HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
What were you trying to post there? something about Nelson? Your link doesn't seem connected.
Dope.
https://www.nelsonstar.com/news/west...rom-covid-dip/

Edited to correct the link.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 6:14 PM

Vancouver area home prices could drop 15%. Feel bad for anyone who closed in the first 3 months of this year.

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — Home prices in the Vancouver area could drop as much as 15 per cent due to the economic hit brought on by COVID-19.

Modelling shared by credit rating agency DBRS Morningstar outlines two scenarios of what could happen by 2022.

There is a moderate scenario, which is based on containing the virus spread sooner and the economy starting to recover later this year, or the more adverse scenario based on greater losses and disruptions to daily life happening longer than expected.

“This is probably a two to three year timeframe we’re looking at, so 2022 is probably a reasonable timeframe for those prices declines if this were to materialize....

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/05...drop-pandemic/

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Vancouver area home prices could drop 15%. Feel bad for anyone who closed in the first 3 months of this year.

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — Home prices in the Vancouver area could drop as much as 15 per cent due to the economic hit brought on by COVID-19.

Modelling shared by credit rating agency DBRS Morningstar outlines two scenarios of what could happen by 2022.

There is a moderate scenario, which is based on containing the virus spread sooner and the economy starting to recover later this year, or the more adverse scenario based on greater losses and disruptions to daily life happening longer than expected.

“This is probably a two to three year timeframe we’re looking at, so 2022 is probably a reasonable timeframe for those prices declines if this were to materialize....

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/05...drop-pandemic/
As whatnext says that our market is owned by foreign Chinese so we don’t have to worry about price decreases in Vancouver. Infact, the Chinese economy is booming right now while the CAD is lower so prices should go up.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Condo sales in Greater Vancouver have gone up from 22/day last week to 37/day this week.

It’s just an update so don’t scream sources or something negative. Believe what you will.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Condo sales in Greater Vancouver have gone up from 22/day last week to 37/day this week.

It’s just an update so don’t scream sources or something negative. Believe what you will.
Y'know, anybody could just drop things like this and then say "don't question my numbers, believe what you will."

Condo sales in Greater Vancouver have gone down from 22/day last week to 17/day this week. It's just an update so don't scream sources or something negative. Believe what you will.

What's the difference between me saying what I said and you saying what you said? With no verifiable source of data either one of us could be correct. That's why people respond negatively to you, you're prone to doing this sort of thing very often.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Y'know, anybody could just drop things like this and then say "don't question my numbers, believe what you will."

Condo sales in Greater Vancouver have gone down from 22/day last week to 17/day this week. It's just an update so don't scream sources or something negative. Believe what you will.

What's the difference between me saying what I said and you saying what you said? With no verifiable source of data either one of us could be correct. That's why people respond negatively to you, you're prone to doing this sort of thing very often.
You'll see if it was true at the end of month and therefore be able to judge the merits of the stats that person posts in the future.

Sales are up, and listings are slow to trickle in. My observations are generally inline with what Misher is saying. Condos around $750,000 are trading at near or all time highs.

Doesn't mean were about to enter a massive bull market, but its true for now. More reasons than I care to list why that might change, but no downward price pressure yet.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
You'll see if it was true at the end of month and therefore be able to judge the merits of the stats that person posts in the future.

Sales are up, and listings are slow to trickle in. My observations are generally inline with what Misher is saying. Condos around $750,000 are trading at near or all time highs.

Doesn't mean were about to enter a massive bull market, but its true for now. More reasons than I care to list why that might change, but no downward price pressure yet.
There must be a lot of foolish buyers then who can’t see how this recession might claim their jobs. Plus I suspect there is a lot of HK money coming in through Canadian passport holders in advance of what appears to be the looming crackdown by China.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
There must be a lot of foolish buyers then who can’t see how this recession might claim their jobs. Plus I suspect there is a lot of HK money coming in through Canadian passport holders in advance of what appears to be the looming crackdown by China.
So you're telling us you have expertise in macro economics and geopolitics. I'm more interested in just guessing and being right.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
So you're telling us you have expertise in macro economics and geopolitics. I'm more interested in just guessing and being right.
Sounds like you have a vested interest in pimping real estate, given how defensive you get when anyone dares suggest the party is over. You’re not Bob Rennie or Ian Gillespie are you?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:40 AM

Real estate is going down people. Read the room FFS.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:58 AM

The mere fact that this thread is titled "Real Estate 'Bubble' at 30-year peak" and was started 10 years ago pretty much says all you need to know about predicting the Vancouver housing market.

Whatever happens, happens.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
The mere fact that this thread is titled "Real Estate 'Bubble' at 30-year peak" and was started 10 years ago pretty much says all you need to know about predicting the Vancouver housing market.

Whatever happens, happens.
Lol someone got ownt!

Seriously though it’s way too soon to be predicting things.

And that includes HK, we were talking about how we may see a large boost during the last protests but it didn’t happen. I suspect most Canadians who were going to come back from HK already have and the remainder are staying as their jobs are too lucrative to leave.

I suspect HK would need to get a lot worse than before for the Canadians there to leave.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
I suspect HK would need to get a lot worse than before for the Canadians there to leave.
Ummm, been reading the news lately?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...135932850.html

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Ummm, been reading the news lately?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...135932850.html
Yes, but I imagine most will still wait things out and only consider leaving when they see how this plays out. If you know you have the option of fleeing, why the hurry?

All in all it’s another reason why China cannot be trusted and needs to be contained as a global power though.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
All in all it’s another reason why China cannot be trusted and needs to be contained as a global power though.
It's a Co-Prosperity Sphere, what's there not to like about it?

[/s]

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:36 AM
BANNED

Vancity predicting stability.

Quote:
Taken together, these factors – along with the Government’s active role in providing economic stability – mean it’s doubtful that housing prices will fall to “fire sale” territory, even if the economic uncertainty associated with the COVID-19 pandemic persists for a long time.

As a result of the strong lending standards in place in Canada, our view is that prices will remain stable over the foreseeable future, without big or persistent changes upwards or downwards.
https://blog.vancity.com/should-i-bu...d-19-pandemic/

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:33 AM
BANNED

There’s been a lot of large detached and commercial land acquisitions recently.

Quote:
KingSett partners on Richmond industrial site
Acquisition with PC Urban Properties an indication of institutional investors piling into Metro Vancouver real estate
https://www.westerninvestor.com/news...ite-1.24140916

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 5:12 AM

Here's a recent update on the Greater Vancouver housing market from Steve Saretsky, the local realtor with solid data. "I have been tracking data on a weekly basis for the Bank of Canada. It’s unquestionably difficult to try and discern any trends in the Real Estate market on a weekly basis, but we are starting to get a sense of how buyers and sellers are behaving."

"Weekly sales over the past four weeks have averaged 43% lower than last years levels. That is incredibly weak considering last April/May was the slowest in nearly two decades."

"However, new listings are also very low, at the beginning of April they plunged 65% and have since been steadily increasing as the number of COVID-19 cases slow. As quarantine measures ease, new listings are picking up. They have increased for three consecutive weeks." His graphic suggests that last week new listings were still 20% below last year.

"Prices are all over the place, as should be expected when volumes collapse. Ironically, condos, which were the hottest segment of the market pre-virus, are now seeing the most downwards pressure in terms of pricing. I have condo prices down about 5% across the board, you call it the “COVID discount”. Detached house prices appear to be holding up thanks in part to low inventory."

He also notes CMHC's recent forecasts suggest a 9% to 18% price reduction across Canada in the next year. Obviously local markets will see differences.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post

Right, so the May market highlights are out. misher said that halfway through May sales of condos were increasing from 22/day for the first week to 37/day for the second week. This means that in the first two weeks of May there were 413 sales (22/day * 7 + 37/day * 7).

REBGV said there were 653 sales in May, so that means that if misher was right then the last two weeks of May there were 240 sales or roughly 17 a day (assuming May is made up of 4 weeks, which it isn't). (note that I flippantly said that "you could just as easily say sales have dropped to 17/day" and it turns out I wasn't far from the truth)

May averaged 21 sales per day, lower than both the 22/day and 37/day misher stated.

And rofina, I'd like to see your take on this given you said your observations matched with what misher was saying. It looks like your observations didn't really match with what the actual numbers are, unless there was a sudden and sustained 50% drop in sales for the last half of May.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Right, so the May market highlights are out. misher said that halfway through May sales of condos were increasing from 22/day for the first week to 37/day for the second week. This means that in the first two weeks of May there were 413 sales (22/day * 7 + 37/day * 7).

REBGV said there were 653 sales in May, so that means that if misher was right then the last two weeks of May there were 240 sales or roughly 17 a day (assuming May is made up of 4 weeks, which it isn't). (note that I flippantly said that "you could just as easily say sales have dropped to 17/day" and it turns out I wasn't far from the truth)

May averaged 21 sales per day, lower than both the 22/day and 37/day misher stated.

And rofina, I'd like to see your take on this given you said your observations matched with what misher was saying. It looks like your observations didn't really match with what the actual numbers are, unless there was a sudden and sustained 50% drop in sales for the last half of May.
It all depends on how you sping the stats:

Greater Vancouver home sales down 44% compared to last May

or

Home sales in Vancouver rose nearly 36 percent in May as housing market also perked up in Surrey

So is it better to be only down 44% from a dismal previous year or up 36% from the previous plague month?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy