HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I live in Milan and I bike into Ann Arbor frequently. I could get construction updates for you guys.
That would be very much appreciated. There's always so much new stuff going on.

As for the Ann Arbor crossings. Anyone remember if the Arlington Plaza thing that was originally to go on site bigger?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:32 AM
Detroiter4life

Barracuda Networks plans to add up to 500 jobs in major expansion, possibly in downtown Ann Arbor
Posted: Tue, Jun 14, 2011 : 2:37 p.m. AnnArbor.com
Quote:
Barracuda Networks, fueled by growth in the information technology security industry, is mapping out a major expansion in Ann Arbor with plans to hire up to 500 workers over the next several years — possibly downtown.

The Campbell, Calif.-based firm, which employs 100 workers at its operation on Depot Street, hopes to establish a 100,000-square-foot technology campus, AnnArbor.com confirmed today. Executives told AnnArbor.com the company would prefer to build a new facility or purchase an existing building, rather than signing a lease. The building would serve as a base for its long-term expansion.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...technology-jo/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 4:06 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

A 100,000 square feet is nothing to sneeze at. If it's new construction, and they construct it on a block, that would be a substantial office building. That they say "campus", though, implies that they are going to split up the space.

Is there anything that size vacant in downtown Ann Arbor? I can't think of anything. How about at the old Pfizer campus?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 4:11 AM

The one major downfall of Ann Arbor. No office towers. No available space. I suppose it's time to start building on one of the few remaining surface lots. It's a shame the Depot Street building was never built bigger. It's a really nice new building that helped to improve the image of that area.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
How about at the old Pfizer campus?
It's not available. It's owned by the University of Michigan and they have their own plans. As I was told, if the Pfizer thing went through, the University would need to move forward with their mass transit plan, presumably rail between central and north campuses to make the Pfizer building an accessible component.

Not to say the U couldn't lease to them, but it doesn't seem to fit the kind of business environment or marketable image they want. Pfizer campus is "suburban corporate"

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 11:52 PM
Detroiter4life

Developer has Fox Tent property on Ann Arbor's South Main Street under contract
Posted: Tue, Jun 21, 2011 : 2:58 p.m.
Quote:
block in the southern gateway to downtown Ann Arbor is under contract for a new development, the potential buyer of the former Fox Tent & Awning property confirmed.

Dan Ketelaar, one of the original developers of the 601 Forest student high-rise on South University, said he is “looking at various options right now” for the property at 618 S. Main.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...nder-contract/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 12:37 AM

That area needs improvement, hopefully there will be plans for a good project. If I'm not mistaken this is a flood area. They'll probably put the building up on stilts like 201 Depot...and good thing too. The water came and I remember the cars parked beneath floating away.

EDIT: Nvm, just read it's not in the floodway at the very end.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 5:57 PM

Just looking at the webcam photos it looks like the new Law Quad addition is pretty much done. The architecture is near identical to the original stuff except for the fact that it hasn't weathered for 85 years.

http://www.plantext.bf.umich.edu/pro...ebcameras.html

Can't say for sure on the interior progress. But some photos I came across a month or two ago show a high level completion. I take it the building will be open for Fall 2011.

I'd like to see how the Crisler Practice facility has come along. Not a whole lot of pics of this on the net.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 7:05 PM
Detroiter4life

University of Michigan adding 500 jobs for expanded Mott children's, women's hospital

Quote:
The University of Michigan Health System is gradually hiring 500 new workers to staff the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital and Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital when the massive new hospital complex opens in November, five years after construction started.

The long-planned hiring surge makes the $754 million facility's arrival the biggest driver of job growth for the Ann Arbor area in 2011.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-rev...mens-hospital/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 10:43 AM
Detroiter4life

An 18-story building was proposed for this site a few years ago, but it never panned out. I'm glad to see something take its place. I just wonder though if this project will be successful especially with the glut of student housing developments that hav been built in Ann Arbor over the past decade.

The Varsity apartment project kicks off in Ann Arbor
Quote:
If you seek a denser downtown, The Varsity, a 13-story, 173-unit apartment building intended to house about 418 residents – mainly students – may be next on Ann Arbor's horizon.

The 178,380-square foot project under development by Potomac Holdings of Bethesda, Md., has just undergone a design review by the city's new design review board. It's intended to replace the squat two-story Ann Arbor Professional Building at 425 E. Washington Street, a block away from the University of Michigan campus.
http://www.concentratemedia.com/devn...arbor0155.aspx

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:45 PM

While there's a tremendous amount of rental unit stock being added in the past few years, I think it's a very good thing. The bleeding edge of student rental sprawl is already out to Stadium Blvd to south, beyond Angell neighborhood to the East, and already pushing beyond West Park to the west. I'm sure residents aren't happy about that, and I really think students should remain close to campus.

The height of this building is inappropriate for the location. Washington Ave can handle much taller stuff since it's not around any single family homes. Really this project should be between 20-30 stories. We're now filling probably one of the least controversial NIMBY sites with a squat building.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:07 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
While there's a tremendous amount of rental unit stock being added in the past few years, I think it's a very good thing. The bleeding edge of student rental sprawl is already out to Stadium Blvd to south, beyond Angell neighborhood to the East, and already pushing beyond West Park to the west. I'm sure residents aren't happy about that, and I really think students should remain close to campus.

The height of this building is inappropriate for the location. Washington Ave can handle much taller stuff since it's not around any single family homes. Really this project should be between 20-30 stories. We're now filling probably one of the least controversial NIMBY sites with a squat building.
13 stories is squat for Ann Arbor? Although I agree the site can probably hold a much larger building, 13 stories/173 units is pretty ambitious in this market IMO.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
13 stories is squat for Ann Arbor? Although I agree the site can probably hold a much larger building, 13 stories/173 units is pretty ambitious in this market IMO.
"This market" doesn't hold much bearing over the fantasy world that is Ann Arbor. There's a severe housing shortage for UofM students, and even at the exorbitant prices they would charge I'm sure whatever development they put there, 13 or 30 or 50 stories, it would be fully occupied within a year.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:32 PM
Registered Ugly

I guess that's Ann Arbor for ya. There is huge demand for downtown living in Lansing, but most people here won't pay 1200+ a month for a 1BR apt in our newer developments.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 5:15 PM

Quote:
I guess that's Ann Arbor for ya. There is huge demand for downtown living in Lansing, but most people here won't pay 1200+ a month for a 1BR apt in our newer developments.
Lansing isn't full of rich east-coast kids who didn't get into their Ivy League plan A schools, either...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:08 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrose View Post
Lansing isn't full of rich east-coast kids who didn't get into their Ivy League plan A schools, either...
Very true, but we've got a ton of kids from the upper class suburbs of Detroit and a ton of kids from wealthy families in Asia...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 7:30 PM
Honored Member

A lot of renters don't need solid hardwood floors or italian tile countertops or whatever stupid gimmick developers are throwing into these $1,200+ per month apartments. I think these cities really need to entice developers to build more affordable units in the $400-$900 per month range. If that means cheap laminate flooring and countertops, a single bathroom per unit, and no in-unit washer/dryer then so be it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
A lot of renters don't need solid hardwood floors or italian tile countertops or whatever stupid gimmick developers are throwing into these $1,200+ per month apartments. I think these cities really need to entice developers to build more affordable units in the $400-$900 per month range. If that means cheap laminate flooring and countertops, a single bathroom per unit, and no in-unit washer/dryer then so be it.
While I'm a no frills person myself, seems like many AA renters aren't exactly the same...and they'll pay whatever, just for the location

And the range is still too low for AA. I paid $950/month for the one bedroom shown below in 2006. BTW, I painted the walls which were heavily damaged. Those are cabinets from the 60's, a stove from the 70's, a fridge form the 70's, and laminate from the 90's. I took my laundry offsite, and the bathroom ceiling leaked. Yeah there was wood floors, but they looked bad....and you can see that vintage linoleum floor there

Here's an updated full house rental. Limited parking, 5 bedrooms, and recently renovated (cheaply renovated) but good enough
$45,000 / year....which is way more reasonable, but the rooms were ridiculously tiny.

Finally, an example unit from my last year in Michigan. This rent was heavily negotiated. $850/month. It was very old and all the cabinets were original

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Very true, but we've got a ton of kids from the upper class suburbs of Detroit and a ton of kids from wealthy families in Asia...
In East Lansing, not downtown. If this development were at Grand River and MAC it would probably fill up at whatever price they would charge.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 6:00 PM

Renderings of Lloyd renovation are up.

I'll point out that this over half-century old building has common spaces that are still in pretty good condition (surprisingly). The new interiors seems to compliment the building for what it is. While renovations to other buildings focused on more traditional approaches to the design within the existing collegiate gothic style architecture, Lloyd Halls interiors will be more mid-century modern, within the context of design when this dorm was built.

Not my tastes personally, but I think the design merits something complimentary to the original building. I think from what I see in the renderings, the design achieves that.

All renderings below pulled form the Plant Extension Website found here:
http://www.plantext.bf.umich.edu/pro...83/design.html

I have a comment / critique on the renderings not related to the architecture or graphical quality, but maybe I'll keep that to myself.

Living Room

Gallery

2 Story Stair

The Den

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest