HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Hudson I thought the same thing, it is basically just a modern GE Tower.
I think there was an interview where someone went on record and said that was their goal. Well, mission accomplished. Kind of. It's not quite the copycat architecture of China, but you'd expect something more original for Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:10 PM

I guess that's why I like it. 30 Rock has always been one of my favorite skyscrapers in the world. Love the review brah reaction video there though Hudson

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That's....unfortunate.
I feel like there's good diva reference here but can't quite put my finger on it.

Anyway, i concur. Thanks for another banal design.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:51 PM
DENNAB

Aside from the 100+ foot height cut, I can't say I hate it. It's basically the same, just fatter and the top is a bit different.

I'm not thrilled but still excited for that area of the river to be filled nonetheless.

Any word on a start date?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Well, it's certainly gotten shorter and fatter with more setbacks at the top
It's visually stubby and certainly inferior to what could be.

Disappointing... Again

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 7:30 PM

The crown could look quite stunning lit up at night, especially if the top-most section is a video wall.

The height reduction is unfortunate but I actually prefer the additional setbacks in the new design. If only it were stretched to ~1100 feet, then it would have the right proportions.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 7:34 PM

Nothing special at all. That site calls for a landmark.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 9:24 PM
1st Ward

Oye... they really butchered that crown. It looks so much more cluttered and bulky now... it lost the graceful and soaring feel of the previous design. And the height reduction, while normally not necessarily a big deal IMO, definitely isn't a welcome change for such a prominent and visible location.

Pretty disappointed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 10:27 PM

Eh it's a less elegant design and a shame about the height but not entirely unexpected. Hopefully the lease discussions are on a positive trajectory.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 12:07 AM

From focal point to filler.

Looks almost table toppped on wolf point in that rendering since there isn't enough difference in height between the 3 buildings.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
It's visually stubby and certainly inferior to what could be.

Disappointing... Again

Disturbing and unable in the future to fix this stub.

"Make no little plans" does not apply here.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:25 AM
All-American City Boy

As much a I appreciate the deco touches, the height decreases here are taking the magic out of this site .
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Last edited by HomrQT; Nov 5, 2018 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:27 AM

I was curious what it would look like if one of the tiers in the top was a double the height so I messed around it little with it and got this--

Also, I changed the overall height of the tower (not just at the top) and it does look better but I think just changing the top as I did would be a major improvement

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:30 AM
1st Ward

^ Looks a lot more aesthetically balanced with the additional height.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:34 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Disturbing and unable in the future to fix this stub
Maybe JPMorgan will knock it down and build a bigger one like they're doing to an existing NY skyscraper in Midtown

But yea, crap...

Quote:
"Make no little plans" does not apply here.
Did someone (involved with the project) really say that? Man did they not follow through, although I guess "little" is subjective.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:35 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Looks a lot more aesthetically balanced with the additional height.
I agree, give it another 200 feet and this thing is fine.

It's better than an empty lot but still a wasted opportunity. I like the design, the height doesn't really wow me though.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

Did someone (involved with the project) really say that? Man did they not follow through, although I guess "little" is subjective.

That's a Danial Burnham quote.

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency. Remember that our sons and our grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us. Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty. "

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Daniel_Burnham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Burnham

The guy died too young at 65 of Diabetes. Now we have multiple choices of treating that including the gold standard that is all types of Insulin. Plus all of the oral antidiabetic medications he should have lived to a ripe old age into the late 70's to 80's in this day in age.

Daniel Burnham, in full Daniel Hudson Burnham, (born September 4, 1846, Henderson, New York, U.S.—died June 1, 1912, Heidelberg, Germany)

He was young enough to remember or even be part of the Great Civil War that the direct cause was because the confederate traitor south wanted to keep blacks as slaves and in chattel chains for eternity. Luckily Good old Abe had something to say about that, and saved the Union and the total USA in the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnham_and_Root

He is kind of a demi god in the Chicago architectural astute circles around here. The man has statues dedicated to him.

Like a president Washington when it comes to semi modern architecture.

Like Washington crossing the Pentomic river in the revolutionary war. But he is a skyscraper nerd of the highest level.

He would not even have to be involved here most top level people are not but I am sure they check on this site and others to see how others view them.

That said if he was alive today he would have had thousands of lurkis by now, just like other high profile archs currently do, I am sure of that.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Daniel-H-Burnham

Scroll down to publications....

Last edited by bnk; Nov 5, 2018 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:57 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
OMG it definitely looked exactly like 9/11. One hundred percent. Not being sarcastic here at all. /sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post

Keeping an eye on the White Castle where the NIMBYS reside (SNob Hill).

Last edited by chris08876; Nov 5, 2018 at 3:59 AM. Reason: Minas Tirith = White Castle... for the layman LOTR. May the armies of the developers cast a shadow over their futile attempts

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:04 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

On a serious note, this is kinda a bummer when you think about it. A lackluster design, in a highly visible, aesthetically prime location. This area demands something better. You can stick this somewhere else among the masses of skyscrapers, but location is key. Always a shame when lackluster designs will inhabit locations that demand the best. Not half ass creativity, but visionary works that break boundaries, and wind up on architectural books for decades to come as role-models. Designs that inspire.

This is not it! 111 W57th... 9 Dekalb... those inspire. Sears...John Hancock, those inspire.

This will get lost in the ether of lackluster developments. Just a few % points higher than a Kaufman design.

The base is okay... but it looks like the rendering software crashed near the crown and artifacts occurred.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 5, 2018 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* off topic posts deleted *

please stay on-topic, folks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive