HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 5:51 AM

Suggestion: instead of Gladys, maybe run the east segment down McCallum and have one branch each to UFV and Abbotsford Village (eventually Lower Sumas)?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
This is an idea for rapid transit in Abbotsford that came about as part of my work on regional rail. The idea is to have a central elevated corridor through Abbotsford that would serve both rapid transit and regional rail with hubs at Clearbrook and Abbotsford Central.

I love it, but I'd have it go straight down McCallum maybe with a stop in between.
Im assuming its not skytrain technology because it shares track with regional rail right?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Suggestion: instead of Gladys, maybe run the east segment down McCallum and have one branch each to UFV and Abbotsford Village (eventually Lower Sumas)?
That's an interesting idea. I guess you could have a station at the park and at Marshall. The challenge I see is that McCallum is fairly narrow but it does provide a more direct route to the Abbotsford Centre and UFV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS04 View Post
I love it, but I'd have it go straight down McCallum maybe with a stop in between.
Im assuming its not skytrain technology because it shares track with regional rail right?
Correct. It would be automated but not Skytrain.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
That's an interesting idea. I guess you could have a station at the park and at Marshall. The challenge I see is that McCallum is fairly narrow but it does provide a more direct route to the Abbotsford Centre and UFV.
I imagine that by the time Abbotsford Rapid Transit finally becomes a thing, the west side of the street will be densifying - adding a setback for the viaduct ahead of time should give it the extra room it needs.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:16 AM

Gave Victoria a metro; darker segments are grade-separated, lighter ones aren't.

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Gave Victoria a metro; darker segments are grade-separated, lighter ones aren't.
What are the dashed orange and blue lines?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Does the blue line extend to the airport/Swartz Bay?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetia View Post
What are the dashed orange and blue lines?
Potential future lines that I'm not really sure about but seem like they match up with the current FTN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Does the blue line extend to the airport/Swartz Bay?
You know it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
For the darker segments of the red line, I assume grade separated means above grade through Esquimalt, but I also assume it means below grade through Victoria. How do you propose to do the transition? (Assuming that's what you mean)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
For the darker segments of the red line, I assume grade separated means above grade through Esquimalt, but I also assume it means below grade through Victoria. How do you propose to do the transition? (Assuming that's what you mean)
Doesn't really matter to me - all I know is that there's one too many crossings for at-grade rail to work. Worth noting that the E&N runs through a park though, and the Esquimalt Nation will probably want their surface rights back, so I figure Red will have to duck into a tunnel somewhere around Helmcken; YMMV on whether it should stay there or briefly go elevated again until Victoria West.

Though I suppose if that segment is tunneled, then it doesn't need that weird bend...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure