HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 12:33 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

A lot of new projects to follow and updates on projects we haven't heard from in a long time, but not many photographs this week. yadkin should be excited about an Interstate 285 update, with ROW acquisition and construction starts.

Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:

View from Third Street (the building is blurred, but still detailed enough!):

Credit: Kaleideum

Credit: Dale Briggs

Forsyth County Courthouse:
The new courthouse will be completed and open on October 23, 2023. Now it's time to start asking: What do we do with the old 1970s courthouse? I still think a UNCSA Visual Arts School or maybe a Kaleideum Aquarium & Animal Exhibit space are good ideas for this space.

Liberty Park:

Credit: Patrick T. Moran

WSSU - Quantum Information Science and Engineering:
Winston-Salem State University has received a $5 million grant from the National Science Foundation to establish a quantum information science and engineering program and a shared $1.3 million grant from NASA for data science and artificial intelligence research. WSSU Interim Chancellor Anthony Graham said, “This grant positions our university to foster student success and diversify the developing frontier of quantum information science with resource sustainability.” WSSU wants to be the university that pushes the boundaries of technology and innovation in quantum research and position itself as the leader in the QISE field among HBCUs. The money will be used to establish the WSSU Hybrid Quantum Laboratory Center and allow for collaborations with other institutions in the Carolinas. It also creates research-related fellowship opportunities. The NASA grant will establish the Institute for Advanced Cyberphysical Technologies and Multi-agent Perception, which will have a goal of enhancing life on Earth using AI and also to look for extraterrestrial life in space exploration with robotic agents. Sounds exciting!

East Tower:

Credit: Urban Pioneer Photography

Hotel Conversion to Apartments:
It appears as if the old Inn Keeper motel, on Peters Creek Parkway, could become 83 apartments. It would take roughly 9-12 months to complete the conversion. They haven't closed on the property, but are looking at financing and seriously considering this project. It is within easy walking distance of many amenities and next to a transit stop.

Truliant Tower:

Scaffolding on the roof of Truliant Tower? Ready to install the sunburst?

Credit: Susanne Stephens Fulk

The Residences at Indiana Avenue:
Wynnefield Properties is proposing this development with 180 units and it will also have storage spaces for residents, which is a nice and unique amenity.

The Lofts at Motor Road:
This is another Wynnefield Properties development, with 216 units. Atlanta-based architect Martin Riley Associates is designing this $42 million project.

New Tenants/Leases:
Miam's Breakfast House is said to be opening at 828 S. Stratford?

The empty corner space at 411 West Fourth Street is now in lease negotiations and we will soon see a new retail tenant to replace the former market and restaurant that was in that space.

Kin & Cottage is the newest business in downtown's Arts District. They are a home fragrance store opening across from Sweet Potatoes Restaurant.

Credit: Kin & Cottage

Genesis Event Center:
I thought this was already on our list, but I don't see it? Maybe it was posted at WSTB? Yes, someone is spending roughly $2 million to convert this 104,200 square-foot former battery company headquarters into an events center. It will be more like a convention center, after these improvements. Part of the space is already being used for events (maybe it was on our list, but I thought it was completed?), but this will make it larger. I'm guessing it's for the LatinX community? They also appear to have these in several states?

Credit: Express

Crystal Towers Renovation:
One of the elevators should be completed by mid-November and the other elevator will be completed in First Quarter 2024. Contractor issues are impacting this project.

Salem Crest:
Developer Urban Development Group has proposed to build 135 apartments in two buildings.

Credit: Urban Development Group

Washington Park Renovation:
Design work, for the shelter lost to fire, is now completed and the City is ready to start on the replacement.

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
It appears as if the office space will be constructed on the main concourse, as a new structure, next to the restrooms. The office space is still in design. Do I see additional outfield seating on both sides? From what I've heard, they do need to add more seating. Some games really stretch capacity.

Upper floor concourse:

Credit: Pendulum

Field-level renovations:

Credit: Pendulum

Interstate 285:
Yes, the proposed Interstate through downtown Winston-Salem! This is a project to upgrade the John Gold Expressway into an Interstate. NCDOT will add lanes to make this a 6-lane Interstate (3 in each direction). This is actually in the TIP, with right-of-way acquisition for the new lanes scheduled for 2025 and construction scheduled for 2026. Also included is the replacement of the Third Street, Fourth Street, and Fifth Street bridges. Yes, Creative Corridors is back and ready to add lighting, artwork, decorative features, brick, and more... in addition to bicycle lanes and an enhanced pedestrian experience. As part of this, The Piedmont Triad Regional Council is applying to the United States Department of Transportation's Reconnecting Communities and Neighborhoods Grant Program for a $586,960 planning grant to enhance these three bridges. A local match is required.

For those from outside North Carolina: North Carolina (state government) likes to use Interstates to attract economic development. This is why the entire state has so many miles/kilometres of Interstate highways.

This street mural won't last long, if they stay with the 2026 start date:

Credit: thecreativeheir

Alternative Transportation:

Union Station Restoration:
Work on the second floor (leased by WSSU) should start in October, with completion set for July 2024. Central Builders is the GC on this project. The architect (wasn't shared) has explored adding a restaurant on the top floor and the City is still evaluating it.

Creative Corridors:
An update on the Martin Luther King Jr. Drive improvements: Duke Energy is still acquiring property for lighting replacement. They have acquired roughly half of the properties required for the project.

Random Photographs:

The Winston-Salem Metro Area is very beautiful and has a lot of fun outdoorsy things to do:
Video Link

Your City

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 12:53 PM

Thanks, Matthew.
Unfortunately, I don't have photos, but a few things I've noticed.

The Kaleideum signage had been installed facing Fourth Street. The building is impressive; you cannot miss the rooftop playground.

The exterior of the Novant addition looks nearly completed. It gives the hospital a much more modern look. Additionally, construction has started on the hotel across Silas Creek Parkway.

I wish I had a picture of the Baptist construction. Perhaps someone here, that has a better camera than I have, has a recent one? I cannot tell if the framing so far is just for the parking deck? If so, the tower will be taller than I expected. The framing, so far, is perhaps four stories?

Last edited by WSBornNBred; Sep 17, 2023 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 2:11 PM

Thanks, Matthew. What is the location of Salem Crest?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
Thanks, Matthew. What is the location of Salem Crest?
It’s off Ebert Road just below I 40 on Salem Crest Lane. That street currently has other apartment complexes on it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalo View Post
It’s off Ebert Road just below I 40 on Salem Crest Lane. That street currently has other apartment complexes on it.
Thanks

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 12:45 AM

Thanks a heap, Matthew. Yes, yadkin is ecstatic about the update of U.S. 52 through downtown continuing I 285 to I 74 (though, it should be I 77E concurrent with I 74 ‘till I 74 splits at the big downtown intersection). Still, I 285 is great news!!!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 4:53 PM

By the way, this thread has finally exceeded 1,000 replies!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 4:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Salem Crest wouldn't look out-of-place in Industry Hill, on the north end of downtown. I want to add some of the projects in the city that are away from the core, after noticing other cities are posting these. Some people looking at this thread may also want to know what is happening on a site near them or a site they may pass on the way to work/school.

I do check, every week, for construction photographs of the new Atrium East Tower (on the west side of their campus ) and the Novant development (Critical Care Center), but usually don't find anything for Novant's building and you can see the distant aerial with crane for Atrium's East Tower. Someone told me I was underestimating the height of that building and it has 16 foot / 4.9 metre floor-to-ceiling heights! WOW! The ground floor has an unusually high ceiling. And it's being constructed to hold additional weight so they can add floors in a few years.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:01 PM

TBJ has an updated photo of the Atrium tower construction (although no updated info):

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12601821/wfb.jpg

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:55 PM

Here's another shot of the tower from the live cam of the construction site on the internal website:

https://imgur.com/a/O42drVY

The existing framing completed so far on the bottom portion is going to be the new Emergency Department. Then, the above floors will hold new ORs and ICUs and will be mostly glass on the exterior from the design renderings I've seen. Based on how tall the bottom portion already is, it does seem like it's going to be taller than most of us expected.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonmd View Post
Here's another shot of the tower from the live cam of the construction site on the internal website:

https://imgur.com/a/O42drVY

The existing framing completed so far on the bottom portion is going to be the new Emergency Department. Then, the above floors will hold new ORs and ICUs and will be mostly glass on the exterior from the design renderings I've seen. Based on how tall the bottom portion already is, it does seem like it's going to be taller than most of us expected.
Thanks for the photo and the info. I anticipated the bottom portion being 2 stories, going by this rendering: https://newsroom.wakehealth.edu/news...new-care-tower

It appears it will be 4, so the tower should absolutely be taller.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 1:02 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

In this update: Mayfair returns with their downtown grocery store, an update on the Hanes Park football stadium, and will The Byrum start before Brookhyrst? I guess we shall see.

Yes, it is construction time again!
Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:

The Sign:

Credit: David Poirier

Credit: Katie Trenerowski Real Estate

Ronnies Downtown Grocery Store:
Is the proposal for Ronnie's Grocery Store back again? It appears so! Mayfair Street Partners is preparing to strengthen the foundation, so they can add interior walls for the downtown grocery store upfit.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

The Courtyard:

Credit: Michael Sears

Construction Update (Tuesday 9/19):

Credit: Michael Sears

New Tenants/Leases:
Golf Galaxy is upfitting space at Thruway and Spaghetti Park will open at Clemmons Town Center.

Parthena Rodriguez is opening ParthenaAyurveda in West End Millworks. Ayurveda is an alternative medicine practiced in India and Nepal.

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:
According to those involved in the football stadium: Work on the storm water system and utilities is finishing up and contracts were approved for grading and constructing the bleachers.

A place to view the construction:

Credit: rjrstadium

Storm water system:

Credit: rjrstadium

New Jobs:
Tex-Tech held their ground breaking on Friday for their new headquarters (relocating to Winston-Salem from Portland, Maine) and their manufacturing facility. It will cost $41.7 million and have around 170,000-square-feet. Triad Design Group is the architect and Landmark Builders is the general contractor. Tex-Tech will make composite heat shields and nose cones used on space vehicles and rockets at this facility. The growing commercial space industry is leading to this company's growth. Their decision to locate in Winston-Salem was based on the need to hire the best experts in materials-science and to attract talent from top university engineering programs. The company found it was easy "to attract top talent from across the East Coast and major engineering schools" to Winston-Salem, which was a major factor in selecting Winston-Salem for their headquarters and this facility. Completion is set for First Quarter 2025.

Credit: TBJ

East Tower:

Credit: TBJ

The Byrum Apartments:
This 449,009 square-foot downtown apartment project has now restarted the permitting process with modifications.

Truliant Tower:

The sunburst is here and ready for installation:

Forsyth Tech Transportation Center Expansion:
Forsyth Tech is planning a nearly 30,000 square-foot addition to their Transportation Center. It's expected to be a $7-7.5 million project that also includes renovating the existing building.

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:

Our first look at the work:

Credit: TrueLook

Historic railroad infrastructure they are required to keep:

Credit: Susie Pollock

500 West 5th:
Architect STITCH Design Shop said, "Planning for the second phase of their headquarters expansion, Renfro looked for a way to create a physical retail environment for their ecommerce brand, Loops & Wales. Inspired by Bruce Mau Design’s branding package creating “A sock for every occasion,” STITCH reimagined a planned conference room, adding display opportunities where the brand could test merchandising schemes and film social media content. Incorporating key techniques in the knitting process, undulating white and wood forms within the space mirror simplified knitting diagrams, while custom cut chevron patterning and filtered views recall the effect of stretching a knit product to reveal the loops, wales, and pattern therein."

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Crystal Towers Renovation:
Architects will have a cost estimate next summer for major work.

Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: theartreaux

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Random Photographs:

This is an older photograph:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Your City

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 3:30 PM
WashingtonParker

Thank you for another great update, Matthew! Two comments and a request:

(1) the interior design for Loops and Wales is very elegant; STITCH Design Shop deserves kudos!

(2) The TexTech project is a Very Big Deal and seemingly came out of the blue.

(3) Please remind me exactly where the Byrum Apartments are to be built. I think I'm getting Byrum and Brookhyrst confused.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 4:12 PM

Yes, thanks again Matthew for a great update - where do you find the time, but thankfully you do.

Agreed, the TexTech move is a really big deal, a big win in my opinion.

Must admit, the grasses(?) planted at the Merschel Park sculpture just looks like weeds to me - sort of ruins what I think is a really nice sculpture.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 11:08 PM

Phenomenal update, Matthew. What are the modifications to the Byrum Apartments?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 8:19 AM

Thanks for all the updates. Great things that don’t always make the news.

Glad to see that someone is interested in apartments on Indiana Ave and Motor Roads. We need more housing across the community. Apartments can’t all go in the downtown area. More importantly, in these urban communities like these two roads, there haven’t been new apartment projects in decades. Could make a big difference and bring more people that will hopefully lead to new grocery stores in food deserts.

I noticed mention of a new testy at 411 Fourth Street. Is that the Chamber (GWSI) old building or Moonies? Both are available and I don’t see the real estate sign in the Moonies space anymore.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
The Winston-Salem City Council will address a request to determine whether Winston Lake Golf Course meets the criteria for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

Meanwhile, the developer of the former Winston-Salem Coca-Cola bottling plant is pursuing local historic landmark status for additional property tracts.

Council said in a legal notice it will hold a public hearing on 6 p.m. Oct. 2 at City Hall.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 7:05 PM
Fourth and Main

The Byrum is at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr., Drive and Patterson Avenue. I'm guessing any changes are value-engineering, but it looks roughly the same as the previous version... at least to me it does? I'm sure there is something I'm missing. I am starting to question if "maybe" Brookhyrst is the project on-hold and The Byrum is moving forward? I have no sources telling me that. I'm just noticing one is making progress and the other is silent. Also, the Brookhyrst site (at the ballpark) is surrounded by a sea of recently built apartments, with yet another apartment building under construction. The Byrum site is less developed with new apartments and is closer to the Innovation Quarter developments. It would be their closest apartment building to the Innovation Quarter. Also, the name connection to a family member of the developer may have an impact? Does anyone else think "maybe" Brookhyrst is on-hold and The Byrum is moving toward construction? I could be surprised by both starting at the same time.

The word circulating is that 411 West Fourth will be retail. No restaurant. This is the ground floor of the former Chamber of Commerce Building. You may know the space as "The Canteen." I did post on the former Mooney's space, but it was at the old WSTB. So, I'll have to find my notes on that project.

I agree on the decorative grass so many landscape architecture firms, including Stimmel, love to use. I do think they (decorative grasses) are over-used. I don't think it ruins it, but they do appear more like weeds or something to mow.

It can be hard to find the time, but I usually do. Right now, I'm doing several things at once. After reading the replies on my phone, I made time for this post on something with a full-sized keyboard and I'm typing fast. I will be out-the-door shortly after posting this. I wanted to reply last night, but was out-of-time. I wanted to reply this morning and was out-of-time. I think I will successfully reply on this attempt!

Last edited by Matthew; Sep 28, 2023 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Diablo Tools, a manufacturer of cutting tools, abrasives and power tool accessories for trade professionals, said Monday it will create more than 200 jobs as part of opening a 531,000-square-foot warehouse and distribution facility in Kernersville.

Diablo, based in Atlanta, said in a news release the facility is slated to open in early 2024.

The company could not be immediately reached for comment on the facility site that is in the Guilford County section of Kernersville at the Macy Grove Road and U.S. 421 interchange.

The Piedmont Commerce Center sits on 142 acres and has four buildings in development with a combined 1.5 million square feet of space.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 3:45 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations