HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Nah leave Rossmere alone. Jeez you guys and my golf courses haha

The new Southwood is just out in an open field and not that great IMO. Wonder why they moved is right.

It is still okay to have golf courses in the City. Just because there's land, doesn't mean it NEEDS to be developed. If the market conditions were right, maybe someone would offer to buy it. As mentioned with Tuxedo.

If the City doesn't want to be in the golf course business, than okay I guess. Cut down the number of courses and the ones left will do better. How many courses does the City actually own? Not that many and they're kind of spread out Edit: Looks like a grand total of 4.
The new Southwood is a great modern course. It’s highly appreciated by the majority of those who play it. It’s definitely a golfers course.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Rossmere is a private course though. Unless they are struggling financially (which I don't believe they are) I don't see them as a candidate for conversion.
I just checked their web site and they are a semi private course.

I did a little looking and the Free Press reported Rossemere also has a 50 year lease from the city (started in 1958 from city of East Kildonan) with a 50 year option that they exercised in 2008 on 58 acres and they own another 62 acres of land.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I have no desire to golf. You seem to KEEP missing the point. The courses we have are what remains of a vast forest that used to be along all the rivers. Which was mowed down for subdivisions. These places do not just hold golfers. They are greenspace period. Green space doesn't need to be a park. It can also be simply a forest. Most of these courses are full of 150-200 year old Oaks that you only find on river side Forests. Sorry I actually am a certified Arborist and know what these forests give to the environment and city.

Aside from that you still won't tell me your plan for the thousands of wasteland parking lots. You never seem to want to make the areas that need to become dense, actually dense. To be honest you see dollar signs. You sound like a developer.

And here we are in a city that loses 5000-10000 public elms per year. That doesn't include private land ones. We now have the Emerald ash borer which will make anything built after 1970 a wasteland as Ash was the go to tree. And Ash Borers don't just kill a tree here and there.they will kill entire neighborhoods in a season. And we are supposed to be planting trees to save this world and here's you JUST looking at the $$$$$$$.

So again.

Downtown Parking lots are where you want it to be dense. No one will get too excited to be stuck in an old golf course surrounded by old neighborhoods. When they can still go to brand new ones. Trust me I work in all the bedroom communities. And it isn't taxes that make them leave as once was. It's that they have a better surrounding area for their kids to grow up. They pay huge taxes as well. LaSalle where I work daily in . Which is booming right now. Most of the homes the same size of your city's new developments have the same tax bill. I myself live 150 feet from the Red by the Canoe club, I know first hand the city's selling off this course a little at a time to make some money. And all were FAILURES. And this course actually makes money. But the wildlife as you can freely hike along the River is amazing. Also note the golf courses do not own to waters edge. They own 20 to 30 meters back. The rest is public. Hence why I can almost hike the river from my house to St vital park. Fill that with homes and you lose the wildlife and that feature as it will be people's back yards.

But enough of that.

Downtown lots. What's your plan?
Canada Packers / Swift lands , what's your plan?
Rapid transit line with empty land all along it, and even phase one still is only about 5% devoped. This was supposed to be prime land for development. And nothing. Yet you think ripping up golf courses is a good idea,......

I however do like the one idea of KP and KPs little golf course having the front say 400-500 feet all residential 5-8 story buildings. Hopefully with cru's on the main floor. And then the rest of the course becoming part of the park. That idea would preserve the park and it will make it bigger as it's an over used park. And done correctly the money can and should be thrown into a trust for parks and we wouldn't have an issue maintaining them.

This city hall has had so many get rich quick schemes that have failed.

Either way.we want the downtown to be dense. Or along the RT lines.
My point was about the fence line. Do you care to address that? I don't disagree with a large portion of your comments. I'm all for spending public money on parks.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 2:59 AM

Great post above ! I agree 100% with it .

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
My point was about the fence line. Do you care to address that? I don't disagree with a large portion of your comments. I'm all for spending public money on parks.
That's something that can be easily fixed with a bike path that meanders into the forest at times.

The fence that's by my place on the canoe club course was put there so the golf balls didn't hit the cars. Had nothing to do with keeping people out. Cars still get hit though lol. Shows how good of a shot most people are.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:43 PM
What could go wrong?

Brizzy82 posted this among others in the Canada section. It is from the WFP. It really gives the downtown a bulky look that you don't find in may other angles.

source
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 1:59 PM

^ That's pretty cool... you usually don't see the Remand Centre and Norquay Building figure too prominently in skyline shots.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 4:07 PM

Great post by Highwayman.
We lose enough trees in the city between Dutch Elm and Emerald Ash Borer.

Let's hope that if the city lets go of some of the golf courses it owns that the canopy can be preserved as those facilities pivot to new recreational uses.

As for building residential density on current downtown parking lots, we may never attract the individual who desires a detached home in the suburbs, but there is plenty of evidence in the housing needs assessment that we absolutely need affordable units which can serve newcomers and Indigenous households who both tend to require larger more flexible units to accommodate multigenerational and flexible family structure. Those units need to be centrally located.

Last edited by davequanbury; Jun 14, 2021 at 4:07 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:12 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Is this meaning they want to close the lane that used to be between the hotel and vendor (which doesn't really need to exist anymore) but the city doesn't want to? Can anyone translate the implications haha?

Also if it was 6 months from March 19 presumably they think they can get going by September latest?
The City approved the lane closure to facilitate the underground parkade which will span under the lane. The lane will still exist, but it will be privately owned and maintained. Urban Planning Division agreed to this provided there is permanent public access for pedestrians in the new private lane (given ped circulation is key in the Village). It'll be a woonerf (sort of), also at the request of the Division.

It sounds like Land Titles just didn't like some of the Legal wording and this has now been fixed.

Whenever in doubt about a development that's been approved, can check out the City report on DMIS. This one is here:
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...cc/2019/m18259
The reports for the conditional use and variances are also there

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:24 PM

Does anybody know anything about the development that is starting on the 600 block of St. Annes Road (just south of Dollarama) on that large vacant lot?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenas10 View Post
Does anybody know anything about the development that is starting on the 600 block of St. Annes Road (just south of Dollarama) on that large vacant lot?
There is a car wash on the north lot and an apartment building on the south site.

The Apartment is a four-story 62 unit mixed use building. The commercial space on the main floor came at the request of the public services.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...ctionId=598059

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jun 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
There is a car wash on the north lot and an apartment building on the south site.

The Apartment is a four-story 62 unit mixed use building. The commercial space on the main floor came at the request of the public services.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...ctionId=598059
Thank you for the info.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 5:55 PM

Anyone know what's going on with Newport Centre? Did they give up on the podium and expansion?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:44 PM

^ Sure seems like they must have? I kind of forgot about that one...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 12:44 AM

Three vastly different renders made the rounds on here so it seems odd to keep redesigning along the way only to drop it... but weird they aren't doing it now if it's still a go.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:48 PM

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...574676282.html

Article on the now completed Academy Uptown Lanes conversion into apartments. 21/23 apartment units leased, and 2/4 commercial units leased already.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:25 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but a proposal in front of the city centre committee for the Legion site on Pembina across from the Shoppers:

82 units, 0.87 parking spots/unit, and the Pembina-facing part is the pedestrian entrance to the building and entrances to the ground level live/work units, no giant parking lot facing Pembina. Pretty good

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...574676282.html

Article on the now completed Academy Uptown Lanes conversion into apartments. 21/23 apartment units leased, and 2/4 commercial units leased already.
They look great. The building itself looks nice with the windows added along the side.

https://www.uptownloftswpg.ca/gallery

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:06 PM
What could go wrong?

1125 Pembina...just what the doctor ordered. It's no Miss Universe but I hate the west side of Pembina between Jubilee and McGillivray. I would love to see the whole west side demolished and rebuilt with similar structures. Hope it goes through.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
1125 Pembina...just what the doctor ordered. It's no Miss Universe but I hate the west side of Pembina between Jubilee and McGillivray. I would love to see the whole west side demolished and rebuilt with similar structures. Hope it goes through.
i mean, i don't know what the best and highest use of this parcel across the street is, but i can't believe this is it:

"we probably need like a good quarter-acre of parking, everyone loves a good meatball sub"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan