HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 6:22 AM
TL;DR

Interesting that they are using a different system for 43 Green Phase 2.

The precast panel system on Phase 1 was pretty neat, but I guess there were some drawbacks since they went to a traditional concrete frame and light gauge infill on Phase 2.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 1:18 AM

new 7-story, 118-room hotel proposed in Chinatown right near the red line stop at 2116 S Clark St:

Source: @minc798

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 2:29 PM
urbanpln

[QUOTE=Toasty Joe;10103156]new 7-story, 118-room hotel proposed in Chinatown right near the red line stop at 2116 S Clark St:

I'm excited that this area is filling out, but what a weird site for a hotel. I know it's adjacent to the Red Line and there's a senior housing development across the street, but it's just an awkward feeling down there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 2:53 PM

Also what is that drab horizontally-slung suburban thing doing so close to the city? It looks like it's already primed for a reimagining.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 4:31 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
I'm excited that this area is filling out, but what a weird site for a hotel. I know it's adjacent to the Red Line and there's a senior housing development across the street, but it's just an awkward feeling down there.
Excuse my bluntness, but y his is a silly mindset. Once this is built, the street will change and it needs to change as soon as possible since it’s so close to the red line. Ideally this would be even more urban to encourage the space across from it to be developed.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 4:43 PM

I'm all for infill development, but woof.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 5:38 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Excuse my bluntness, but y his is a silly mindset. Once this is built, the street will change and it needs to change as soon as possible since it’s so close to the red line. Ideally this would be even more urban to encourage the space across from it to be developed.
Agreed, but it's still a weird ass place.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 5:46 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Has there ever been plans to develop the open space in the Hillard Apartments complex across from this? That's really what's killing the vibe in the area. It's a full blown street life killer with its fenced off towers in a park design with zero street activation.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:07 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Has there ever been plans to develop the open space in the Hillard Apartments complex across from this? That's really what's killing the vibe in the area. It's a full blown street life killer with its fenced off towers in a park design with zero street activation.
Not that I know of, and the CHA completed the renovation of the property around 2004. I don't believe it will happen anytime soon being that it is on the National Register of Historic Places (designed by Bertrand Goldberg).

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:12 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Agreed, but it's still a weird ass place.
Once its built and there is a building fronting the street the vibe of the location will completely change. Fulton Market used to be weird, industrial and half abandoned too with weedy lots and warehouses. Its completely different now. At one point, someone had to be the first to move in there.

Quote:
Agreed, the corner of Clark and Cermak would be better served by having a multi use building with retail on the first floor. The parking lot further north on Clark should be redeveloped as well (and while we're at it, State and Cermak as well). That land is too close to a red line station to remain so underutilized. I could see the residents of the Hillard Apartments fighting that, although since they are not owners (i assume its all rental) it shouldn't be too difficult for the property owners and developers to get something done.

Besides, who wouldn't want to live right next to a Kong Dog? That sh*t is fire!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:13 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Not that I know of, and the CHA completed the renovation of the property around 2004. I don't believe it will happen anytime soon being that it is on the National Register of Historic Places (designed by Bertrand Goldberg).
Ah, drats. Well that answers my question.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:27 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
And the designation includes the parking lots and green space? I would hope not. That would be a huge blunder so close to so much transit.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 7:02 PM

I'm assuming the Chinatown hotel is aimed at upper middle-class Chinese tourists visiting family or just the city. Probably not the same clientele that a Wanda hotel would've hosted but maybe there will be a few executive suites. Agree the design is meh.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 8:24 PM

Its not like it is terribly far from McCormick, probably a cheaper stay then the hotel there and can still walk it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 9:05 PM

This looks like something from the 80's that belongs in Irving/Las Colinas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
new 7-story, 118-room hotel proposed in Chinatown right near the red line stop at 2116 S Clark St:

Source: @minc798

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 9:30 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
And the designation includes the parking lots and green space? I would hope not. That would be a huge blunder so close to so much transit.
I'm not sure it includes the entire site, but would not be surprised if it does. My issue with that site is not the proposed unattractive building, which is typical in Chinatown, it's the riff raft in that area. I lived 4 blocks from the site until September of this year. That area has revolving homeless encampments and other not-so-savory characters passing through and hanging out, especially in the summer months. I'm a large, athletic, middle-aged man, and I always avoided that area as much as possible. It just feels hostile sometimes.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 9:34 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I'm confused, is this being proposed to be built over the RI tracks?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 3:38 AM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I'm confused, is this being proposed to be built over the RI tracks?
On an adjacent vacant sliver of land to the east of the R.I. track

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 4:19 PM

I realized this hotel is on the other side of Archer Ave from the proposed one that got Ed Burke caught. The same developer previously wanted to build a 15 story hotel on 2116/2150 S Clark

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/1/...-investigation

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 4:44 PM
TL;DR

Based on the width of that building, they must be tearing down the taxpayer building with Kong Dog?

Shame that the initial hotel proposal didn't happen... but it seems like a lot of these Chinatown proposals come and go. Not holding my breath for this new one either, even though Chinatown as a whole is in fact developing in exciting and surprising ways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development