HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:43 PM

This building gets top marks

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Ah yes, I do see them now. Thanks BCP.

I would love to see them atop the elevator penthouse too! Would be a unique touch, then again, I'm no architect.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 9:59 PM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 10:41 AM

^ scrumptious

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:59 PM

This may be a stretch, but it just struck me that the building echos the bank's name/logo. Coincidence or intentional?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 4:31 AM

No need to reserve judgement this time. I love it

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:23 PM

Any diagrams on the lower levels and how they interact with CUS, OPO and any potential pedway to Clinton blue line?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 6:20 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Any diagrams on the lower levels and how they interact with CUS, OPO and any potential pedway to Clinton blue line?
LOL. Striped pathway through the parking garage, picking up where the old garage pedway used to end. Imagine the Orange Line connector at Midway, but without the walls separating you from the parking area. It will end at a little lobby at the corner of Clinton/Van Buren where you can walk up a half-flight of steps to the street, a little bit like the Millennium Park garage entrance at Columbus/Monroe.

If/When the pedway to the Blue Line is built, they will revise this corner so that you go down a half-flight to the pedway instead of up a half-flight to the street.

This is from the PD filing, it appears to be accurate to what they are building:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I don't think I've seen a rendering of the park before.. I like it, would be better with a sculpture though, maybe in that concrete bulb on the left

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:12 AM

April 26

The west plaza

April 29

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:58 PM

Taken today 5/5 by me.
Looks massive from the interchange.

Bonus shot of the blue wall from Rush Hospital

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 10:16 PM

Very nice set. It's all in the details, and this building has great looking glass.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 11:53 PM
Ω

The park on the east side of the site is bad urban planning imo. It's raised from the street.

It will of course be nice when you're up there. But not a nice view for people walking down the street every day.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeunamme View Post
Taken today 5/5 by me.

Bonus shot of the blue wall from Rush Hospital
Chicago throwing up bulky 800 footers left and right and Sears remains dominant as ever...

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:52 AM

Do we have renders of the south face because i'm seeing some interesting curves going on?

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southoftheloop View Post
Chicago throwing up bulky 800 footers left and right and Sears remains dominant as ever...
I realize the challenges but Chicago could really use a new marquis 900'+ office building. That's probably the only major missing 'piece' of this cycle - other than that Chicago skyscraper machine has been firing on all cylinders.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The park on the east side of the site is bad urban planning imo. It's raised from the street.

It will of course be nice when you're up there. But not a nice view for people walking down the street every day.
I was thinking this as well. But maybe it's intentional to wall itself off from the bus station on Jackson. It should be fairly welcoming from the South side on Van Buren I think though.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:

As some background, the original programming for this site actually retained a considerable parking component to serve Amtrak, and what is today a public park was originally a rooftop amenity deck atop a multi-story garage along Clinton. Like with some other recent projects, it was the alderman who beat down the number of parking spaces and the incorporation of a public park. The trade off is that car rentals are no longer offered from Union Station.

But the need for parking, dock, and pedway entrances and a large level space for park programming combined with the slope across the site resulted in the raised platform. In addition as rivernorthlurker noted, it was desirable to provide a barrier between the bus station and the park both for noise and fumes.

That said, many efforts were made to make the park and podium as welcoming from the street as possible. Along Van Buren the park slopes down to grade, be visually open to the street, and include 3 paths to enter the park.The wall along Clinton is held as low as possible, including a section in the middle that will slope down close to the sidewalk with terraced greenery offering a glimpse into the park. There are landscaped entrances into the park at both corners and the wall will have the same folded design as the curtainwall to make for a more interesting pedestrian experience. I would compare it to walking outside Millennium Park along Monroe and Columbus at the SE corner.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:

I haven’t been to Chicago in a while, but I’m pretty sure the park is on the west side of the site.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
The trade off is that car rentals are no longer offered from Union Station.
Good riddance... this is the most transit-accessible site in North America outside of NYC or Mexico City. Put the rental cars out at the airports.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive