HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Point Reyes is almost an island!
i'm no geologist, but could that valley from woodville up to point reyes station be the result of a slip fault?

perhaps that whole big chunk of land is an island in a couple million years?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:30 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'm no geologist, but could that valley from woodville up to point reyes station be the result of a slip fault?

Yes Point Reyes has slowly been making its way north I believe.

(from Wikipedia)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

speaking of islands, for as large of a nation as the US is, the lower 48 doesn't have much in the way of really big islands.

with the lone exception of long island, all of the US's 25 biggest islands are in hawaii, alaska and puerto rico.

after long island, there's a huge drop down to #2 in the lower 48.

here are the top 10 largest islands in the lower 48:

1. Long Island, New York - 1,401 square miles

2. Padre Island, Texas - 209 square miles
3. Isle Royale, Michigan - 206 square miles
4. Whidbey Island, Washington - 169 square miles
5. Drummond Island, Michigan - 125 square miles
6. Mount Desert Island, Maine - 108 square miles
7. Marsh Island, Louisiana - 100 square miles
8. Santa Cruz Island, California - 98 square miles
9. Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts - 91 square miles
10. John Island, South Carolina - 84 square miles

for reference, the US's biggest island, Hawaii's Big Island, is 4,028 sq. miles. Puerto Rico comes in at #3 at 3,363 sq. miles

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 28, 2021 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:50 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

point reyes from the western edge looking...northish...really does feel like a breakaway chunk of california sliding off into the pacific. probably my favorite piece of the national park system that isn’t at the national park tier.

(my photo)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 8:58 PM

Pittsburgh and Portland are cousins.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Pittsburgh and Portland are cousins.
i used to work with a portland native and he made portland in the 70s sound like a bit of a mild rustbelt city - not in the sense of white flight but deindustrialization and the port.

but of course the rivers, even the climate to an extent - i can see the parallels. people have been speaking of pgh as the “next portland” for a while now (in the portlandia sense not ANTIFA SUPERSOLDIERS).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 9:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i used to work with a portland native and he made portland in the 70s sound like a bit of a mild rustbelt city - not in the sense of white flight but deindustrialization and the port.
And because pittsburgh got relatively few "great migrators", it didn't suffer nearly as much white flight as the usual rustbelters did, so the analogy with lilly white portland still works.

That said, while I'm sure portland was a much grittier and industrial place decades ago, I don't think it was ever a major heavy industry player with steel plants and rolling mills all over the place like the olden days in pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
And because pittsburgh got relatively few "great migrators", it didn't suffer nearly as much white flight as the usual rustbelters did, so the analogy with lilly white portland still works.

That said, while I'm sure portland was a much grittier and industrial place decades ago, I don't think it was ever a major heavy industry player with steel plants and rolling mills all over the place like the olden days in pittsburgh.
yeah, not on the massive scale of some midwestern cities but far western cities did have (and have) more industry than one might expect due to the relative isolation of the west coast as well as their seaports.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 11:02 PM

Portland is still surprisingly industrial but its mostly light industry these days. Smaller high tech manufacturers. The last boat builder closed up shop a few years ago and I think the biggest players left might be precision cast parts, boeing, Daimler trucks and the port itself. Portland is supposedly Americas number one port for wheat exports.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 4:31 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
. Portland is supposedly Americas number one port for wheat exports.
Now that seems odd to me.

I'm not saying it's not true, but I just cant imagine any US port surpassing new orleans for flyover country agriculture exports.

If you've ever seen the barge traffic carrying the bounty of the heartland down the mississippi, you'd know what I'm talking about.

But perhaps you're right?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:06 AM

Quote:

Yep, the San Andreas Fault runs right up that valley (and created that linear valley) and continues north through Tomales Bay. You can even see a fence that was shifted about 20 feet in the 1906 quake at Pt. Reyes Station.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
point reyes from the western edge looking...northish...really does feel like a breakaway chunk of california sliding off into the pacific. probably my favorite piece of the national park system that isn’t at the national park tier.

(my photo)

Pt. Reyes and everything west of the San Andreas will ultimately move northwest towards Alaska. Also all of coastal central and southern CA. L.A. and San Diego on the Pacific Plate will ultimately be north of San Francisco in maybe 50 million years. SF is just barely attached to the N. American Plate. It is possible that the Pacific Plate part of Calif. west of the San Andreas may actually form an island out in the Pacific as it slides north away from the N. Am plate. The Gulf of Calif. may move north towards Nevada. Nevada may have an arm of the Pacific.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The northern Channel Islands, especially San Miguel, have fairly large populations of Great White Sharks because of the large seal populations. You have to be careful going in the water there, or diving. The water is cold anyway, so few do. There are Bishop Pine Forests on parts of Santa Cruz Island, and a few stands of Torrey Pine on Santa Rosa Island. Santa Cruz island has some oak woodlands as well. Catalina has scattered oaks and Catalina Ironwood trees in the mountains and canyons.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Now that seems odd to me.

I'm not saying it's not true, but I just cant imagine any US port surpassing new orleans for flyover country agriculture exports.

If you've ever seen the barge traffic carrying the bounty of the heartland down the mississippi, you'd know what I'm talking about.

But perhaps you're right?
dryland wheat farming in the upper western plains and inland west i’m guessing. the ports in portland and puget sound are convenient to the east-west railroads up there. you get about halfway across plains states like south dakota and you’re physically closer to portland, and you’re using trucking and rail long distance up there either way.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The northern Channel Islands, especially San Miguel, have fairly large populations of Great White Sharks because of the large seal populations. You have to be careful going in the water there, or diving. The water is cold anyway, so few do. There are Bishop Pine Forests on parts of Santa Cruz Island, and a few stands of Torrey Pine on Santa Rosa Island. Santa Cruz island has some oak woodlands as well. Catalina has scattered oaks and Catalina Ironwood trees in the mountains and canyons.
San Miguel = Sea Doggo Island

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:25 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Nobody need not worry about me going in the water (I can’t swim and am afraid of large bodies of water). I’m just there for the views.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:58 AM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Not Kansas City. It's in the ideal east-fading-into-west location and wouldn't be the same if it were somewhere else.
It's not the geographical location that bothers me. I just wished the KS/MO State Line didn't go right through the heart of the metro area. The Missouri and Kansas Rivers do enough of that as it is. I would love to see how much stronger the city of Kansas City MO would be if the state line was 20 miles east or west of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:02 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
It's not the geographical location that bothers me. I just wished the KS/MO State Line didn't go right through the heart of the metro area. The Missouri and Kansas Rivers do enough of that as it is. I would love to see how much stronger the city of Kansas City MO would be if the state line was 20 miles east or west of downtown.
John Brown is dead, maybe it's time for another armed confrontation with Kansas?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Portland is still surprisingly industrial but its mostly light industry these days. Smaller high tech manufacturers. The last boat builder closed up shop a few years ago and I think the biggest players left might be precision cast parts, boeing, Daimler trucks and the port itself. Portland is supposedly Americas number one port for wheat exports.
They get all the wheat from the Palouse, much of which is exported.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
Doesn't the city function as a single metropolitan area? Not as if there was a fence at the boundary, especially since much of the boundary is the river. Although different tax policies and other laws could complicate things I suppose. How do Kansas City KS & MO feel about the other city? Is there a rivalry? If I lived there, I would just regard it as different parts of a single city, just like East & West Berlin are now. When police chase a suspect, do they stop at the state line?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions