HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 4:02 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Jessup House @ 12+Sansom | 265 FT | 20 FLOORS

Looooove that masonry is making a comeback as of late:

Title: 12+Sansom
Project: Residential, retail
Architect: Perkins Eastman
Developer: Brickstone Reality
Neighborhood: Midtown Village (Gayborhood)
District: Center City
Floors: 20 floors
Height: 265 feet

123 S 12th Street 2-18-21 c

123 S 12th Street 2-18-21

123 S 12th Street 2-18-21 b

123 S 12th Street 2-18-21 e

123 S 12th Street 2-18-21 f

Old design:

Philly tower to be first project for Mass.-based senior-living developer’s new urban-minded division
Quote:
Massachusetts-based developer Benchmark Senior Living plans its first project under its newly formed urban-focused division in Philadelphia at the current site of a parking garage at 12th and Sansom Streets.

Benchmark Wellness Management, as the six-month-old unit has been named, is teaming with developer Brickstone Cos. to build a 24-story tower for residents 62 and older at the Brickstone-owned site, Benchmark said in a news release Tuesday.

It had not yet been decided whether the units will be condo or rental, a Benchmark spokesperson said.

Other developers have acknowledged having retirees and near-retirees in mind for their Center City projects. Carl Dranoff, for example, has said he expects a “silver tsunami” of downsizing empty nesters at his recently announced Arthaus tower on South Broad Street.

Watermark Retirement Communities has long operated a tower with 464 rental apartments and assisted-living units in the city’s Logan Square section. But Benchmark’s project appears to be the first explicitly age-restricted residential tower set to rise as part of Center City’s current wave of building.

“We handpicked Philadelphia for our first development because its Center City revitalization has not only captured our attention, but also the interest of local and suburban boomers,” Denise McQuaide, president and chief operations officer of Benchmark Wellness Management, said in the release.

The Park America garage that the project will replace was acquired by Philadelphia-based Brickstone for $14.5 million in late 2015 from the estate of Samuel Rappaport. The developer had previously said it planned a pair of towers at the site with residential units, along with offices, a hotel or retail, or some combination of those.

The project now planned will have 220 units from 800 to 1,400 square feet, Benchmark said. Amenities at the building, scheduled for completion in 2023, are to include a spa with massage services, a heated pool, and “Center City’s first and only pickleball court,” it said.

Benchmark Wellness Management’s Waltham, Mass.-based parent operates 63 senior living communities with independent and assisted-living units, memory care, and rehabilitation and nursing services, primarily in New England, according to news releases and the company’s website.

Its sole Pennsylvania property is the Wellington at Hershey’s Mill facility in West Chester.

The planned tower will “bring a lifestyle of transformative wellness to Philadelphia’s active, discerning and sophisticated 62-plus population,” McQuaide said in the release. “Those individuals ... want to live in exciting, cultural, urban locations.”

News of the project was first reported by PlanPhilly.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/benchm...-20190703.html

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 27, 2022 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:37 PM

Dang she thicc

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:09 PM

Center City south of Market has always been very dense, especially by US standards. Now that these lots and garages are getting filling and with these larger structures, it’s getting pretty insane (in a good way).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:59 PM

pretty cool; with the hotel planned next door at 11th and sansom and the 2nd phase of east market, that area's going to look a lot different.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the thread! Great project - build it!

Even cooler to think another highrise will be rising directly behind this as well. Blue Ivy Hotel, right?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
Dang she thicc
...like any block-long building oriented on an E-W axis. As with CTC, the slab effect when viewed from N-S is not very attractive.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:04 AM
Philly Pholly

Sansom will be very shady

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:18 AM

From what I can recall from renderings, this should complement the Chestnut side of the East Market development quite nicely.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:58 AM
More of that.

Turn this building into market-rate rentals and the area becomes a basic-bitch reality warp like 15th & Locust. Having the use of this building be for seniors might shock the neighborhood for the better. These people have money and value culture. Could lead to an identity for the surrounding blocks, which it is currently lacking. Just don’t call it ‘Midtown Villag..

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:52 AM

The base is great - masonry.

The rest of it is a sort of hodgepodge of everything being built today -- thrown into one, wide tower. Cement fiber, metal panels, some tinted glass, etc... it's basically two building in one of far as the exterior.

It's certainly not going to win any design awards, but beats a parking garage for sure. The building also has 3 floors dedicated to assisted living units btw - it's a wealthy Senior Center on Sansom--I'm trying to grasp this aspect of it.

Does a well off 70 year old, in good health, who wants to enjoy the city lifestyle and has money to burn, also want to share amenity space with perhaps, 90-95 years olds, perhaps not so much with it anymore mentally, nurses, wheel chairs, etc?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
The building also has 3 floors dedicated to assisted living units btw - it's a wealthy Senior Center on Sansom--I'm trying to grasp this aspect of it.

Does a well off 70 year old, in good health, who wants to enjoy the city lifestyle and has money to burn, also want to share amenity space with perhaps, 90-95 years olds, perhaps not so much with it anymore mentally, nurses, wheel chairs, etc?
They do if they want to "age in place" (which is a big draw, these days). Also, I think these retirement communities tend to separate the assisted living facilities from those for folks who are still self-sufficient. They understand the mindset of the Baby Boomers to whom they are marketing (and on whom their future success depends).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Turn this building into market-rate rentals and the area becomes a basic-bitch reality warp like 15th & Locust. Having the use of this building be for seniors might shock the neighborhood for the better. These people have money and value culture. Could lead to an identity for the surrounding blocks, which it is currently lacking. Just don’t call it ‘Midtown Villag..
I'm not a big fan of 1500 Locust or 15th between Chestnut and Spruce (with some exceptions; Good Dog is great, and there are a few other gems). But what is a "basic-bitch reality warp"?

Last edited by jsbrook; Jul 26, 2019 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:

They can't build these types of communities fast enough in the suburbs to keep up with Boomer demand. A lot of these facilities are amenity laden - their own gyms, restaurants, doctors and nurses on staff, concierge, chauffeur service, laundry service, every room featuring a "help" or "call" button, woodshop, metal shop, trainmaking shop, dance classes, nightly events, etc.

I'm actually surprised we're not seeing MORE of these in the city - seems to be a no-brainer development to me. These are generally well-heeled folks who can afford an amenity laden condo and why not get one in the city with easy airport access for travel, cultural amenities at your doorstep, and hospital access for the inevitable emergency.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
They can't build these types of communities fast enough in the suburbs to keep up with Boomer demand. A lot of these facilities are amenity laden - their own gyms, restaurants, doctors and nurses on staff, concierge, chauffeur service, laundry service, every room featuring a "help" or "call" button, woodshop, metal shop, trainmaking shop, dance classes, nightly events, etc.

I'm actually surprised we're not seeing MORE of these in the city - seems to be a no-brainer development to me. These are generally well-heeled folks who can afford an amenity laden condo and why not get one in the city with easy airport access for travel, cultural amenities at your doorstep, and hospital access for the inevitable emergency.
I’d like to see one take out the giant Avenue of the Arts garage, speaking of 15th Street between Chestnut and Spruce. Hell, it’s so big that this could probably done while leaving SOME of it as public parking. By the way, contrary to popular belief, Parkway does not own this. Hasn’t since about 2011. An Illinois company does that happens to specialize in senior living.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
The base is great - masonry.

The rest of it is a sort of hodgepodge of everything being built today -- thrown into one, wide tower. Cement fiber, metal panels, some tinted glass, etc... it's basically two building in one of far as the exterior.

It's certainly not going to win any design awards, but beats a parking garage for sure. The building also has 3 floors dedicated to assisted living units btw - it's a wealthy Senior Center on Sansom--I'm trying to grasp this aspect of it.

Agree. The base is great. The remainder of the building is just average. I'm not so sure the amenity space will be shared. The first 3 floors for assisted living and memory support look to have their own "activity" and outdoor spaces as well as a fitness space, living and dining spaces, and a "spas".

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agree. The base is great. The remainder of the building is just average. I'm not so sure the amenity space will be shared. The first 3 floors for assisted living and memory support look to have their own "activity" and outdoor spaces as well as a fitness space, living and dining spaces, and a "spas".

Haha. You guys are impossible.

I think the building looks awesome and will be a huge improvement. Not to mention, the type of development this represents could be a whole new "leg up" for development in the city.

I bet we will all be talking about how much better this looks than the renderings when it's done.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:49 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think we all agree it’s a step up from one of the ugliest, squattest garages around.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:51 PM

Wrong thread

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

I think the building looks awesome and will be a huge improvement. Not to mention, the type of development this represents could be a whole new "leg up" for development in the city.

I bet we will all be talking about how much better this looks than the renderings when it's done.
It looks average. Laurel, Arthaus, and Harper all look like nicer exteriors to me to say nothing of the Alexander. Everyone here still wants it built.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

I think that this is 100% a case of "the rendering is worse than the actual product." Look how good that actual rendering is comparative to that Google Earth crap. I think that this building will sit at a solid 6.5-7/10 for me (with the Alexander, FMC, and the Aria being 10/10s for reference).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction