HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:06 PM

Here they are. From smartallone:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:28 PM

That's very "meh."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:33 PM

Looks like only tower 1 is in the renderings except the drawing showing the placement of the second tower?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Looks like only tower 1 is in the renderings except the drawing showing the placement of the second tower?
That is correct. They were technically only presenting the first tower to the DRC at this time. They will return and do a second presentation with more detail on the second tower when they are ready to start the second phase.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
That is correct. They were technically only presenting the first tower to the DRC at this time. They will return and do a second presentation with more detail on the second tower when they are ready to start the second phase.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I wanted to make sure I was on the right page.

Some additional details below:

"The project could kick off in the first half of 2018, said Richardson. John Portman & Associates is the architect...

The two existing banks on the roughly 1.7-ace site, SunTrust Bank and Midtown Bank, would be built back into the project. The banks would have drive-through access behind the building.

The first phase would come to the corner at West Peachtree and 4th streets and could include 350,000 square feet of office. The design of the tower stacks several buildings of varying heights together.

The second phase would bring a taller tower to the site with the remaining office space and about 140 residential units.

Midtown planners at the Tuesday meeting shared some concerns about the parking deck that would sit at the base of the building, saying it should be better screened to blend into the overall design. They also questioned a proposed curb cut along West Peachtree that would provide an exit for cars."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:32 PM

These renderings are very disappointing. Parking issues aside, the aesthetics seem tired and already feel dated. This is just glass brutalism, nothing innovative or inviting.

On another note, I would like to hear more on the proposed park near the MARTA station - that seems like it would be a fantastic addition to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:38 PM

740 West Peachtree Renderings

Better than a parking lot, I guess and it will have decent height. But overall very disappointing design. The design for the High Performance Computing building under construction now is better than this.

This looks almost like a cartoon of a big building.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:39 PM

[QUOTE=alco89;7869381]Here they are. From smartallone:

Tower 1 was obviously designed by the same person who designed the PS4.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:41 PM

What a weird looking building. So much mass, wish they'd finesse it upwards.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:00 PM

It looks like a piece of Americasmart broke free and floated up West Peachtree.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:02 PM

ew. Hope this doesn't get built as presented.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I wanted to make sure I was on the right page.

Some additional details below:

"The project could kick off in the first half of 2018, said Richardson. John Portman & Associates is the architect...

The two existing banks on the roughly 1.7-ace site, SunTrust Bank and Midtown Bank, would be built back into the project. The banks would have drive-through access behind the building.

The first phase would come to the corner at West Peachtree and 4th streets and could include 350,000 square feet of office. The design of the tower stacks several buildings of varying heights together.

The second phase would bring a taller tower to the site with the remaining office space and about 140 residential units.

Midtown planners at the Tuesday meeting shared some concerns about the parking deck that would sit at the base of the building, saying it should be better screened to blend into the overall design. They also questioned a proposed curb cut along West Peachtree that would provide an exit for cars."
Thank you!!!

My pet peeve with most of the new development in Midtown having curb cuts all over the place. I mean why the *%="× does Atlantic House need deck exits on 3 sides of the site? This is not the way to create a walkable district.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:20 PM

I need to collect my thoughts on the Portman proposal. It's not great, although I think it would be palatable with a few tweaks. However, my initial thoughts are cluttered due to the second tower. I mean, what is that? Inspired by a giant filing cabinet or old refrigerator?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:24 PM

Perhaps I tend to be more positive, but I like the design, and think it will look much better as built. This is obviously a more economical build with the above ground parking and the lack of his trademark curved glass- however, I think this tower is build to provide a cheaper alternative to the CODA space for lower profile companies to occupy. I think the only sore spot on the building is the parking deck treatment- it reminds me of something from the 70's Star Wars movies- perhaps some metal screening in the voids and something a little less harsh in the middle would help. On a positive note, I don't see this getting any more value engineered- as it seems this has already been done with this design. This will be excellent infill and will make the North Avenue to Tech Square area more contiguous.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:40 PM

I just don't understand why it's so hard to build tall, slim towers in this city anymore? Why is there so much width and massing on every single god damn building built in Midtown? Why does EVERY OTHER CITY in this country get tall slim towers and we don't? This development cycle is so awful for tall towers compared to previous ones.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:45 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

I don't hate it. Lets hope they change a few things. Is there retail?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:46 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Oh, I see it now. So just retail on one side?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
I don't hate it. Lets hope they change a few things. Is there retail?
No there's not which means he's making the same mistakes in Midtown that he made in downtown 30 years ago. That block and CODA is going to create a deadzone. Why do office buildings struggle to create good retail environments? Why is it so hard for developers to get it RIGHT? How does Midtown sign off on this? It's terrible. This is the first development in Midotwn this cycle I absoluetely abhor. It's everything wrong with Downtown during the 70s and 80s now being built in Midtown and it's not a surprise it's from Portman who loves to build his WORSE projects here and his BEST projects elsewhere. He's going to ruin Midtown and I can't believe people are okay with this.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:54 PM

In Portman's defense, the renderings presented are not intended to be a final, polished representation of how the project will look. It is still a work in progress. These are early designs to give the committee a general feel for the massing, street presence, elevations, site plan, traffic flow, etc., so they can make informed recommendations on the variances the developer is requesting. The architect admitted that, especially with respect to the parking podium, the renderings were incomplete and many of the design decisions have not been finalized.

The general massing and elevations will probably not change from what is displayed, but don't get too upset over the details as that just isn't the purpose of these renderings. I am sure we will see high quality renderings once those decisions have been finalized.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
These renderings are very disappointing. Parking issues aside, the aesthetics seem tired and already feel dated. This is just glass brutalism, nothing innovative or inviting.
It's a Portman design. Not surprised. These are hulking, blah square blocks that ignore pedestrians. Hopefully folks speak out loudly against this. It should not be built as-is. It MUST address the street a hell of a lot better before anything is signed off on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations