HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 1:33 PM

Thumbs up

Picture by me, sorry for the bad angles as I can only take photos from the ground by foot. It would be interesting to see their progress from an aerial view though.

Last edited by CanadianDriverYXE; May 22, 2022 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 3:31 PM

Thanks for the photos CanadianDriverYXE. I'd driven by recently a saw how much was sticking up above the fencing, so it's nice getting a closer look at it.

Hopefully now that they into the phase of putting in place the steal frame, the pace on this picks up substantially!

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 4:31 PM

I can't wait to see it in our skyline, in my opinion any addition to our skyline is better than having no development at all, looking at google maps there are still so many surface parking lots ripe for new and better developments.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 6:06 PM

Rentals starting at 975? Seems dirt cheap, especially if it matches the finishes in the broadway location... although I guess the city did give them the land for free.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:17 PM

why would you guess the land was free and not guess they paid for it?

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 6:30 PM

The developer bought the vacant lot from the City of Saskatoon for $4 million in 2018.

Baydo's tax break (Baydo’s abatement over 5 years is slightly less than the $2.4 million break proposed for a now-shelved condominium project at the top of the Broadway Bridge last year. (So Nasser was getting the same break for Highpoint condo) Still cheap land but not free.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 10:06 PM

My balcony was also noticeably less dusty once the hole was dug. Really helps improve the quality of the air without one less dusty gravel surface parking lot with our most population dense block. Even if it’s just a hole for a whole haha

The biggest net benefit is how it should slow down the wind on fifth avenue and make it more enjoyable as a street. The current layout of towers make that street a wind tunnel, but the misalignment of the street on 25th should dramatically improve this I think.

Economic value all around when you remove stinky surface lots. City should give them away for free. How is the province getting away with owning a dusty surface parking lot right next to The Bessborough

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
City should give them away for free. How is the province getting away with owning a dusty surface parking lot right next to The Bessborough
I wonder what the point of the province owning a parking lot is. Are they holding it for an investment? If a Sask party person ever knocks on my door I'm going to complain about that. One of the most opportune spots for the downtown with all the foot traffic by that spot. I say build a condo similar to No. 1 river landing with shops/restaurants at the bottom. Or just leave it as a parking lot forever...

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domthic View Post
I wonder what the point of the province owning a parking lot is. Are they holding it for an investment? If a Sask party person ever knocks on my door I'm going to complain about that. One of the most opportune spots for the downtown with all the foot traffic by that spot. I say build a condo similar to No. 1 river landing with shops/restaurants at the bottom. Or just leave it as a parking lot forever...
I think that they think about it as much as their degraded cabinet office downtown - that’s in their buddy North Prairie Developments building - who also lacks thinking about their old credit union lot that’s got a “this ATM will be closing July 2013” sign anniversary coming up lol

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 3:40 AM

Stopped by the site to sneak some photos from outside the hoarding. A few observations:
  • The core walls seem to now be cast-in place using a conventional forming system.
    Lots of sloped steel for the parkade ramps.
    The concrete slabs appear to be a two-step operation. Firstly, a precast slab with reinforcing cast in. Secondly, a topping slab gets poured, covering the reinforcing. Base slabs with reinforcing are visible in the 3rd & 4th photos.
    Judging by the last picture, it doesn't look like much is happening on the south half of the site.

Really missing roryn1's photos...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 1:01 PM

thanks for the effort crisis! starting to look legit!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 3:34 AM

Here are a few recent photos --- sorry for the delay, but life got in the way. The second crane base has been in for a while. The site still looks like a mess to me, but I'm not in the industry so what do I know.

Last edited by Roquentin; Jun 9, 2022 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 12:53 PM
What could go wrong?

When do they cover the main floor with mud? I kid, I kid...

Thanks for the pictures.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
The site still looks like a mess to me, but I'm not in the industry so what do I know.
You know enough to recognize a mess when you see one.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 3:15 PM

Looks pretty normal to me when you don't have alot of space for storage. Been on a few sites like this myself, main thing is keeping it organized for the safety aspect. Maybe you see something in the pictures I don't.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 3:25 PM
I am the law!

Holy Moly. They actually got the street side completely dug out under the tower being built. Looks like they hired a competent firm for the second tower excavation and shoring.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:05 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Holy Moly. They actually got the street side completely dug out under the tower being built. Looks like they hired a competent firm for the second tower excavation and shoring.
And thanks to the steel frame construction the towers should climb fairly rapidly.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 2:28 PM

Here's a good glimpse of how they did the broadway project under/over:

https://www.icfmag.com/2022/01/baydo...ments-parkade/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 6:34 PM

Last edited by CanadianDriverYXE; Jul 3, 2022 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
Here's a good glimpse of how they did the broadway project under/over:

https://www.icfmag.com/2022/01/baydo...ments-parkade/
Perhaps the level of criticism directed to Baydo needs to be tempered a bit. I had no idea they had won an award for how they built the parkade portion of tower on Broadway. Gotta give credit where credit is due, people!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan