the East Kildonan church. “The person didn’t know what he was doing.”

The incident was over within seconds, he said, and the man’s caregivers had been walking behind him in the moments leading up the incident.

Winnipeg police and paramedics were called to the scene. The boy was “fine” and went swimming with other day camp participants after being checked, said Werner.
Crime may well be a big election issue, but this incident is not a good example of it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Free press reporting a stanger attacked a child infront of other children and staff from the discovery day camp Monday morning at kildonan Park. Crime crime crime will define this election weather the mayoral candidates want to hear it or not.
Speaking of lesser issue's. On my way home from work today I drove past Dakota collegiate and Victor Major junior high. What do I see. Two brand new homely folks moved into the bus shelter right in front of the school. They had two shopping carts and were unpacking their stuff while one slept on the bench. I understand that schools out but sorry to say both schools still have alot of children in day programs and that Bus stop is well used by the area. And yet the city allows another bus shelter to fall.

Where is that little piss head Bowman anyways ? Maybe he should spend some time in the bus shelter.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 9:21 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Speaking of lesser issue's. On my way home from work today I drove past Dakota collegiate and Victor Major junior high. What do I see. Two brand new homely folks moved into the bus shelter right in front of the school. They had two shopping carts and were unpacking their stuff while one slept on the bench. I understand that schools out but sorry to say both schools still have alot of children in day programs and that Bus stop is well used by the area. And yet the city allows another bus shelter to fall.

Where is that little piss head Bowman anyways ? Maybe he should spend some time in the bus shelter.
I'm so utterly disgusted with how useless our leadership is these days between our civic and provincial leadership. Everyone is just sitting on their hands pretending these issues don't exist. Bowman is such a tool. Nice guy, but in way over his head the last 8 years. Clearly not Mayoral material. And don't get me started on the PC party and our inept leadership there either.

I have spoken with so many young people who are fed up with the province- and they are leaving. We are facing a massive brain drain if our political leaders don't wake up and address all of the issues we are seeing post-pandemic. At this point, I will vote for any mayoral candidate that has some reasonable ideas/solutions for 1) infrastructure , 2) crime and 3) homelessness/drug use. And it's truly a shame that these issues are likely going to overshadow any visionary ideas for the city.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 9:41 PM

why blame Bowman. it was Matt Allard who spearheaded the stop to remove KP bus shelter and he rallied enug bleeding hearts to state the case and all fell in line and it never happened.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:45 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
why blame Bowman. it was Matt Allard who spearheaded the stop to remove KP bus shelter and he rallied enug bleeding hearts to state the case and all fell in line and it never happened.
Because the plan was doomed from the start. They needed a plan that would address the determinants of health. The plan was literally to just kick them all out of the bus shelters instead of putting together a team that would move them out and help them to address their own issues. You can't kick all these people out and not have a plan to address their most basic needs. That's the only way this city will ever be able to address the homelessness and substance use issues- operate from a harm reduction model. Help people to get what they need.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Because the plan was doomed from the start. They needed a plan that would address the determinants of health. The plan was literally to just kick them all out of the bus shelters instead of putting together a team that would move them out and help them to address their own issues. You can't kick all these people out and not have a plan to address their most basic needs. That's the only way this city will ever be able to address the homelessness and substance use issues- operate from a harm reduction model. Help people to get what they need.
Why does this have to be accommodated on the backs of transit users, though? Is it too much to ask homeless people to use the many existing homeless shelters and resources?

This letter to the editor in the Freep comes to mind... I feel for anyone who has no choice but to ride the bus these days. It sounds like it sucks now.

Quote:
Letters, June 29
Posted: 2:00 AM CDT Wednesday, Jun. 29, 2022
Last Modified: 8:11 AM CDT Wednesday, Jun. 29, 2022 | Updates

Transit fares optional

A year and a half ago, I had a seizure and MPI took my licence away. Since then, I’ve been forced to take Winnipeg Transit and I absolutely hate it.

It’s annoying and frustrating when I have to pay more than $100 per month for a bus pass and then I’m forced to watch person after person getting on the bus without paying. Equally annoying is having to stand in the cold wind or rain because most of the bus shelters are full of passed-out people, garbage, urine, fecal matter and other disgusting things.

I have many videos that show people just walking on the bus without paying or even acknowledging the driver. This is a major issue Winnipeg Transit turns a blind eye to because it is too afraid to deal with. Then, all additional costs and fare increases are passed on to the honest customers like myself who pay for a bus pass.

How about we let everyone who takes a bus know that just walking on without paying is a totally acceptable option? Or, are there different rules depending on who you are?

Richard Reginald Vandale

Winnipeg
The Millennium Library is a drop-in centre and homeless shelter now, parks are increasingly homeless shelters, so are buses and bus shelters, how long until swimming pools and rec centres also become homeless shelters? Is any municipal facility off limits besides City Hall?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 5:20 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Why does this have to be accommodated on the backs of transit users, though? Is it too much to ask homeless people to use the many existing homeless shelters and resources?

This letter to the editor in the Freep comes to mind... I feel for anyone who has no choice but to ride the bus these days. It sounds like it sucks now.

The Millennium Library is a drop-in centre and homeless shelter now, parks are increasingly homeless shelters, so are buses and bus shelters, how long until swimming pools and rec centres also become homeless shelters? Is any municipal facility off limits besides City Hall?

I don't disagree with you, but the problem is the lack of social services in the downtown core. When I worked with PACT (program for assertive community treatment) we spent hours and hours trying to connect with 3 homeless people trying to get them into our service. We literally chased them around for days and weeks going to many of the places you noted. At first, all 3 avoided us and when we did connect, were adamant they didn't need our help- until they became aware of what we could provide- food, housing, clothing. The basic necessities.

This is the type of service you need for the downtown core. A group of providers that will ensure that these people can have their basic needs met. That will keep them out of the bus shelters and off the street and maybe help to address some of the mental health issues and substance use issues.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:13 AM

There are a small number of chronic, long-term homeless who've been downtown for years. Like the guy with dreadlocks who spends all day in the skywalk between Winnipeg Square and 200 Graham. I'm guessing all the social services workers know them and can't help them due to various mental health problems. They certainly have no problem asking passersby over and over every day, though.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I don't disagree with you, but the problem is the lack of social services in the downtown core. When I worked with PACT (program for assertive community treatment) we spent hours and hours trying to connect with 3 homeless people trying to get them into our service. We literally chased them around for days and weeks going to many of the places you noted. At first, all 3 avoided us and when we did connect, were adamant they didn't need our help- until they became aware of what we could provide- food, housing, clothing. The basic necessities.

This is the type of service you need for the downtown core. A group of providers that will ensure that these people can have their basic needs met. That will keep them out of the bus shelters and off the street and maybe help to address some of the mental health issues and substance use issues.
Too bad it isn't just the core .

They have taken over bus shelters in South St Vital even. Homeless encampments are everywhere. So I don't go with your idea that the core needs more. The entire city is now a mess.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Too bad it isn't just the core .

They have taken over bus shelters in South St Vital even. Homeless encampments are everywhere. So I don't go with your idea that the core needs more. The entire city is now a mess.
Ultimately, if we kick the homeless out of the bus shelters but put nothing else in place, they will seek shelter in another location that we find undesirable. I agree that the bus shelters need to be used for their intended purpose and not as a homeless shelter, but simply kicking them out and doing nothing else only moves the problem.

Are there enough shelter spaces in the city? If there are and they are going unused, why? The best bet would be to ask the experts: the people who are using the shelters as homes. That's the first step to actually solving this problem.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 3:34 PM

What did homeless people do up until three years ago when bus shelters suddenly became fair game?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan