HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:23 AM

Cool CHICAGO | One Chicago | 971 FT & 574 FT | 78 & 49 FLOORS

A wild supertall has appeared in the zoning applications... no renders yet, just schematics.

914 units | 200,000 sqft retail | 45,000 office | 659 parking

Developer is JDL - https://jdlcorp.com

Zoning Application - https://chicago.legistar.com/View.as...3-684EDA8E2BA6

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 23, 2019 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:45 AM
The City

This spells the end for that block of Dearborn being anything more than a glorified alley for auto exit/entries, but hot damn I'll take it!

The loss of some of those lowrise buildings will be unfortunate, but if this goes forward as proposed then it's a huge improvement over that massive parking lot.

My only complaint is that I have always envisioned this lot having a small park/plaza facing Holy Name Cathedral. Too bad there is zero open space.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:06 AM
Show me the blueprints

Holy...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This spells the end for that block of Dearborn being anything more than a glorified alley for auto exit/entries, but hot damn I'll take it!

The loss of some of those lowrise buildings will be unfortunate, but if this goes forward as proposed then it's a huge improvement over that massive parking lot.

My only complaint is that I have always envisioned this lot having a small park/plaza facing Holy Name Cathedral. Too bad there is zero open space.
Yes I agree...it would be nice if they somehow incorporated a park that sat at the base of this grand tower..would be the perfect compliment for this building and area ... who knows still a possibility if alderman plays hardball and requests it

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:15 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Mostly residential with a big retail base.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Here's an interesting point from the zoning app:

Quote:
The Applicant acknowledges and agrees that the rezoning ofthe Property from the DX-7 Downtown
Mixed-Use District to the DX-12 Downtown Mi.\ed-Use District
and then to this Planned
Development (PD) triggers the requirements of Section 2-45-115 of the Municipal Code of Chicago
(Affordable Requirements Ordinance or ARO). Any developer of a residential housing project within
the meaning ofthe ARO must: (i) set aside 10% of the housing units in the residential housing project
(Required Units) as affordable units, or with the Commissioner ofthe Department of Planning and
Development's (DPD) approval, provide the Required Units in an approved off-site location; (ii) pay
a fee in lieu of the development of the Required Units; or (iii) any combination of (i) and (ii);
provided, however, that residential housing projects with 20 or more units must provide at least 25%
ofthe Required Units on-site or off-site. If the developer elects to provide affordable units off-site,
the off-site affordable units must be located within a two-mile radius from the residential housing
project and in the same or a different higher income area or downtown district. The Property is
located in a downtown district within the meaning of the ARO and the project has a total of 914 units.
As a result, the Applicant's affordable housing obligation is 91 affordable units (10% of 914, rounded
down), 23 of which are Required Units (25% of 91, rounded up).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:19 AM
Show me the blueprints

Wait wait wait... why is that little one story turd of building on the SW corner being shown as staying?!?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just a tad bit on the parcel parameters. A beefy tower, probally the likes of Vista with that sq-footage. Chunky base. From the app:

Permitted floor area ratio (FAR):

Quote:
The maximum permitted floor area ratio (FAR) for the Property shall be in accordance with the
attached Bulk Regulations and Data Table. For the purpose of FAR calculations and measurements,
the definitions in the Zoning Ordinance shall apply. The permitted FAR identified in the Bulk
Regulations and Data Table has been determined using a net site area of 96,218 square feet and a base
FAR of 12

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Wait wait wait... why is that little one story turd of building on the SW corner being shown as staying?!?
I'm assuming that JDL does not own the property and was either unable or uninterested in acquiring it and thus had to plan around it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I'm assuming that JDL does not own the property and was either unable or uninterested in acquiring it and thus had to plan around it.
Probably some hard-knock landlord who wouldn't budge a damn bit, even if given a huge incentive. Sometimes you get those folks. The ones that just don't want to sell no matter what. As eminent domain isn't an option, they gotta deal with it unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:53 AM

Its been a while since I have been there but that small building referred to here is a restaurant. One of the few in that area that stays open all night if memory serves correctly. Kind of a late night gathering spot after a night of bar hopping. It always felt safe... was a fun, lively little place and the food was good. So long as it does not interfere with development of this supertall, keeping the restaurant in the neighborhood could turn out to be a good thing. Spots like these add something to the urban experience.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Oct 11, 2017 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:18 AM
The City

^ I agree. Small buildings in a sea of highrise actually add texture and interest to the streetscape

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:42 AM

Can someone post pictures of the low rises that are coming down for this?

Edit: Never mind, I see them now.

Those should be retained, not the shitty restaurant (by the looks of the food) and dry cleaner. Why must every large building in Chicago be built over a goddamn parking podium?

I'd rather this thing stay on the back burner until the rules are changed around that. Build the two towers. Leave the three 19th century buildings as is. Tear down the building on the corner as soon as possible (small buildings are nice, one-story buildings with zero architectural interest are not).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:48 AM
THAT Guy

A little nervous to see what a 1000' HPA tower looks like, but can't say I don't like the massing. Surprised like others that there isn't much park/open space as part of the development. Also sucks that only the unimportant low rise building on that block will remain, but not totally surprising.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:50 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Can someone post pictures of the low rises that are coming down for this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8961...7i13312!8i6656

Not the biggest loss, but still a shame to lose that sort of human scaled vintage building stock, especially in this part of downtown. Certainly hurts more knowing the crap at the corner of Superior and Dearborn will be sticking around.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:51 AM

^ Yep.

I suppose it's an ugly area anyway, given what's on the blocks to the west and south.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:52 AM
1st Ward

BTW, someone needs to tag this thread to Chicago P&C

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:54 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ Yep.

But it's an ugly area anyway, given what's on the blocks to the west and south.
Especially immediately to the west. Yuck. A near brutalist 80's highrise, with a fugly attached parking garage taking up most of the block.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:59 AM

NICE! I can't wait to see the renderings. Hoping the design turns out well. Worried that some people/Reilly will want to turn it down considering what happened nearby with that other 70+ story building. I guess the "positive" thing is that the parking entrance looks pretty big and it's on Dearborn.

BTW Architects are Hartshorne Plunkard and Goetsch

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:02 AM

^ It's a positive thing that this part of River North is basically a sea of parking garages with no street life?

We shouldn't be building parking into buildings anymore. Uber exists, and self driving cars are coming soon. It isn't necessary anymore.

I bet they'll stick a blank concrete wall behind that worthless little building on the corner (which will now never be economical to replace) as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive