HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
That is not how the feds works. They basically allocate funding for public transit to provinces based on a per-capita basis. The province picks the winning project and the feds put part of the money in.
Got it. In which case Ontario's mid-sized cities are still more likely to get a train before Victoria does; QC-Windsor alone is over 1/5th of Canada's entire population.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Got it. In which case Ontario's mid-sized cities are still more likely to get a train before Victoria does; QC-Windsor alone is over 1/5th of Canada's entire population.
That all depends on whether they have a plan yet for one and the political will of the local area. Brampton and Hamilton passed on it a decade ago. Now they have have a different city council that wants it. So, if the next time the Feds are asking around who wants money and Victoria is the only newcomer to the table, they would likely get it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:38 PM

Is the Vancouver forum being trolled on this thread alone?

This thread went from 201 pages to 205 pages in one day. Y'all need to chill.

It's been like this for the past 3 months.

I don't think that any sort of conclusion has been drawn; it's just a circle-jerk of arguing over semantics from what I can tell. Now I'm not telling you what you can or cannot say on a discussion forum... but this thread alone is arguably more active than the Canadian Proposal and Skyline threads on the Canadian forum that invites participation from people across ALL provinces.

All y'all need a virtual coffee date or something .

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

I don't think that any sort of conclusion has been drawn; it's just a circle-jerk of arguing over semantics from what I can tell. Now I'm not telling you what you can or cannot say on a discussion forum... but this thread alone is arguably more active than the Canadian Proposal and Skyline threads on the Canadian forum that invites participation from people across ALL provinces.

It's ultimately a bunch of transit fantasies being discussed that should be in a transit fantasy thread but for some reason it must be discussed here and not there.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
It's ultimately a bunch of transit fantasies being discussed that should be in a transit fantasy thread but for some reason it must be discussed here and not there.
That's because some folks seem to be under the delusion that their fantasies have an actual shot at becoming reality...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
That's because some folks seem to be under the delusion that their fantasies have an actual shot at becoming reality...
Any transit fantasies I have I try to make some kind of coherent plan of and send the images and ideas to TransLink. I've looked at other people's ideas on here and asked some questions - unlike this (which I commented on I don't know how many pages back)...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

That is because unless it is a Translink sponsored plan for expansion of the Skytrain, regardless on how it has been costed out and put out by other governments, it is argued to be a fantasy by 2 posters(whom I am pretty sure work for Translink).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
That is because unless it is a Translink sponsored plan for expansion of the Skytrain, regardless on how it has been costed out and put out by other governments, it is argued to be a fantasy by 2 posters(whom I am pretty sure work for Translink).
As one of those two, (I assume), I can assure you (again) I never have, and never will work for Translink. And plenty of other forum members have popped up to suggest your ideas, and those you introduce here, are more appropriate in the fantasy thread. Unless you can point to it, I don't believe any other governments have proposed any transit investment in Greater Vancouver, and I haven't suggested there are any problems with the transit investments proposed by BC Transit in other parts of the province.

The ideas for other schemes produced by 'transit enthusiasts' often with unrealistic costs and no immediate likelihood of funding are however another matter - unless they're in the fantasy thread.

HSR is slightly different, because it does have some government support - but only so far as an investigation. Until we know what its costs might be, and how realistic it is for those funds to be available, it's all just speculation.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
As one of those two, (I assume), I can assure you (again) I never have, and never will work for Translink. And plenty of other forum members have popped up to suggest your ideas, and those you introduce here, are more appropriate in the fantasy thread. Unless you can point to it, I don't believe any other governments have proposed any transit investment in Greater Vancouver, and I haven't suggested there are any problems with the transit investments proposed by BC Transit in other parts of the province.

The ideas for other schemes produced by 'transit enthusiasts' often with unrealistic costs and no immediate likelihood of funding are however another matter - unless they're in the fantasy thread.

HSR is slightly different, because it does have some government support - but only so far as an investigation. Until we know what its costs might be, and how realistic it is for those funds to be available, it's all just speculation.
The fact that the 5 pages was about HSR, and you were one of the ones trying to denounce it, only further supplants my theory on your employer.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
The fact that the 5 pages was about HSR, and you were one of the ones trying to denounce it, only further supplants my theory on your employer.
I didn't denounce it - I pointed out that any significant funds allocated to it would potentially be at the expense of other transportation projects which might have greater benefits in BC, and in Greater Vancouver. That's probably a bit too sophisticated piece of thinking for you.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I didn't denounce it - I pointed out that any significant funds allocated to it would potentially be at the expense of other transportation projects which might have greater benefits in BC, and in Greater Vancouver. That's probably a bit too sophisticated piece of thinking for you.
Hush Translink employee.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
...it is argued to be a fantasy by 2 posters(whom I am pretty sure work for Translink).
Quote:
...only further supplants my theory on your employer.
Quote:
Hush Translink employee.
Seriously, can you please just stop with this petty, juvenile bickering? I'm really not enjoying this, I suspect that others are fed up as well and it is ruining the discussion thread.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Seriously, can you please just stop with this petty, juvenile bickering? I'm really not enjoying this, I suspect that others are fed up as well and it is ruining the discussion thread.
Do moderators even exist on this forum?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
That would be nice. I shared an idea a group of planners and politicians are working on to see what the reaction would be. I am happy with constructive criticism and skepticism though I am a bit taken aback by the level of hostility and cynicism.

I'm taking the reaction as a friendly reminder that my efforts would be better spent actually trying to make change happen instead of engaging in meaningless arguments.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
That would be nice. I shared an idea a group of planners and politicians are working on to see what the reaction would be. I am happy with constructive criticism and skepticism though I am a bit taken aback by the level of hostility and cynicism.

I'm taking the reaction as a friendly reminder that my efforts would be better spent actually trying to make change happen instead of engaging in meaningless arguments.
Sorry, I hope my post was clear, but if not it was not aimed at your posts or any others that are contributing to the discussion. I've no personal beef with swimmer and have appreciated some of their on-topic posts here. It's just their endless bickering and now their pointless accusations that are wearing thin.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post

I apologize if any of my comments on your project appeared hostile or cynical - if they did it was because you came in soon after the increasingly frustrating and clearly pointless exchanges with earlier ideas that didn't seem to be based on any local knowledge, and included assumptions that were beyond unrealistic. Your replies showed that you understand the problems, and have a potential solution, to (for example) fitting a track through the Grandview Cut. I'm still skeptical about what that (and other aspects of the project) might cost, but we had a robust and I thought reasonable exchange about how much things actually cost to build here, versus what they ought to cost in a more ideal world! You understand the ideas of competing priorities, and the importance of a robust business case for any proposal, and I look forward to seeing the next iteration of the idea.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 1:37 AM

^ This. If Nexus comes to pass against all odds and within your cost estimate, more power to you... just don't hold your breath. Getting Broadway and Langley underway for less money and more riders has already been as tough as herding cats.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:14 AM

If Washington State decides to build HSR, I have a hard time seeing a scenario where BC says no, we are not going to build that final section into Vancouver.

HSR will not just be bringing in tourists. Vancouver already has benefited from its close proximity to Seattle, with the likes of Amazon and Microsoft setting up offices here. A one hour downtown to downtown train service would import even more of Seattle's corporate clout into Vancouver.

The routing through Vancouver is fairly easy. You don't have to go through the cut. Follow Trans Canada then along the railway right of way along the waterfront. There is lots of room (the port will cooperate).

The Surrey to Vancouver section can serve as a commuter service - a 12 minute ride from Surrey into downtown Vancouver. That's a valuable piece of infrastructure that would serve locally.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
If Washington State decides to build HSR, I have a hard time seeing a scenario where BC says no, we are not going to build that final section into Vancouver.

HSR will not just be bringing in tourists. Vancouver already has benefited from its close proximity to Seattle, with the likes of Amazon and Microsoft setting up offices here. A one hour downtown to downtown train service would import even more of Seattle's corporate clout into Vancouver.

The routing through Vancouver is fairly easy. You don't have to go through the cut. Follow Trans Canada then along the railway right of way along the waterfront. There is lots of room (the port will cooperate).

The Surrey to Vancouver section can serve as a commuter service - a 12 minute ride from Surrey into downtown Vancouver. That's a valuable piece of infrastructure that would serve locally.
I think it is clear BC is not in the drivers seat on this. That project will move forward based on the priorities of the US federal government and the two states. As you say, if they go forward, BC would be crazy to not jump onboard. With a bit of encouragement the feds through Via rail as well.

If it is built then we have a high speed rail line through the city. Should it be extended with a stop in Surrey? Yes. Beyond that? Who knows. That would be a separate follow on project.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If they can stop with the "if it ain't Translink it ain't happening" attitude then I will most definitely stop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure