HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
That's ambitious.
I wouldn't expect two minutes on opening day. Might be 5 or 10 initially, but if the tram is ultimately to Plateau, Aylmer and a conversion of the Rapibus, then we might need 2 minute frequency for a 9k capacity along the loop.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 10:16 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Agreed. A tram could easily use single track in the centre section, which is likely the strongest, leaving the cantilevered sections for active transportation.
And that's exactly what it was designed for... a train in the middle, and active horses on either side.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tion-1.7090387

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:11 AM

Bring back horse lanes!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
And that's exactly what it was designed for... a train in the middle, and active horses on either side.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tion-1.7090387
Almost, but not quite it was CPR trains in the centre and trams on the outside, but carriages and pedestrians were also allowed to use the outside. In that photo if you look carefully, you can actually see the tram tracks on the cantilevered section.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 1:50 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Almost, but not quite it was CPR trains in the centre and trams on the outside, but carriages and pedestrians were also allowed to use the outside. In that photo if you look carefully, you can actually see the tram tracks on the cantilevered section.
I didn't say there wasn't a provision for trams and cyclists and pedestrians on the original bridge, I was merely providing evidence that your assertion that it could support a tram in the middle and active transportation on the sides is correct, as it did that and more (a train in the middle).

I'm sure that this has been posted before, but there's some great Interprovincial Bridge info here, including how it was tested, and the first accident on the bridge:
https://www.historicalsocietyottawa....exandra-bridge

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 4:13 PM

Heavy rail (CPR passenger trains) used the centre section of the bridge. Hull electric streetcars ran on the outside with regular traffic. Mind you, the streetcars of that era were pretty short, so nothing like modern articulated LRT.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation