HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:19 AM

Walked by today. Jersey barriers are gone and the sidewalk is reopened on Spruce. Nothing was on site. Seems a bit odd. Is this the start of the gap we thought was coming?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 12:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPhilly View Post
Walked by today. Jersey barriers are gone and the sidewalk is reopened on Spruce. Nothing was on site. Seems a bit odd. Is this the start of the gap we thought was coming?
They keep sayiing construction begins this fall- obviously they were serious. I'm not sure why they moved to demolish the buildings well before the start of construction.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
They keep sayiing construction begins this fall- obviously they were serious. I'm not sure why they moved to demolish the buildings well before the start of construction.
I think it’s developers M.O. to demolish as soon as you have the permit to prevent any potential attempts to block the demo down the line. As a similar example, the 19th century buildings at the corner of 19th and Arch were demo’d at least a year before construction started on the apartment building. That one really po’d me as they didn’t even have a clear intent at the time at demo.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think it’s developers M.O. to demolish as soon as you have the permit to prevent any potential attempts to block the demo down the line. As a similar example, the 19th century buildings at the corner of 19th and Arch were demo’d at least a year before construction started on the apartment building. That one really po’d me as they didn’t even have a clear intent at the time at demo.
Maybe its all about liability. They arent ready to start the tower work, but they dont want to own a vacant building either.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:53 PM

Status on this?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Status is we have vacant lot that is going to sit there for months until they formally start construction. I don't think there has ever really be an explanation for the rush to demo the building.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Status is we have vacant lot that is going to sit there for months until they formally start construction. I don't think there has ever really be an explanation for the rush to demo the building.
Ok thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 4:34 AM
Mr. Technology

I like the location of this tower.
Now Philly can really develop it's downtown central core into a mini-NY.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 8:00 PM

I know we are in a waiting period - but I'm impatient !

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
I know we are in a waiting period - but I'm impatient !
Yeah...this is somewhat of a conspicuous lot...

I recall that Dranoff said groundbreaking/construction would start sometime this month? Is this thing permitted and ready to roll?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 12:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah...this is somewhat of a conspicuous lot...

I recall that Dranoff said groundbreaking/construction would start sometime this month? Is this thing permitted and ready to roll?
Last time I checked there were zoning and use permits. I havent looked in a while though. They said "fall 2015" so they could be any time between Sept and December. I just don't know why there is such a gap in activity.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:16 PM

Any updates on this? Seems like an idle site right now.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
Any updates on this? Seems like an idle site right now.
They said work would start in the Fall.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:33 PM

Not to be a Debbie Downer, BUT, the longer these projects delay getting started, the better chance a major change in the economic outlook occurs and they get canceled. We are currently in a state of economic euphoria with construction at boom levels - everywhere. Economic History always repeats - this can't last forever.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, BUT, the longer these projects delay getting started, the better chance a major change in the economic outlook occurs and they get canceled. We are currently in a state of economic euphoria with construction at boom levels - everywhere. Economic History always repeats - this can't last forever.
I mean...honestly, what's the point in posting this?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
I mean...honestly, what's the point in posting this?
If you don't understand the point, unfortunately I can't help you.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:59 AM

Quote:
I've been fearing this ever since this whole boom really began to take shape, but I'm still optimistic about this project. Maybe it's because I love this project and want it to see it built above many others, but there are still a few factors that give me hope. First of all, Dranoff is the developer of this project, which automatically gives it legitimacy due to his track record of getting stuff done. Also, all of the buildings have already been demolished, which given that Dranoff historically is not a slumlord, is promising. With that in mind, the only solid information we have right now is a fall 2015 groundbreaking. Since it's officially not the fall until tomorrow, it's tentatively not too far behind

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:09 AM

Quote:
If you don't understand the point, unfortunately I can't help you.
The project hasn't been delayed. No one has heard anything to indicate it isn't going to happen. Calm down.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:51 AM

Quote:
The project hasn't been delayed. No one has heard anything to indicate it isn't going to happen. Calm down.
I am in your boat. Out of all the things that could "not" happen, I don't think a hotel on Broad street is one of them. Occupancy rates are still at historic levels and all indications point to the convention center having continued success since the new labor rules were put into place.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Exactly. There has never been any delay. A Fall 2015 groundbreaking has always been the schedule as long as there's been one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive