HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Haha apparently it’s a popular topic. On a skyscraper/construction forum haha.
I'll meet you in the Wawanesa thread for further discussion on this

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 8:10 PM
surely you agree with me

fun census map. Downtown Winnipeg close to 20,000 people.

https://censusmapper.ca/maps/3054#13/49.8957/-97.1127

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 1:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow interesting lynn lake was the only community that grew in northern mb aparently

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wow interesting lynn lake was the only community that grew in northern mb aparently
Increase is due to people from area reserves moving to Lynn. Could probably add another +150 people to that total that wouldn't have been included in the census, due to housing composition/trust in government within the community.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 9:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Increase is due to people from area reserves moving to Lynn. Could probably add another +150 people to that total that wouldn't have been included in the census, due to housing composition/trust in government within the community.
the census was done proper it is growing.

we could be back to 2000 in the next decade if things keep doing what they are doing with gold and if the nickel mine actualy move forward it could get booming up here

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:

we could be back to 2000 in the next decade if things keep doing what they are doing with gold and if the nickel mine actualy move forward it could get booming up here
Census wasn't done properly. This is one of this big issues the Town has when attempting to access funding for community and health programs. They don't have an accurate reflection of their population due to the transient nature in Town.

If they can convince Alamos to not set up a work camp and engage a company to bring RTM homes into the community there is possibility it could see new life again, though I suspect a work camp will be the scenario. Alamos is already looking to install their own hydro substation in Town for the sake of supplying power to it.

All of this is terribly unfortunate as it has the bones to be a great little Town at the end of the road. Unfortunately our provincial government doesn't have the foresight to engage in life cycle planning for our norther industry towns and would rather just pull out the resources without contributing back to them.

There has even been talk of one day granting reserve status to the Town of Lynn Lake simply due to the shift in population makeup of the community and resources required for them

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:03 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:

Adrian, are you now the biggest landlord in the area?

I remember you stating that you could buy houses ridiculously cheap, fix them up and rent them out or flip them.
Sounds like you got in at the right time

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 4:36 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Census wasn't done properly. This is one of this big issues the Town has when attempting to access funding for community and health programs. They don't have an accurate reflection of their population due to the transient nature in Town.

If they can convince Alamos to not set up a work camp and engage a company to bring RTM homes into the community there is possibility it could see new life again, though I suspect a work camp will be the scenario. Alamos is already looking to install their own hydro substation in Town for the sake of supplying power to it.

All of this is terribly unfortunate as it has the bones to be a great little Town at the end of the road. Unfortunately our provincial government doesn't have the foresight to engage in life cycle planning for our norther industry towns and would rather just pull out the resources without contributing back to them.

There has even been talk of one day granting reserve status to the Town of Lynn Lake simply due to the shift in population makeup of the community and resources required for them

work camps are the way it is its realy hard to get people to relacate for these jobs theres staff wanting to but they wana be out in the bush on 10acres town needs to put pressure via the LGD (lynn lakes area is 10x10 miles if u didnt know

and alamos is active in the community doing things. whats hurt thigs is poor adminstration in the town and bad councles. had periods of none and then a greedy idiot that does not understand outside box thinking wanting to charge 20k for empty lots i can as privi citizen can get for 1k a pop. current guy seems good moved here from flin flon.

the reserve status thing for lynn was yrs ago the racist idiots on councle shot it down as the province was fighting with the feds and thus we have mile 21 marcel colomb now.

as for the substation thats cause hydro wants 1mi a pole from the exisiting substation to feed them. so they bought land next to it off the town though i think the town ripped them off considering its all tailings landfill.

theres also big push for the old nickel mine right now as well

as for the comment about my houses 1 is rented out the others i need time to fix up i get so busy being the everything guy at work and the town handyman i rarely have time for my houses burning out sucks
im small patatos most land lord in town are slum lord witch also has hurt the town

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 10:24 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

as for the comment about my houses 1 is rented out the others i need time to fix up i get so busy being the everything guy at work and the town handyman i rarely have time for my houses burning out sucks
im small patatos most land lord in town are slum lord witch also has hurt the town
wow, you sound hella busy. hopefully you get compensated well.
How many homes do you own now?

I was jk about you owning the town
Unfortunately slum lords corner the market almost everywhere in North America it seems.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 1:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

Unfortunately slum lords corner the market almost everywhere in North America it seems.
5 if i get them all done its a nice nest egg

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 1:37 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
5 if i get them all done its a nice nest egg
good for you, dude

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 1:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

Ya, it’s becoming apparent how unethical it is for people to be profiting off the housing market. I’m sure 1ajs is a good person and not a slumlord but anyone who owns a home that they are themselves not living in is contributing to the problem. Housing should not be something for others to profit from and use as a “nestegg”. Landlord isn’t a real job, it doesn’t provide any value to society and actually diverts money away from other parts of the market that could be used in much more productive and useful way. Then again, someone has to do it since our governments have decided that public housing isn’t something they want to do anymore, which is something that needs to change.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jul 23, 2022 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Ya, it’s becoming apparent how unethical it is for people to be profiting off the housing market. I’m sure 1ajs is a good person and not a slumlord but anyone who owns a home that they are themselves not living in is contributing to the problem. Housing should not be something for others to profit from and use as a “nestegg”. Landlord isn’t a real job, it doesn’t provide any value to society and actually diverts money away from other parts of the market that could be used in much more productive and useful way. Then again, someone has to do it since our governments have decided that public housing isn’t something they want to do anymore, which is something that needs to change.
Yeah, screw landlords. They're always selfishly making money by providing housing to people who don't own their own house. I wish they would just get out of the way, and let housing conjure itself into existance the way nature intended. Like my landlord was so greedy, they had the gall to buy not one but two single family homes from willing sellers and build a 40-unit apartment on the site. They honestly thought they deserved to collect rent from 38 new families, just because they did a little bit of work by paying for the construction, maintenance, and management of the building. And this whole self-interested plan was able to work just because there were more people that wanted to live in this area than there were places to live in - absolutely sickening.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 5:17 PM

Landlord good/landlord evil; another discussion destined to go in circles forever, because both are true at times.

Some landlords treat their renters like vermin and happily let their properties decay to the point of being unlivable.

Others get royally screwed by tenants who destroy the owner's property and skip out on rent. Personally I'm still owed a couple thousand dollars I'll never see again by a pair of real aces who begged and pleaded not to be thrown out, then skipped leaving a busted shower, wrecked floors, scratched walls and a burned-out mattress in the back yard. Good and bad stories on both sides.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Yeah, screw landlords. They're always selfishly making money by providing housing to people who don't own their own house. I wish they would just get out of the way, and let housing conjure itself into existance the way nature intended. Like my landlord was so greedy, they had the gall to buy not one but two single family homes from willing sellers and build a 40-unit apartment on the site. They honestly thought they deserved to collect rent from 38 new families, just because they did a little bit of work by paying for the construction, maintenance, and management of the building. And this whole self-interested plan was able to work just because there were more people that wanted to live in this area than there were places to live in - absolutely sickening.
I think you’re missing my point. You obviously don’t understand that Canada has a housing crisis. Anyways, there is nothing special about landlords except their access to capital. There is nothing innovative about having private money purchase and rent out homes vs the state or a cooperative doing it. It’s actually worse because you are building up the equity of someone who is already privileged in the first place instead of building up social investments that the public can benefit from while ordinary Canadians are squeezed out of the market by people with greater sums of money available. So yes, screw landlords. They are a scourge on our society. I (used to) have a friend who has built up a real estate empire in Regina, so I am aware of the true motivations most of his ilk have. Sorry, but reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad, doesn’t make one a genius.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jul 23, 2022 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Landlord good/landlord evil; another discussion destined to go in circles forever, because both are true at times.

Some landlords treat their renters like vermin and happily let their properties decay to the point of being unlivable.

Others get royally screwed by tenants who destroy the owner's property and skip out on rent. Personally I'm still owed a couple thousand dollars I'll never see again by a pair of real aces who begged and pleaded not to be thrown out, then skipped leaving a busted shower, wrecked floors, scratched walls and a burned-out mattress in the back yard. Good and bad stories on both sides.
My point isn’t about how individual renters are treated by landlords and vice versa, though there is merit to that discussion. My point is that we now live in a society where the dream of owning your own home with a modest income is now a fantasy and it is largely due to a segment of the population that exploited interest rates and the market to profit from basically doing nothing at all, with the aid of pro-free market governments, creating a situation where a majority of our economy is based on housing. This is not how you create an equitable and sustainable society and everyone is in for a rude awakening once the high wears off (as it currently is).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 9:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

And when the markets are under valued no one wants to own remember seeing that in wpg in the 90's so all the slumb lords took over

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And when the markets are under valued no one wants to own remember seeing that in wpg in the 90's so all the slumb lords took over
A similar thing happened here in Sask. It was a tremendous failure of government policy born out of the Thatcher/Reagan/Mulroney era. As someone who grew up in public housing, I certainly know the value of it and I hope we smarten up as a society and give our most vulnerable people a chance, while allowing young working Canadians a chance at owning their own home and building their own equity without going into debt for their entire lives.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 8:50 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I did landlording for awhile, bought my current home in 16 as the market was going through the roof in our area but wasn't planning to retire and move out here till later in 18. I used a property management outfit to do the dirty work for 10%. The tenants were happy and I was happy. For example I was getting a roof put on the house and the tenants complained the roofers were using their power. The management company told me this and I offered a small rent reduction that month. Everyone was happy!

Some people just don't want to own a home. Others want to make a bit of extra cash, others like me wanted a caretaker for a period of time. I feel it worked out well for everyone. YMMV.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I did landlording for awhile, bought my current home in 16 as the market was going through the roof in our area but wasn't planning to retire and move out here till later in 18. I used a property management outfit to do the dirty work for 10%. The tenants were happy and I was happy. For example I was getting a roof put on the house and the tenants complained the roofers were using their power. The management company told me this and I offered a small rent reduction that month. Everyone was happy!

Some people just don't want to own a home. Others want to make a bit of extra cash, others like me wanted a caretaker for a period of time. I feel it worked out well for everyone. YMMV.
Totally. But again, Canada has a housing crisis and there are many people who want to own a home who are unable to because of the greed that took it over. There is no rational reason why Canada has some of the most expensive house prices in the world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan