HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
CBC Ottawa has created a page for LRT (read: Confederation Line) developments:

http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/features/LRT/
Great site. Good on CBC for developing a single link to archive their stories. No doubt there will be many, many more stories added as construction continues.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:58 PM

Let's just name all the stations after Conservative Prime Ministers

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 8:26 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubberDom View Post
Let's just name all the stations after Conservative Prime Ministers
That's one way to ensure no one can remember where they're going.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 8:38 PM

As literal and geographical as possible would be a good (only) rule for any station naming.

No political, metaphysical or existential!

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 11:56 PM

Stations should always be named in this order:

1) Communities (i.e. Tunney's Pasture)

2) High importance landmarks (i.e. uOttawa, Rideau Centre)

3) Major streets (i.e. Blair (Road), Cyrville (Road))

If a case in 2 is more valuable than a case in 1 (i.e. Rideau Centre) then append it (i.e. Rideau Centre - Lower Town).

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 12:29 AM

Tunney's Pasture isn't a community. The station should be Holland, both the major street name and, more importantly a major historical commemoration, which you left off your list, but should be there as 2b.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 1:27 AM
National Capital Region

Tunney's Pasture has had what? 50-60 years of history as a federal complex to it? Plus whatever life it had as Tunney's pasture before that? Like it or not, the name now has history.

If the London Tube can have a Shepard's Bush, we can have a Tunney's Pasture.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Tunney's Pasture has had what? 50-60 years of history as a federal complex to it? Plus whatever life it had as Tunney's pasture before that? Like it or not, the name now has history.

If the London Tube can have a Shepard's Bush, we can have a Tunney's Pasture.
Of course we can have it, I'm not denying that Tunney's Pasture is a thing or a place; but it isn't a community (and probably never will be) and Holland is a better and more meaningful name on multiple levels.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Of course we can have it, I'm not denying that Tunney's Pasture is a thing or a place; but it isn't a community (and probably never will be) and Holland is a better and more meaningful name on multiple levels.
Personally, I think Tunney's Pasture Station would be a better name, kinda like Queen's Park Station in the Toronto subway. Perhaps a compromise could be what they did with the signage at Queen's Park Station; have Tunney's Pasture as the station name with Holland Street in smaller lettering underneath so people would know what the local street is.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 3:46 AM

It's not like everyone using the system is going to be a bunch of tourists! Why do we need to change any of the names? Everybody knows where the stations are now that use the transit system as well as a lot of people who don't. The only two that need a name change are the Downtown ones. My vote is for everything from Tunney's to Blair to remain the same!

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
It's not like everyone using the system is going to be a bunch of tourists! Why do we need to change any of the names? Everybody knows where the stations are now that use the transit system as well as a lot of people who don't. The only two that need a name change are the Downtown ones. My vote is for everything from Tunney's to Blair to remain the same!
+1 Makes sense to me.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 1:58 PM

I think we are going to eternally regret not placing a station at or next to Confederation Square. It is the absolute and psychological centre of the city. Our most cherished landmarks are within a few blocks, Parliament Hill, Chateau Laurier, NAC, Rideau Canal, City Hall. It is THE gathering spot for major public events and celebrations. It is a lost cause now, but we are deliberately placing stations away from the centre of the city with nothing between O'Connor and Nicholas. We will be thinking about this 50 years from now. Another bad civic decision made much like building the MacDonald-Cartier bridge and ruining King Edward Avenue forever. I know it was deemed to not be cost effective and technically difficult but this is a 100 year choice that we have made.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I think we are going to eternally regret not placing a station at or next to Confederation Square. It is the absolute and psychological centre of the city. Our most cherished landmarks are within a few blocks, Parliament Hill, Chateau Laurier, NAC, Rideau Canal, City Hall. It is THE gathering spot for major public events and celebrations. It is a lost cause now, but we are deliberately placing stations away from the centre of the city with nothing between O'Connor and Nicholas. We will be thinking about this 50 years from now. Another bad civic decision made much like building the MacDonald-Cartier bridge and ruining King Edward Avenue forever. I know it was deemed to not be cost effective and technically difficult but this is a 100 year choice that we have made.
While it is very much a compromised, flawed, and short sighted decision as per usual for Ottawa's leaders and their constituency.

However, can someone with the technical expertise explain/confirm the future opportunities and possibilities of adding a Confederation/Elgin stop in a decade or two?

Is it possible/feasible?
Has it been done in other places?
What are the numbers $$ we'd be looking at?
How long would the disruption to the line be?
Could it remain operational while being constructed?

Thanks!

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ottawa Sun article;

Downtown West; Lyon or Place de Ville

Downtown East; Metcalfe, Parliement, World Exchange or Confederation (requires O-Train station name change, maybe to Heron)

Campus; University or University of Ottawa

Train; Stadium, Tremblay or rename the VIA and the ORT stations after someone deserving

No other changes.

But, while we are at it, lets play the name game for the western extension;

Westboro; Metropole (I don't like the surrounding street names)

Dominion; Westboro

Baseline; Algonquin or Algonquin College

Downtown West: Place de Ville - Sounds fancy in both languages.
Downtown East: I like Confederation but I know the other one would have to change. What about something like Central or Downtown Station?
Campus: uOttawa, simple, bilingual and understood by its students and alumni. Calling University/Université is an unnecessary amount of letters and presumptuous, considering Carleton University exists in Ottawa, as well.
Train: I think the city should come up with a good name for the stadium and name the station after it.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post
While it is very much a compromised, flawed, and short sighted decision as per usual for Ottawa's leaders and their constituency.

However, can someone with the technical expertise explain/confirm the future opportunities and possibilities of adding a Confederation/Elgin stop in a decade or two?

Is it possible/feasible?

Thanks!
A station at Elgin would be very close to Downtown East. If we add a station there then the other 2 have to be shift west to balance things out.

But I agree, we should build 3 stations from the get go. But this is just Ottawa being cheap as usual.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 3:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I think you are spot-on. This is the heart of the city but at the moment pedestrian traffic is quite low considering its importance in the capital. Station exits dumping thousands of transit users into the square and environs would have done a lot to make it more vibrant.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 3:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
When you say Tunney's Pasture Station, I and almost everyone in the region knows exactly where that is. Holland... not so much.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haussmanniste View Post
Downtown West: Place de Ville - Sounds fancy in both languages.
Downtown East: I like Confederation but I know the other one would have to change. What about something like Central or Downtown Station?
Campus: uOttawa, simple, bilingual and understood by its students and alumni. Calling University/Université is an unnecessary amount of letters and presumptuous, considering Carleton University exists in Ottawa, as well.
Train: I think the city should come up with a good name for the stadium and name the station after it.
I agree on all counts except for Downtown East; Downtown or Central doesn't speak enough to it's location.

On a different note, I will once again jump (no pun intended) into the Confederation Square debate. Although I would have liked 4 downtown subway stations (Bay-Lyon, Bank, Metcalfe-Elgin, Rideau), the fact is we have limited resources; 40-60 million dollars+ interest is a big chunk of change . The city isn't made of money and the Feds and Province had no intention of handing us anymore. Frankly, I'm surprised we got that much funding (surprised, but I still think we were short changed).

I believe the current plan, limited to three stations due to budget constraints, provides nearly the best configuration. Lyon is absolutely at the optimum location, O'Connor might have been better if shifted slightly, but again, budget constraints, and Rideau is at the absolute best location. Sure Confederation would have been fancy and might have impressed a few tourists, but look at the facts.

Why is having the station under Rideau Street provide the best transit solution;

-Multiple connection to the Ottawa's busiest and most important shopping complex;
-Multiple entrances on the busiest pedestrian/bus transit street in the city, providing easy transfers to Ottawa's urban east end bus lines;
-Multiple options to head to the Mackenzie King bridge, the city's transfer point for most urban west end bus lines.

And why was the original Rideau station flawed;

-Angled station presented confusing layouts to the two entrances;
-Lopsided passenger flow between the two entrances; fairly low number of people would have used the NAC entrance since there is little difference in the distance between either NAC or O'Connor to most CBD offices. As for the Rideau Centre entrance, it would have been the only option for thousands headed to the Rideau Centre, Byward Market or transfer to one of the urban bus lines.

And finally, here from the Reevely blog about the Richmond Underground;

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2013/...bly-expensive/

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post

Is it possible/feasible?

Thanks!
One thing to consider is building a pedestrian tunnel from either the O'Connor station or Rideau station to Confederation square. Perhaps even one tunnel from each of these locations joining together at Confederation Square? This could be done at some point down the road once the Confederation line has been built. Plus it would be convenient for anyone in the downtown core wishing to get to the Rideau Centre/Byward Market area and vice versa. It will be especially welcome in the winter months!

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 5:19 PM

I know many here don't like double-barrel station names, but I'm quite partial to them, my favourite systems make frequent use of them, and this is my list!

Naming priorities: I like something that speaks to the surrounding area's history and/or future, I generally try to keep the existing name, and I prioritize names that work easily/smoothly in both languages. I think bilingual names are important for the system, and we have it relatively easy here given the possibility of small spelling differences, e.g.,: Central(e), Parl(e/ia)ment; compare that to say, Brussels, where everything needs a French and Flemish name, with almost no relation between the two!
  • Blair-Innovation (or equivalent) cheesy, yes oh gawd, is it ever, but the idea is to capture the spirit of the cluster around it, one that should be further cultivated with the Spy Campus and CFB-Rockliffe redevelopment over time. It’s an aspirational statement for the futrue of the area. Bilingual and responds to place and context
  • Cyrville Bilingual, established and clearly represents place and context
  • Saint-Laurent ditto
  • GareCentrale-CentralStation (co-locating the Coach terminal is critical to this nomenclature; unless we rename the Train Station, which would be a good idea, since we all know that it isn't central)
  • Hurdman (though I've never really liked this name, I see no obvious alternative with a compelling reason for a change)
  • Lees (ditto)
  • Campus is fine, uOttawa looks good, but might be a bit odd on the ears, especially for the auto-announcement?
  • Rideau (or Centrale-Rideau-Central if that's not used for the Train Station, which I like a little better than the mall-specific Centre-Rideau-Centre). All are bilingual and clearly represent place and context.
  • Confēdēration is my preference, even though it’s a block from the Square; it’s the centre of the line of the same name. Use the bar for English-French simplicity, and rename Confederation O-train to Heron and commit to eventually making that a proper, integrated transfer station. Parlement-Parliament is also good (or doing something CP airlines-ish to substitute for the "e/ia" to make a one-word Parlment name), "Bank" would also be fine.
  • In isolation, I would have nominated Mēmorial, but it's obviously too confusing with the Cenotaph, so I have to scrap that. I'd be good with any of Place-De-Ville, Lyon, Queen, Queen Victoria, Constitution, Escarpement-Escarpment, etc.
  • LeBreton, with a sub-heading for the museum, just like there is now. Bilingual, established and clearly represents place and context.
  • I would love, LOVE Bayview-Roundhouse, and incorporate a "roundhouse" theme into the major new building planned for immediately north of the station for contemporary+historical context, but I don't expect non-train-geeks to share my enthusiasm. In principle, I also like Prince-de-Galles/Prince-of-Wales but it risks confusion, I find surprisingly few people know the name of that bridge, but most know the road, so that's probably out, too. Reference to the Brown family is worthy but a little too parochial. Hintonburg, Dalhousie and Mechanicsville are all somewhat ambiguous given the station’s peripheral location to each of those three neighbourhoods. In the end, I guess I’m okay with just Bayview.
  • Holland get the Dutch involved in design/decoration, commemorate the history of our two countries’ bilateral ties; and, most importantly, do not build a throw-away bus transfer station!

...soooo we keep going west!

• Champlain new station at Island Park. I would also accept Samuel-de-Champlain/Samuel-Champlain
  • Winston-Churchill (Churchill-Roosevelt would also be kinda cool, but the streets are too far apart. That was a fail at the time. I wish Ottawa did more, and more explicit, namings after important global figures, especially if/when they came to town, like Churchill did and made a very important speech. Quotes from Churchill's Cold War speech should be incorporated into the station artwork, along with pics of the Old Pug doing his thing) Obvi, station is moved west a tic or two toward Churchill.
  • Westboro Dominion is moved to westward to where the line meets Richmond. If the ultimate alignment moves the station too far west to call it Westboro, then Kitchissippi, Byron, McKeller, and pretty much any of the North-South streets are good solid names that could serve for a station.
  • The other 1-2 new stations along Richmond-Byron, I don’t care too much, but in principle I like Woodroffe for it's geographic and historic significance (big road, used to be the name of the village), and for the potential of a useful and straight N-S bus from Algonquin to Carlingwood, to the LRT station to the River.
  • Lincoln Fields: I’m okay with this name in English, but it's not bilingual, and Plaines de Lincoln, is pretty terrible (on par with Pré Tunney"). FTR, I would like plain old Lincoln better. (It’s a “shame” this area wasn't abbrevo-portmanteau-ed, to “Richling”, “Carlmond” “Carlirich” or “Richcar” which was the style at the time ;-) )
  • Iris is a nice name, few letters, irises are pretty, it’s the same word in English and French, etc.
  • Algonquin would be my first choice, Baseline, Centrepointe or Baseline-Centrepointe, are all fine, too (although, I have to say that Centrepointe sounds terrible in French to my ears). Other obvi choices: Square-College-Square is clunky, and Nepean is a little ambiguous and confusion-begging.

... to be continued!

Last edited by McC; May 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation