HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Isn't the lawyer on the appeal the King of the NIMBYS. I think he's behind all the appeals in Society Hill as well. Derailing replacing the ACME on 5th and I believe he's spearheading the Sheraton tower appeal as well.
Sounds like I may need to file a bar complaint against Boni for bad faith, frivolous litigation...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:59 PM

From my vantage at Drexel, it looks like there is some sort of equipment on site. Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 5:09 AM

Unhappy

No, I walked pass there today. The lot is a ghost town, nothing there but a fence. There is some construction equipment in the middle of 20th Chestnut St., so 20th Street is partially closed between Walnut and Chestnut.

Last edited by Inquizative; Feb 6, 2019 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 8:37 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Anyone know who is the general contractor of this project?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:07 PM

thelaurelrittenhouse
Wraparound corner residences with sweeping, wall-to-wall views of the city.

Nice video here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BstA9ItDd87/

https://www.instagram.com/thelaurelrittenhouse/?hl=en

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:03 PM

what we need to see is a building permit

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:15 PM

Yeah - why hasn't this started yet?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:22 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yeah - why hasn't this started yet?
I suspect bidding process for the GC is ongoing since that hasn't been named yet. The groundbreaking was just ceremonial. I'm hoping a GC gets announced this month and they can really start working in March.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I suspect bidding process for the GC is ongoing since that hasn't been named yet. The groundbreaking was just ceremonial. I'm hoping a GC gets announced this month and they can really start working in March.
GC *has* to be on board by now, especially if they are going to start in march.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:41 PM

Everyone knows that groundbreaking ceremonies are just ceremonies. But there's an expectation that a developer has everything set before holding one. I have a hard time believing that any developer would plan such a public spectacle without knowing who their GC is or (more importantly) how much it's going to cost to build the damn thing.

Do banks normally finance projects when the developer doesn't even know the construction costs? (Maybe they do, I genuinely don't know)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:15 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Well, in some instances, when the developer has the groundbreaking ceremony, the next business day, heavy equipment and work begin. So groundbreaking usually signals the immediate start of construction. In this case, ground breaking was last September and here we are, with no real movement at the site.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:24 PM

I didn't realize it was back in September. I guess it's been so long that I forgot. Having such a public spectacle and then no action for half a year isn't good optics. What then was the purpose for doing the ceremony so far in advance of actual work? I don't get it. I can't spin it any which way to make it positive. Any ideas?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:09 PM

There is a tower crane tentatively scheduled to go up 4 weeks from now on this site but site work says otherwise.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:13 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead401 View Post
There is a tower crane tentatively scheduled to go up 4 weeks from now on this site but site work says otherwise.
Nice...thanks for the heads up. AmQuip crane?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:38 AM

Not to be doom and gloom, but I get the strange feeling this situation has been repeated, more than once for this location. However, on a brighter note, I've never seen the whole lot fenced off, this is the closest I've ever seen them get to actual construction of something. The NIMBY's have successfully chased off every potential development at this location for years and years. I don't get it, maybe they prefer that blank spot. Anyone notice any signage saying, "financed by XXX Bank?" Usually the general contractor's company signage goes up well before any actual construction. The developer's signage is typical, we've seen many a developers signage with their depictions of a dream building, and nothing comes into fruition, consider, "The American Commerce Center"....remember that beautiful dream? Rittenhouse Square is like a Colgate smile with a tooth missing. I'll wait and see.....

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:15 PM

not too bad.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizative View Post
Not to be doom and gloom, but I get the strange feeling this situation has been repeated, more than once for this location. However, on a brighter note, I've never seen the whole lot fenced off, this is the closest I've ever seen them get to actual construction of something. The NIMBY's have successfully chased off every potential development at this location for years and years. I don't get it, maybe they prefer that blank spot. Anyone notice any signage saying, "financed by XXX Bank?" Usually the general contractor's company signage goes up well before any actual construction. The developer's signage is typical, we've seen many a developers signage with their depictions of a dream building, and nothing comes into fruition, consider, "The American Commerce Center"....remember that beautiful dream? Rittenhouse Square is like a Colgate smile with a tooth missing. I'll wait and see.....

I think you're wrong about NIMBY's effect in this location. What past proposals are you thinking about? Granted that this site has a evil spell on it, but bad timing and really bad proposals aren't the blame of NIMBY's (they get too much credit on these pages; outside of Society Hill they aren't that big of a force)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I think you're wrong about NIMBY's effect in this location. What past proposals are you thinking about? Granted that this site has a evil spell on it, but bad timing and really bad proposals aren't the blame of NIMBY's (they get too much credit on these pages; outside of Society Hill they aren't that big of a force)
I'm not sure what the hold-up here is, but I'm not sure what NIMBY's it would be. The final plan for the Laurel was reached through a pain-staking compromise with many constituencies that addressed design, height, affordable housing, preservation, etc...I think everyone was left satisfied except perhaps the church across the street.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:47 PM

An update..

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:03 PM

Good. I will be very surprised if this is completed before 2022, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive