HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Start of transit priority measures.

https://twitter.com/ladybugspicnic/s...24489834983428
Nope. The curbside transit priority lanes were extended west to Sherwood several months ago. What those cones are doing is taking the new transit priority lanes away from buses and reserving them for bicycles only. Its a COVID councillor special. This is going to add delay for buses as 1) they won't have a transit priority lane anymore, and 2) they will be delayed pulling in and out of the "bike lane".

I think the permanent transit priority reconstruction for this stretch is scheduled for next year, but I'm not sure.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Nope. The curbside transit priority lanes were extended west to Sherwood several months ago. What those cones are doing is taking the new transit priority lanes away from buses and reserving them for bicycles only. Its a COVID councillor special. This is going to add delay for buses as 1) they won't have a transit priority lane anymore, and 2) they will be delayed pulling in and out of the "bike lane".

I think the permanent transit priority reconstruction for this stretch is scheduled for next year, but I'm not sure.
Well that's unfortunate. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post

One more among many reasons why painted bike gutters are dumb.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
One more among many reasons why painted bike gutters are dumb.
One more example of Transit Always Loses Out in Ottawa.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 3:52 PM

Timeline shifting again based on the Civic Hospital planning committee on October 4. At the 1:29 mark, staff say that Bayswater to Bronson has been pushed back to 2026. Hospital to Lincoln Fields post-2031 due to lack of funding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqZpc-4hl0

I was under the impression, a few years back, that Carling was to see transit upgrades to reduce the impacts of Stage 2 construction. Now it's beyond Stage 2. Likely beyond Stage 3 (LRT! LRT! LRT! - Watson version of Ford's SUBWAYs! SUBWAYs! SUBWAYs!)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Timeline shifting again based on the Civic Hospital planning committee on October 4. At the 1:29 mark, staff say that Bayswater to Bronson has been pushed back to 2026. Hospital to Lincoln Fields post-2031 due to lack of funding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqZpc-4hl0

I was under the impression, a few years back, that Carling was to see transit upgrades to reduce the impacts of Stage 2 construction. Now it's beyond Stage 2. Likely beyond Stage 3 (LRT! LRT! LRT! - Watson version of Ford's SUBWAYs! SUBWAYs! SUBWAYs!)
It is true the city is broke after paying for stages 1 and 2 of the LRT as well as all the repercussions of COVID. The only way stage 3 will be built any time soon is if it is fully funded by the province and the feds (which could happen, especially if Sudds gets a cabinet position), but I can't imaging them fully paying for transit priority measures unfortunately, so it will have to wait for the city to cough up the money.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 5:18 PM

This and the Baseline BRT are total no-brainers. Currently, OC Transpo funnels all the traffic on a single corridor, hence no redundancy. While BRT may not have the same capacity as rail, it's good to have a backup if the rail system is down. Also there needs to be more crosstown options for people not travelling downtown.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppa View Post
This and the Baseline BRT are total no-brainers. Currently, OC Transpo funnels all the traffic on a single corridor, hence no redundancy. While BRT may not have the same capacity as rail, it's good to have a backup if the rail system is down. Also there needs to be more crosstown options for people not travelling downtown.
Carling LRT is pointless since it will be very poorly connected to downtown (or anywhere else). Carling currently has a number of bus routes and I would hate to see those routes (further) truncated to accommodate LRT only from Line 2 to Lincoln Fields.

BRT measures on Carling would provide the flexibility to both speed up service and continue to provide a variety of direct crosstown routes. I think one Carling bus route (85) east of Lincoln Fields should run into downtown as was the case for decades and we should re-instate Route 3 along Preston and to the south. All our fiddling around with bus routes in the area does not encourage ridership.

I also hope that someday that we could build the Rideau River bridge between the General Hospital Road and Nicholas Street, so that one of the Carling crosstown routes could run again at least to Hurdman Station and perhaps beyond to the east.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 12:12 PM

Carling LRT would need to go beyond Carling for the full benefit. If it could somehow hit Lansdowne (or near there), St. Paul's, Greystone Ville and end at Hurdman, then we would have a solid crosstown route that avoids downtown completely.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 12:27 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I still think an alignment along the Queen Elizabeth Driveway either to make it a pedestrian friendly tram like you see in Europe or a cut and cover tunnel (since there’s no businesses on the QED to disrupt) then normal road running on Elgin is the best way to connect a Carling LRT to downtown. It serves most of the areas that would want a Bank Street subway and Old Ottawa East, which is otherwise tricky to serve. Any other routing would surely need expensive tunneling.

Maybe along Chamberlain/Isabella, since the highway is already right there? With a short zig on Bronson? But that doesn’t serve Lansdowne, which seems like a shame to miss.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Carling LRT would need to go beyond Carling for the full benefit. If it could somehow hit Lansdowne (or near there), St. Paul's, Greystone Ville and end at Hurdman, then we would have a solid crosstown route that avoids downtown completely.
I really like your idea. Feels so weird to me that Lansdowne has never been connected to the train system plans to date. I don't think Banks street subway (lol) would ever make much sense, so an extended Carling tram that connects to Lansdowne and continues towards the Elgin street area would be wild to see.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
On a side note, does anyone know what happened to Eric Darwin?
Quote:
I wonder the same thing...
I just noticed he posted a comment on a local blog . Maybe he just got tired of posting to Westsideaction... ?
https://hansonthebike.com/2022/07/11...#comment-30459

Last edited by vtecyo; Jul 17, 2022 at 4:13 AM. Reason: edited to add context

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 11:15 PM

They've started resurfacing the road between Bronson and Booth last night. I assume this is part of the same project. I couldn't tell from what they were doing if it will include the new bus lanes, platforms in the middle of the street and new bike tracks...
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents/files/carling_churchill_bronson_en.pdf

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
They've started resurfacing the road between Bronson and Booth last night. I assume this is part of the same project. I couldn't tell from what they were doing if it will include the new bus lanes, platforms in the middle of the street and new bike tracks...
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/documents/files/carling_churchill_bronson_en.pdf
Unfortunetly that part of the project is unfunded, the only portion being done is the bus lanes from Sherwood to Lincoln Fields

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 11:37 PM

From the project page (https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...2-91349e4f5929)

It shows a diagram of the project scope.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:42 AM

Of course... why would they wait to repave until the final design is funded and save money in the long run.

That's silly - it's SO much better to repave the road now using the old design - and then go back and tear it up in a couple of years and spend even more.

Last edited by vtecyo; Aug 17, 2022 at 4:43 AM. Reason: clarification

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Of course... why would they wait to repave until the final design is funded and save money in the long run.

That's silly - it's SO much better to repave the road now using the old design - and then go back and tear it up in a couple of years and spend even more.
That's the City's MO, like when they were building the Bayshore-Moodie Transitway fully knowing they would be tearing it up in a few years for rail. They cheap out on little things, but have no issue wasting millions on stop-gap projects.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Scott / Albert just had a shave and pave between Empress and Parkdale (not quite sure how far west), that entire portion is expected to be rebuild in the next 2 years.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:29 PM

Quote:
That's the City's MO, like when they were building the Bayshore-Moodie Transitway fully knowing they would be tearing it up in a few years for rail. They cheap out on little things, but have no issue wasting millions on stop-gap projects.
To be fair, at the time the Bayshore-Moodie Transitway was built, the plan was to have the OTrain end at Bayshore. As a result the Transitway would have been usable until Stage 3, so they expected to get at least 10 if not 15 years of use out of it. It wasn’t until they realized it was cheaper to extend the line to Moodie (where they could get land for free from the NCC) than it was to buy the land they need at Bayshore for layover bays, that the plan changed.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
To be fair, at the time the Bayshore-Moodie Transitway was built, the plan was to have the OTrain end at Bayshore. As a result the Transitway would have been usable until Stage 3, so they expected to get at least 10 if not 15 years of use out of it. It wasn’t until they realized it was cheaper to extend the line to Moodie (where they could get land for free from the NCC) than it was to buy the land they need at Bayshore for layover bays, that the plan changed.
When did they start construction of the Moodie extension? Stage 2 extension to Moodie was announced February 2017 and the Transitway extension opened December 2017. So unless they had the contracts approved for the Transitway extension before the Stage 2 extension was announced, and cancelling the contract would have been nearly as expensive as building it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moodie_station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation