HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Special street signs are an excellent idea for unique and well-defined neighbourhoods like Little Italy. We just need to be careful that they are not overdone as in Toronto, where every street now seems to have some sort of designation. I'll buy "the Annex" or "Chinatown", but "the Garden District" at Queen and Church? Really?
I personally don't mind the overdone special signs in Toronto, it shows each community as being distinct.

I think it should also be done in the rural villages (but not the suburban areas except for their town centres and BIAs as it would be too many for a non-distinct area), organized urban and suburban BIAs and specially distinct areas. The colours of the sign and the language of the distinct part would be based on the local community (unilingual English and unilingual French, as well as other languages such as Chinese for Chinatown, should be acceptable), but the font, language and numbering of the main part of the sign would always be unchanged.

Not acceptable would be reflecting the pre-2001 municipalities, except perhaps for Vanier and Rockcliffe Park due to their small size. However, reflecting pre-RMOC historic communities might be acceptable.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 10:44 PM
National Capital Region

Does anyone else find the "Little Italy" sign on the Queensway overpass a bit, I don't know, on the tacky side? It's difficult to read in daylight owing to the lack of consistent background and at night it's illuminated. The font doesn't even seem right to me (compare to the 'Corso Italia' font).

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ph...008/story.html

I agree something needs to be done about those overpass faces, but not this.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
you know my steez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
The font doesn't even seem right to me
I have a theory:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 12:37 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

OMG it looks like Laverne De Fazio designed that sign.

How do you say barf in French?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 12:52 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Come on, guys. There's a lot of aspects about Little Italy that are tacky that help make it charming.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 1:41 AM

When that overpass is up for rapid replacement (probably in the next 5 years), they should completely paint the new one green and red.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
If parking were of critical importance in choosing a place to go at night, then there would be no Market, no Elgin street, no Chinatown.... Everyone from outside the core would just go to a bar in a mall somewhere.

Bottom line is that if a place is cool and appealing, people will find their way to it. And there is always parking, after all - it's just a question of how far you to walk. You'll never get the strip mall, park-at-the-front-door experience downtown. Make a place attractive and people will walk very far indeed. Ask anyone who took their car to Bluesfest.
I really like Preston street, but I've been burned for parking there, and I've never ever had a problem parking within a couple blocks of my destination in either the Market or on Elgin street. There are plenty of on-street options in both those areas, whereas Preston has no parking zones. And (perversely) it also has zones where people are free to park during the day but prohibited from doing so in the evening.

If the O-Train trench wasn't there and street parking was available on west and east of Preston then it wouldn't be a problem.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 2:59 AM

I like it. It looks nice at night.

http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/2...hristmasy.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 8:05 PM
Busy Beaver

Looks tacky. I doubt it will last long with all the salt spray, vibration and debris from the Queensway. I'm really surprised they went away from the classier sounding "Corso Italia". Little Italy sounds so American.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 8:15 PM
Mooderator

Hmm.. not a fan.

Looks like something you would letter on a baseball jersey.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 9:08 PM

Kinda weird. What about that font and style are supposed to read as Italian? Corso Italia would have been better. Although nothing could be as bad as those "we're-a kind-a busy renovatin', have-a nice time" signs with Guido the fat cheerful pizza-making stereotype they had up during the construction.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 9:27 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
Although nothing could be as bad as those "we're-a kind-a busy renovatin', have-a nice time" signs with Guido the fat cheerful pizza-making stereotype they had up during the construction.
Maybe when they rip up the sidewalks in Chinatown, they could one-up those and put up these signs:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:26 PM
Mooderator

Anyone else notice they now have signs on the Queensway outside of town for Little Italy and Chinatown, telling you what exit to take and how far, etc..?

The eastern one is near Anderson Rd and there's another right at the Bronson exit. not sure about the west end..

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Anyone else notice they now have signs on the Queensway outside of town for Little Italy and Chinatown, telling you what exit to take and how far, etc..?

The eastern one is near Anderson Rd and there's another right at the Bronson exit. not sure about the west end..
I don't have anything at all against these two communities and I understand that they want to get the word out and attract visitors.

However, from a highway signage perspective (and also sign clutter prevention), are Ottawa's Chinatown and Little Italy big enough attractions to warrant mentions on the 416 and 417?

I believe there are (or at least were) signs for Parliament Hill that said something like ''Parliament/Parlement via Parkway/Promenade'' on the major highways, but are there signs pointing the way to the museums, most of which would be much bigger draws than Chinatown or Little Italy?

Anyway, good on the neighbourhoods. They did what they had to do - looking out for number one.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 7:30 PM
Mooderator

The signs are pretty small and are red lettering on white, if I remember correctly... you have to be really alert to see them.

They don't look like your standard MTO signage, that's for sure. It's almost as if someone from the Chinatown and Preston Street merchants went out there and pounded the signs in themselves.

I've never seen any signs for the museums on the 417.. off the freeway, sure.. but not on it. The big maple leaf on blue denoting the Scenic route to Parliament is at the Holly Acres exit and at Aviation Parkway, I think.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 7:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I've never seen any signs for the museums on the 417.. off the freeway, sure.. but not on it. The big maple leaf on blue denoting the Scenic route to Parliament is at the Holly Acres exit and at Aviation Parkway, I think.
That's what I seem to recall as well - no signs for the museums on the 417.

As you said, once off the 417 there are signs within the city itself pointing the way to various tourist attractions.

I've always found it funny that since the museum signs only show the type of museum and don't include the words "Museum" or "Musée", there are actually signs all over downtown Ottawa with arrows pointing towards Quebec that apparently lead the way to "Civilization"!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 11:57 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
there are actually signs all over downtown Ottawa with arrows pointing towards Quebec that apparently lead the way to "Civilization"!
and then there are ones that say this way to "War"

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Hmm.. not a fan.

Looks like something you would letter on a baseball jersey.
My thoughts exactly.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 5:34 PM

Second archway coming to Preston@Primrose.

Quote:
ArielTroster (she/her)
@ArielTroster

So great to meet Leo Bortolotti, the engineer who designed the original Little Italy arch 20+ years ago. The @Preston_BIA is working on installing another one on Preston between Albert and Primrose.

11:57 AM · Oct 12, 2023
·
Views
https://twitter.com/ArielTroster/sta...154652/photo/1

Last edited by J.OT13; Oct 13, 2023 at 5:01 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation