HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:49 PM
What could go wrong?

I drove by the new Aviation Museum the other night and it is really looking good. It has quite a presence when you are coming into the airport. I am excited to check it out as our family enjoyed the old museum.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:58 PM

11 departures today, 6 of which are on small regionals. The only non-regional flights today are:

AC8625 Vancouver, BC
AC2222 Edmonton, AB
WS205 Calgary, AB
AC2225 Thunder Bay, ON
AC264 Toronto, ON

Only one flight to Toronto! And only one WestJet flight departing all day. Crazy times.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:04 PM

Flair is going to do Winnipeg to Kitchener/Waterloo

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local...lights-3369164

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:48 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
11 departures today, 6 of which are on small regionals. The only non-regional flights today are:

AC8625 Vancouver, BC
AC2222 Edmonton, AB
WS205 Calgary, AB
AC2225 Thunder Bay, ON
AC264 Toronto, ON

Only one flight to Toronto! And only one WestJet flight departing all day. Crazy times.
I think that even if air travel recovers properly, the airlines are gonna use this as an excuse to further cut our connectivity at YWG. People say point to point is the future, but not around here apparently
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:30 PM

This from today's Free Press online edition:

Airport noise impact less than expected: report
2:25 PM CST Tuesday, Mar. 2, 2021
New data could help clear the way for residential development closer to Winnipeg’s airport.

Provincial noise and development reports released Tuesday indicate the airport may be quieter than once thought, so the city may not need to prevent as much home construction around the transportation hub in the future.

The province says the area that should expect a high exposure to airport noise is now considered “substantially reduced” from a previous assessment in the 1990s, thanks in part to quieter planes.

In a release, the province says it expects the new studies should clear the way to update regulations to allow increased economic activity around the airport, while still protecting its 24/7 operations.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:38 PM

^^ Good news for the proposed Polo Park development I'd think...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 11:12 PM

Hardly shocking when you consider how loud planes were 25 years ago as compared to now. Will WAA accept it or will they come up with some other bogus reason to block development?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 11:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Hardly shocking when you consider how loud planes were 25 years ago as compared to now. Will WAA accept it or will they come up with some other bogus reason to block development?
Listening to the shriek of a DC-8, DC-9 or 727 is awesome if you enjoy it. Not so much if you're under the flight path.

Comparatively, a 787, A220 or 737 MAX is nothing.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I drove by the new Aviation Museum the other night and it is really looking good. It has quite a presence when you are coming into the airport. I am excited to check it out as our family enjoyed the old museum.
Me too! Will it have a means to observe the runways at the airport? I miss the old observation lounge. When the new terminal was being constructed, I emailed WAA and asked about observation and they said it was not needed since the entire wall is glass. But thats great if you're on air side. But if you just want to watch (or arrive early and want to watch your loved ones plane come in), not so much.

Fond memories of always watching my parents plane take off/arrive when they'd travel when I was a child.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Me too! Will it have a means to observe the runways at the airport? I miss the old observation lounge. When the new terminal was being constructed, I emailed WAA and asked about observation and they said it was not needed since the entire wall is glass. But thats great if you're on air side. But if you just want to watch (or arrive early and want to watch your loved ones plane come in), not so much.

Fond memories of always watching my parents plane take off/arrive when they'd travel when I was a child.
Yes There will be an observation deck in the museum.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

I remember waving to my dad from inside the plane. That was before there was an "air side" and people just walked in and waited with you, the same as a bus or train station.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:02 PM

^I miss that as well. They really missed the mark by letting that go. Brought my kid and her cousins there a bunch of times just to do that. They loved it. Big adventure for them.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:08 PM

People do miss the observation deck, but I guess it was an easy cost for WAA to cut.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:55 PM

On the plus side, it makes the new museum that much more attractive
Small stain

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 1:37 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
People do miss the observation deck, but I guess it was an easy cost for WAA to cut.
Yeah, too bad they couldn't find a way to hang onto the old building. It was really cool. I feel as though at some point down the line they could've used the extra gates and connected it to the new terminal too.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:25 AM

Also, the museum website has some pretty frequently updated construction pics on the front page.

https://royalaviationmuseum.com/
Small stain

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah, too bad they couldn't find a way to hang onto the old building. It was really cool. I feel as though at some point down the line they could've used the extra gates and connected it to the new terminal too.
It really was a very cool building. When I was young we visited it rather infrequently so it wasnt a common thing, but walking in there it just flooded me with memories every time.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 12:05 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I miss the observation lounge in the old terminal. Always have fond memories hearing ground control on the intercom and seeing takeoffs and landings out there.

Even at night time, those runway and taxiway lights brings that sort of calm at night.

Ah... good times.

The new aviation museum will definitely bring back those vibes, and having it built in way to see traffic would be pretty cool.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:07 PM

I can't imagine there would be much of an airfield view from the av museum, though... it's so low to the ground and far from the runways. It would be not much different than parking your car at Notre Dame and Brookside and just watching from there. The old terminal had it right on top of the building, right by the apron.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:17 PM

Hey guys I was researching stuff on future development in and around the airport and came across this!

https://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/...erPlan0615.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan