HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
While there I got some free transit passes for the town we were in. We decided we could go without a second car and I would use transit as needed. The amount of colleagues who expressed concern seeing me waiting at a bus stop outside the base was both bizarre and amusing at the same time. I got concern about everything from my financial well-being to my family life to my mental health. They really couldn't fathom our decision to be a one car family. Transit was seen as something for just the poor or infirm. And this was in a well off town where transit was clean and decently organized (for small town America).

Strangely though, I found people were much more accepting of active commutes like biking, jogging or longboarding to work. Transit seemed to be their only hang up.
I had the same experience. Despite frankly nicer more reliable busses than Ottawa. In the morning especially I would often be the only non-immigrant. Another white (or black) passenger was rare and those that were seemed like they were on the way to an AA meeting. The drivers would often speak to me in Spanish.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Transit seemed to be their only hang up.
A techbro buddy of mine had a work trip to California a while back, confessed to having taken the b-b-bus to the office there, and though he must have been sprouting horns the way people looked at him.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation