HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 2:14 AM

Google Maps has finally updated street view for 60th street in front of the Study Hotel and Rubenstein Forum.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
Google Maps has finally updated street view for 60th street in front of the Study Hotel and Rubenstein Forum.
Very cool. If you look closely south down Kimbark, you can see the new Campus South Multi-Use Facility topped out.

Appreciate your updates to this forum! It's the main way I follow all the cool new stuff going on at my alma mater.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Monkey View Post
Very cool. If you look closely south down Kimbark, you can see the new Campus South Multi-Use Facility topped out.

Appreciate your updates to this forum! It's the main way I follow all the cool new stuff going on at my alma mater.
Thanks for the kind comment. As you may know, there is also a web cam (with time lapse) showing the construction and completed building for the Campus South Multi-Use Facility:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...xedusefacility

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind comment. As you may know, there is also a web cam (with time lapse) showing the construction and completed building for the Campus South Multi-Use Facility:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...xedusefacility
Absolutely. I check in regularly. The cladding is coming up, and it looks nice. I'm wondering if the University is still planning to add a couple floors for offices and student athletic center...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. I check in regularly. The cladding is coming up, and it looks nice. I'm wondering if the University is still planning to add a couple floors for offices and student athletic center...
Although I can't find it just now, I thought I read somewhere that the university has scaled back the plan (and eliminated the recenter) after the pandemic financial hit. Would be nice if it were reinstated. Sooner or later they will need to build a new gym to accommodate the growth in the college. If not now, maybe when they build the next dorm...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 6:29 PM

New Engineering and Science Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That is correct, they are two separate projects, totally about $1.3 billion in new infrastructure/building development between now and 2026-27.

The new engineering building will be on the SW corner of Ellis and 56th and will be closer to 700,000 SF, while the new cancer hospital will be on a vacant lot at 57th and Drexel.
It's official.

https://facilities.uchicago.edu/cons...ence_building/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 3:45 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
It's so sad going into the basement of accelerator and seeing the central machine shop say "closed for decommissioning"

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
It's so sad going into the basement of accelerator and seeing the central machine shop say "closed for decommissioning"
Accelerator was sort of a campus icon in its ivy-covered, understated way. Is the new high bay research building working out okay for people?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 5:20 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Accelerator was sort of a campus icon in its ivy-covered, understated way. Is the new high bay research building working out okay for people?
I think it's finally open, like a year late. We're planning on making good use of it!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 10:08 PM

Harper Court Phase II construction imminent:

https://www.hpherald.com/evening_dig...bcf127e4b.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Harper Court Phase II construction imminent:

https://www.hpherald.com/evening_dig...bcf127e4b.html
I'm looking forward to following the progress of this one. It's going to be a big change for that intersection.

Other Hyde Park/U of C projects I'm following in 2023:

U of C's completion of the new Kimbark Parking Garage south of the Midway. It's scheduled to open this month, and I'm curious to see if the University will move on next to remove the parking lot behind the next door Keller Center. I've seen some early visualizations of the project that would extend the landscaped Campus South Walk (formerly the Mid-Block Connector) behind the Rubinstein Center into the Keller Center block.

The new engineering and science building that's set to replace Accelerator. The design should be released this year, and we all know it'll be big. What I'm most interested in is how it will be integrated into the surrounding campus environment. In particular, I'm hoping the designers don't miss the chance to use the building to frame the iconic Nuclear Energy statue just to the east, which Accelerator blocks from the view pedestrians in the North Sciences Quad. A generous entrance way from Ellis Ave. into the Quad would fix that.

The Metra 59th-60th Streets Metra Station. The 60th Street station has been boarded up for decades. With the Obama Center under construction just a block away--and set to open in 2025--Metra will be rehabilitating the elevated tracks and classical underpass. Construction will hopefully start by the end of the year. This will be an unprecedented opportunity for the University to activate a traditionally sleepy part of the south campus. Hopefully, U of C planners are thinking about how to coax Obama Center visitors to turn west onto campus before they get back on the Metra. One suggestion: Put a student bookstore or other amenity in the University Press Building on 60th right next to the station.

Looking forward to finally seeing the opening of the Arts Lawn between Garfield and 55th just west of Washington Park. The University's foothold on the soon-to-be-Campus West is continuing to grow.

I'm also following the University's ongoing pedestrianization improvements. Plans are underway to extend the brilliant pedestrian path along 58th Street west from the Bookstore to Drexel Ave. A landscaped plaza is planned for the old emergency room entrance and parking lot across from Kovler Hall. Although I doubt anything big will be on tap in 2023 in Campus South, I've got my eye on the block between Ingleside and Ellis that houses the Crown Family School of Social Work (formerly SSA). The School's Mies-designed building is a crown jewel on campus, but it's typically overlooked because, I think, the design environment of the block it's on is terrible. Replacing the parking lot on the block with landscaped pedestrian paths would be a good start.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 3:01 AM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to following the progress of this one. It's going to be a big change for that intersection.

U of C's completion of the new Kimbark Parking Garage south of the Midway. It's scheduled to open this month, and I'm curious to see if the University will move on next to remove the parking lot behind the next door Keller Center. I've seen some early visualizations of the project that would extend the landscaped Campus South Walk (formerly the Mid-Block Connector) behind the Rubinstein Center into the Keller Center block.

The new engineering and science building that's set to replace Accelerator. The design should be released this year, and we all know it'll be big. What I'm most interested in is how it will be integrated into the surrounding campus environment. In particular, I'm hoping the designers don't miss the chance to use the building to frame the iconic Nuclear Energy statue just to the east, which Accelerator blocks from the view pedestrians in the North Sciences Quad. A generous entrance way from Ellis Ave. into the Quad would fix that.

The Metra 59th-60th Streets Metra Station. The 60th Street station has been boarded up for decades. With the Obama Center under construction just a block away--and set to open in 2025--Metra will be rehabilitating the elevated tracks and classical underpass. Construction will hopefully start by the end of the year. This will be an unprecedented opportunity for the University to activate a traditionally sleepy part of the south campus. Hopefully, U of C planners are thinking about how to coax Obama Center visitors to turn west onto campus before they get back on the Metra. One suggestion: Put a student bookstore or other amenity in the University Press Building on 60th right next to the station.

Looking forward to finally seeing the opening of the Arts Lawn between Garfield and 55th just west of Washington Park. The University's foothold on the soon-to-be-Campus West is continuing to grow.

I'm also following the University's ongoing pedestrianization improvements. Plans are underway to extend the brilliant pedestrian path along 58th Street west from the Bookstore to Drexel Ave. A landscaped plaza is planned for the old emergency room entrance and parking lot across from Kovler Hall. Although I doubt anything big will be on tap in 2023 in Campus South, I've got my eye on the block between Ingleside and Ellis that houses the Crown Family School of Social Work (formerly SSA). The School's Mies-designed building is a crown jewel on campus, but it's typically overlooked because, I think, the design environment of the block it's on is terrible. Replacing the parking lot on the block with landscaped pedestrian paths would be a good start.
Will there ever be a second recreation center and gym for the south campus? With the added student population there now, it would make sense to opoen one up because the walk to the rec center on 55th street is very far lol

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Will there ever be a second recreation center and gym for the south campus? With the added student population there now, it would make sense to opoen one up because the walk to the rec center on 55th street is very far lol
The University's plan was to include four extra stories on the Kimbark parking garage that would be used for indoor athletic facilities for students living in the new megadorms south of 60th. For budget reasons (I think), they decided to take a pass on that for now. But the building is designed to add floors, so the University might still go that route.

Doesn't help the kids living in Campus South much today, though.

Last edited by Rally Monkey; Jan 24, 2023 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 2:15 PM

Quote:

Nice run-down, thanks. I'm guessing the new science/engineering building will be architecturally significant given its size and place on campus. Will be exciting to see what's proposed.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 3:26 PM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 3:58 AM. Reason: .

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
The university has (somewhat quietly) announced the design team to be HDR + Allison Grace Williams.

I see HDR did the new Argonne building:

https://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/arg...ences-building

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 9:22 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
The university has (somewhat quietly) announced the design team to be HDR + Allison Grace Williams.

This better not ruin the view from the Hubble Lounge in ERC...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
This better not ruin the view from the Hubble Lounge in ERC...
I've never been in the Hubble Lounge, but if it has views northwest to the Loop, those views shouldn't be totally blocked by the new building. But everything else due north, including any views of Navy Pier and Lake Michigan, will almost certainly be gone. My hope is that the new building is set back from ERC by 100 feet or so to at least preserve the ERC's northern views of the Ellis Ave. corridor (including the Nuclear Energy statue) and the North Sciences Quad. But we shall see!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I've never been in the Hubble Lounge, but if it has views northwest to the Loop, those views shouldn't be totally blocked by the new building. But everything else due north, including any views of Navy Pier and Lake Michigan, will almost certainly be gone. My hope is that the new building is set back from ERC by 100 feet or so to at least preserve the ERC's northern views of the Ellis Ave. corridor (including the Nuclear Energy statue) and the North Sciences Quad. But we shall see!
One qualification to that: HEP is coming down, too, as a part of this project. From things I've read, the new science building could top off at 10 stories or more. So if the structure at the HEP site is built that tall, then, yeah, views of the Loop are probably gone from ERC.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 7:01 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development