HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Noticed the Sandman Signature hotel near the airport is still under construction after I don't know how long. I don't mean to be mean, but will the two guys building it move to the related hotel/condo project downtown at True North Square once they are done?
Sandman does things their own weird way. I remember it took an absurdly long time to get their previous hotel built by the airport when it went up like 12-15 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:33 PM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/parking-...says-1.5947369

Parking minimums strike again! I hope this gets a variance at appeals. The idea that the parking requirements of private businesses should be centrally decided is absurd.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/parking-...says-1.5947369

Parking minimums strike again! I hope this gets a variance at appeals. The idea that the parking requirements of private businesses should be centrally decided is absurd.
So no gravel parking lots allowed then? Does that mean I can appeal to the city to get that parking lot for the soccer facility at the U of M paved?

It always grinds me that the the first soccer complex ended up with a trash parking lot and then when we built one up on Leila that it's a Cadillac lot that's twice as big as it needs to be.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:47 PM

It’s ridiculous because Artists Emporium is essential for many of my friends in architecture that live in the North and West End. The U of M bookstore is just too far for a lot of the students and Michael’s inventory in comparison is trash for students.

In fact the U of M bookstore is supplied by Artists Emporium if I remember correctly so it’ll be really interesting to see how this plays out.

But yes parking minimums are outdated, promote car dependency, and make densification much harder. It’s not feasible to keep them in 2022 (they really should have never been implemented but you can say that for a lot of postwar urban development and zoning.)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:34 PM

^ Appeals unanimously granted the variance.

Not exactly the end of parking minimums, but I appreciate every crack in that particular dam.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 5:39 AM

With travel on the upswing, another hotel chain merger has been proposed. Choice has agreed to pay $675M for Radisson Americas.

A little background. The family that owned Radisson dithered on succession planing but eventually chose to sell the business to a Chinese company. The Americans did not like this so the company was forced to operate separately as Radisson Americas and Radisson (rest of world). It remains to be seen if Choice will attempt to buy the other portion of Radisson.

Affected Winnipeg properties:

Radisson Americas (2) - Radisson on Portage downtown, Country Inn and Suites on King Edward near the airport

Choice (7) - The Fort Garry on Broadway downtown, Quality Inn on Pembina near Grant, Clarion on Portage near Polo Park, Comfort Inn on Sargent near the airport, MainStay Suites on King Edward near the airport, Econo Lodge at Dakota and St. Mary's, Comfort Inn on Pembina near the Perimeter.

It will be interesting to see if Canad Inns keeps the Radisson flag for the Radisson downtown or re-flags the property to something else.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 2:15 PM

The Towne Cinema is closing indefinitely (although supposedly not permanently), Landmark Cinemas cites staffing shortages

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...576636162.html

This is the last remaining mainstream cinema in downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Towne Cinema is closing indefinitely (although supposedly not permanently), Landmark Cinemas cites staffing shortages

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...576636162.html

This is the last remaining mainstream cinema in downtown Winnipeg.
When will downtown ever rebound ?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 4:42 PM
surely you agree with me

Shit. That’s my theatre. Only one I go to. Was just there last weekend for Top Gun. Was reasonably busy.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 9:02 PM

Nathan's detroit sandwich joint downtown closed after 40 years now

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Nathan's detroit sandwich joint downtown closed after 40 years now
Really? That sucks. I don't know how it was the last 10 years but before then it was a great place.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Shit. That’s my theatre. Only one I go to. Was just there last weekend for Top Gun. Was reasonably busy.
I remember going there in my teens. Was 15 and my buddy 16. We were rebels back then, Listenit to Judas Priest ( Turbo lover ) clueless as how to get to the Towne 8 and ended up driving down bunch of one way streets the wrong way in his dad's brand new jeep. I think we went and seen Back to the Future 2. lol

I always remember that place as being PACKED. I even think smoking was still allowed 85/86? But I always wondered how they managed to stay afloat with such small screens in the present day of age. Did they ever reno the place ?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I remember going there in my teens. Was 15 and my buddy 16. We were rebels back then, Listenit to Judas Priest ( Turbo lover ) clueless as how to get to the Towne 8 and ended up driving down bunch of one way streets the wrong way in his dad's brand new jeep. I think we went and seen Back to the Future 2. lol

I always remember that place as being PACKED. I even think smoking was still allowed 85/86? But I always wondered how they managed to stay afloat with such small screens in the present day of age. Did they ever reno the place ?
There's actually one or two really large screens in that theater.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:00 AM

Office workers need to get back downtown and help get the area back to normal with people in the shops , coffee houses and restaurants. More residential will help but I wonder how many of the estimated 72,000 workers are back downtown right now ?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
My Towne heyday was from around 1990 or so until the mid-2000s. Used to go there all the time. In the early 90s it was often packed. It dropped off sharply in the mid 90s, around the time the Silver City cinemas opened up. From the mid-2000s on it was typically pretty empty.

I haven't been in there in about a decade, although it's not just the Towne... I don't go to many cinemas at all these days, really.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My Towne heyday was from around 1990 or so until the mid-2000s. Used to go there all the time. In the early 90s it was often packed. It dropped off sharply in the mid 90s, around the time the Silver City cinemas opened up. From the mid-2000s on it was typically pretty empty.

I haven't been in there in about a decade, although it's not just the Towne... I don't go to many cinemas at all these days, really.
I saw Master of Disguise in that theatre in the early 2000s. I brought a mickey of rye with me. It was great. Not so packed. I went to the Garrick way more often back then.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 6:09 AM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I saw Master of Disguise in that theatre in the early 2000s. I brought a mickey of rye with me. It was great. Not so packed. I went to the Garrick way more often back then.
I know you’re lying, because Master of Disguise and great can’t be used in the same paragraph unless great is followed up with ‘disappointment’.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:10 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I know you’re lying, because Master of Disguise and great can’t be used in the same paragraph unless great is followed up with ‘disappointment’.
Am I not turtley enough for the turtle club?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 11:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Turtle club is for those who splug the manholes downtown seriously though I've been in most of them running fiber crazy the things u find under the streets downtown....

Not familiar with the sandwich shop mentioned above where was it?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
With a mickey of rye, anything can be great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan