HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:29 PM

The Mac's/Circle K at Pembina & Chancellor that closed abruptly a few weeks ago is under development. Will be a lab which should suit the medical clinic next door.

The former Applebee's in the same location still sits empty with a lease sign. That may be a tough one.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
About a year ago I got a call from an architect inquiring about building a 150' (10 to 12 storey) building in the Exchange. Wouldn't tell me where...I guess this is it.
And yet..........433 Main @ Bannatyne is 144 feet or more.. It is just down the street. It has been around since 1974.I get some restrictions need for the are but we already have a building this height on that street.Then we wonder why we scare off so many developers from Winnipeg. The Polo Park proposal & Portage place deals are falling apart.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Hydro lines under that parking lot would have been very expensive to dig up. Its the Exchange/St. Boniface connection under the river. It sucks but its also unavoidable I'm afraid...

The real problem is Sky's interaction with Waterfront on the part that does have the building. just some rocks, a few plants, and a condo at ground level.
Thanks. I was assuming hydro since the substation is right there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Sometimes I think that the way the posters are designed is deliberately impenetrable so that no one can possibly actually know what they mean, not even planners and lawyers. Kinda how the CCP distorts google maps in China so you can never actually know exactly where things are
I get why the official notices have to be written in precise legal/technical jargon, but there is absolutely nothing preventing the City from posting an "unofficial" explanation next to it in layman's terms.

What would be the harm in adding a third poster that explains what's going on, what the application was for, what the City is prepared to allow, and what the next steps are?

The City of Winnipeg flat out sucks at doing this. Other cities have been using much more accessible and informative notice formats for years.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:12 PM
surely you agree with me

I chatted with the planner. The poster is showing the administrative review. It doesn't go to a community committee downtown. The height was rejected. The poster is there for public to appeal if they want. They can't appeal height biut the developer can....and likely will.

Apparently commercial ground floor, two levels of office to create a podium and a set back 9 storeys of residential above...some kind of event centre on the top?

No decisions on cladding yet.

Its a heritage district. The height restriction is 100 feet. Buildings should stay somewhat near that, especially when they are mid-block and on a small street like that. If it is approved at a 50% height variance it will create a slippery slope for every other developer proposal in the area. Even 100 feet would be a huge building in the context.

Council will decide the height. She is sending me a rendering tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:50 PM

^ Slippery slope towards what, though? Why is this something to avoid? Consider what was planned for across the street, and could yet some day materialize... https://images.app.goo.gl/AHBWzdtbzgYibxEA9

If something like that gets built, then suddenly a modern 150 ft. building across the street is not really a big deal. Also, there are fairly substantial buildings a short distance in every direction.

But that said, if 100 ft. is the compromise it takes to get it done, then that's something I hope everyone can live with.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:22 PM
keep the good times going

The Union bank tower the Electric railway chambers and the Confederation building are all about 150'.

A few other buildings as well: SSP Diagrams

Last edited by peg; Mar 4, 2021 at 3:08 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
The Mac's/Circle K at Pembina & Chancellor that closed abruptly a few weeks ago is under development. Will be a lab which should suit the medical clinic next door.

The former Applebee's in the same location still sits empty with a lease sign. That may be a tough one.
I loved going to that macs as a kid in the 90s it was always busy. Hopefully when bombers can have fans again Applebee's spot will fill in

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:52 PM

I don't like the idea of a podium building in that neighbourhood. We need tight canyons. No need for sunlight. Save the podiums for the taller buildings.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 11:56 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I don't like the idea of a podium building in that neighbourhood. We need tight canyons. No need for sunlight. Save the podiums for the taller buildings.
I'm sure that will be a great selling feature for the residential units in the area and this proposed building. "none of that pesky "sunlight" in your house ever again!"

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:25 AM

Zoning allows the first 50' of the building to be tight to the property. Above that you need the 20' (15' with the variance) to your neighboring properties. I'm not sure if there is a front yard requirement. Yard maybe not being the best term here.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:31 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Slippery slope towards what, though? Why is this something to avoid? Consider what was planned for across the street, and could yet some day materialize... https://images.app.goo.gl/AHBWzdtbzgYibxEA9

If something like that gets built, then suddenly a modern 150 ft. building across the street is not really a big deal. Also, there are fairly substantial buildings a short distance in every direction.

But that said, if 100 ft. is the compromise it takes to get it done, then that's something I hope everyone can live with.
If it’s a sensitive building, the height will be easier to accept. I hope it’s not a marching band look at me, I’m so different than everything else building. Use brick at least.

I don’t think you can compare buildings on a corner lot on 8 lane Main Street to a mid-block building on two lane Bannatyne, set between two century old 4 storey warehouses.

I personally don’t think we should have mid block towers in a national historic site. Ten stories is plenty. It’s a character district. Having height controls is totally common.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
If it’s a sensitive building, the height will be easier to accept. I hope it’s not a marching band look at me, I’m so different than everything else building. Use brick at least.

I don’t think you can compare buildings on 8 lane Main Street to a mid-block building on two lane Bannatyne, set between two century old 4 storey warehouses.

I personally don’t think we should have mid block towers in a national historic site. Ten stories is plenty. It’s a character district. Having height controls is totally common.
agreed

see what comes up tomarrow sure media is salivating over this discusion

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:36 AM
surely you agree with me

I forgot about that proposal across the street, ha ha....but this proposal is 50% taller than that.

Hopefully it’s a good architect. Very interested to see. Will be the highest impact addition to the Exchange District ever.

Last edited by trueviking; Mar 4, 2021 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:40 AM

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/doce...d=1&docid=1770

Pages numbered 53 and 54 in the document.

Maximum front yard is 5'. Backyard is 20' from the centre of the lane to building face. So they could go tight to the back property since John Hirsch is there and is 40' right of way width.

So basically the can have the building front and back to the property, with the sides being 15' from the neighbours for the top 50'.

Seems pretty good to me.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:44 AM
surely you agree with me

This big guy on Pembina has a web site.

https://www.thehaloapartments.com/

Apparently piles are done. Didn’t realize it was under construction. Don’t get out that way much with the American border closed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:20 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:

Apparently piles are done. Didn’t realize it was under construction. Don’t get out that way much with the American border closed.
I couldn't have been the only person humming this as I read about Halo.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 8:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that going up where the shell used to be?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah big hole last time I drove by! Lots of work going on. Excited for the area. My buddy owns the Sheraton out that way and when his family bought the land so many years ago, there was nothing. The idea being its a stop for US travelers. But so much of their customer base is actually area locals using the lounge, bar, event facilities.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I loved going to that macs as a kid in the 90s it was always busy. Hopefully when bombers can have fans again Applebee's spot will fill in
Me too. Im still in the area (bought my parents house). I remember when that whole block was fields. You had the Safeway and the 7/11 near where the shoppers is now. Then those apartments on Chancellor were built and the strip mall where Mac's was. Mac's was an original tenant along with Malibu's restaurant and Atlantis Waterslides.

Played many video games at that mac's. Im surprised it closed (corporate decision?) and too bad it wont be another neighborhood convenient store, especially with so many more residential buildings cropping up in the area. As I mentioned in another thread, there is a large gap between places to get a slurpee in the area now.

The Applebees seems like a weird location for a restaurant and ofcourse Earls and Barley Bros across the street didnt work out either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan