HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^I tend to agree with your 2 year prediction. Construction is a lagging indicator of the economy, so it will take some time to burn backlog off even when the overall economy cools. Some notable projects that are planned to break ground in the new year in addition to One Chicago Square:
- A condominium at the former Children's Hospital site in Lincoln Park
- An apartment building at the corner of Cermak and Wabash
- An apartment tower at 725 W Randolph
- A new ambulatory building for Rush Medical Center
- An office building at 330 N Green Street
- Two apartment towers at parcels JK and L in Lakeshore East
- An apartment tower at 210 N Stetson (former parcel of the never-built Mandarin Oriental)

This is not to mention the less noticeable or sexy, but significant work beginning at O'Hare that will progress for the next decade.

It is good to temper expectations, but I think 2 years is a good guess.
330 N. Green is currently the old Coyne College building right? Is Sterling Bay in talks with a potential anchor tenant for that one too?

Cermak and Wabash, is that this one;

https://www-dnainfo-com.cdn.ampproje...isplace-shrine
???

And what is this mystery 210 N. Stetson proposal? I'm intrigued now. Your info has very seldom been inaccurate

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
330 N. Green is currently the old Coyne College building right? Is Sterling Bay in talks with a potential anchor tenant for that one too?

Cermak and Wabash, is that this one;

https://www-dnainfo-com.cdn.ampproje...isplace-shrine
???

And what is this mystery 210 N. Stetson proposal? I'm intrigued now. Your info has very seldom been inaccurate
Yes, 330 N Green is the Coyne College Building. I’m not sure what their tenant status is but they are planning to break ground in 2019 and will be awarding the general contract in the next month or two.

The link you provided for Cermak and Wabash is the correct parcel, but the design has been changed. There is no longer a hotel component. SCB is still the architect.

210 Stetson has again changed hands, now CA Ventures controls the parcel and hired a GC just before the holidays with plans to break ground on a 40-50 story apartment tower this year. We all know the storied past of this parcel, but I think this time it will actually move forward. That one is probably the most questionable on the list but I think CA Ventures can pull it off.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

It's LSE Site O I believe. Last I heard there were some sniffings that it might get restarted as an all-residential tower. (Chicago Architecture article from September). If Bombardier knows something more concrete then that's quite exciting.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:48 PM

^This is actually 2 different parcels. 210 Stetson is bounded by Stetson, Lake, and South Water. Parcel O is bounded by Columbus and Lake.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
My body is ready

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 4:11 PM

Thank you, Bombardier

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 5:24 PM

I agree with most of you about how terrific this project is going to be. Now that SB is involved it has a very good chance of moving forward in early 2019. We need to be very cognizant however of the clouds beginning to form in the horizon regarding the overall economy. I hope the City of Chicago works with the developers in pushing the legalities through and cutting through all the red tape. My guess (and only a guess) is that we have about 6-12 months left before the economic shoe drops.
One other thing that would help is whoever becomes the next mayor I hope is pro business and development. Mayor Emanuel was a strong proponent of the downtown and the businesses that drive the metro economy.
So here is my wish list......Strong economy till at least 2020 and a Strong pro business mayor in the future! Let's bring in Kellogg Companies next from Battle Creek Mayor Rahm Emanuel before you leave...lol.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, 330 N Green is the Coyne College Building. I’m not sure what their tenant status is but they are planning to break ground in 2019 and will be awarding the general contract in the next month or two.

The link you provided for Cermak and Wabash is the correct parcel, but the design has been changed. There is no longer a hotel component. SCB is still the architect.

210 Stetson has again changed hands, now CA Ventures controls the parcel and hired a GC just before the holidays with plans to break ground on a 40-50 story apartment tower this year. We all know the storied past of this parcel, but I think this time it will actually move forward. That one is probably the most questionable on the list but I think CA Ventures can pull it off.
Hmm about 210 Stetson?... We just had someone post about this a month or so ago stating they saw new plans for a 900 ft plus tower on the old mandarin oriental site?..now your saying its a 40 to 50 story building?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 7:29 PM

Bombardier with the biggest knowledge drop of the last few months. Forumer of the day!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Hmm about 210 Stetson?... We just had someone post about this a month or so ago stating they saw new plans for a 900 ft plus tower on the old mandarin oriental site?..now your saying its a 40 to 50 story building?
I must have missed that post, I would have corrected it then if I had seen it. The current design, by SCB, is 45 stories, 583' to top of the screenwall. The 50% SD set is dated 11/16/18, so if someone posted 900' they definitely have bad information.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 2:21 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
The boom is far from over!!!! we have plenty of work coming up at my company still have a solid 2 years left on this thing. this correlates with all the new office towers on the way will only increase demand for residential!
Yea part of me feels we've been overly negative lately. I really hope this is true.

OCS will be an awesome addition and there are three sizable office towers rising too, so already the skyline will be pretty enhanced.

If the boom lasts for another year or two hopefully Related and Golub can get their act together and make this the craziest cycle in history.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 4:39 AM

Quote:
I must have missed that post, I would have corrected it then if I had seen it. The current design, by SCB, is 45 stories, 583' to top of the screenwall. The 50% SD set is dated 11/16/18, so if someone posted 900' they definitely have bad information.
Thanks for the update...kinda annoyed that information was inaccurate...by the way i put the post i saw months back ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Don’t know if this has been mentioned but plans for 210 n Stetson look to be a 930ft residential tower designed by scb. 750000sf. Can’t add renderings now but it looks nice.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea part of me feels we've been overly negative lately. I really hope this is true.

OCS will be an awesome addition and there are three sizable office towers rising too, so already the skyline will be pretty enhanced.

If the boom lasts for another year or two hopefully Related and Golub can get their act together and make this the craziest cycle in history.
Without question the boom will last and be the case! We have much growth on our hands and, let us not forget that we are Chicago!!!! and we build! (high-rises) regardless of the economy or not. proof in 08-12 years we still built many during that down time..... things can slow up after a recession thats about all that happens here. We never stop.we are still good with the current boom for 2 years minimum, no worries at all guys.

Last edited by Hourstrooper; Jan 1, 2019 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 5:47 AM

Quote:
^I tend to agree with your 2 year prediction. Construction is a lagging indicator of the economy, so it will take some time to burn backlog off even when the overall economy cools. Some notable projects that are planned to break ground in the new year in addition to One Chicago Square:
- A condominium at the former Children's Hospital site in Lincoln Park
- An apartment building at the corner of Cermak and Wabash
- An apartment tower at 725 W Randolph
- A new ambulatory building for Rush Medical Center
- An office building at 330 N Green Street
- Two apartment towers at parcels JK and L in Lakeshore East
- An apartment tower at 210 N Stetson (former parcel of the never-built Mandarin Oriental)

This is not to mention the less noticeable or sexy, but significant work beginning at O'Hare that will progress for the next decade.

It is good to temper expectations, but I think 2 years is a good guess.
Absolutely! cant forget these big projects as well,
-Bentham condo tower (2019)
-New Amli old town tower (2019)
-Reid Murdoch hotel tower (2019)
-353 W Grand Tower (2019)
- New 40 Story tower near the sono towers (no groundbreaking date announced yet)
-Salesforce Tower 2020 groundbreaking Guaranteed
-Harris Bank Tower 2019 groundbreaking Guaranteed
-Chicago spire supertall Redevelopment towers (awaiting alderman approval, but granted they get past Reilly this time that will be off to the races as well)
-Wicker park Tower 2 (awaiting alderman approval)
-1000M (ready to go and approved pending sales)
-Tons of west loop projects on the way as well

-and Many many more loop buildings on the way

Last edited by Hourstrooper; Jan 1, 2019 at 6:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 10:02 PM

Y'all are getting me way to hyped while recovering from my hangover lol

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I think I see a banana behind the hydrant there
There's definitely a banana in front of the bus shelter

"In a quality city, a person should be able to live their entire life without a car, and not feel deprived." - Paul Bedford

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:27 PM

I spoke with a head honcho at Power (they are the General Contractor here) over the holiday break. The lead project manager and crew are putting the finishing touches at the Essex on the Park hotel and residential tower. Once nearly complete, he and his team are moving over to the Once Chicago Square project at or around March 1st. Expect things to be full blast once that occurs since these guys are expensive payroll. The Essex project flew up and will be delivered ahead of schedule. This is Power’s best team and the lead project manager has 35+ years of experience. He is a ball buster and doesn’t put up with slackers. Expect this project to finish ahead of schedule and fly up as well!
It made my heart race and skip a beat when he told me they were putting their best team on this project!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ nice. thanks for the insider info!

so it sounds like a march-ish start.

hopefully a reason to throw back an extra pint of guinness on st. paddy's day!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Expect this project to finish ahead of schedule and fly up as well!
Well... the 4 story underground garage may throw a wrench into this. All bets are off once you start digging deep underground. But a top-down construction method would allow the tower to start rising before the basement levels are fully excavated.

Also, I'm not sure if there is power infrastructure under the alley that needs relocated... over here, ComEd (Meade) is months behind on relocating the alley power lines to make way for 167 N Green.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 7:37 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well... the 4 story underground garage may throw a wrench into this. All bets are off once you start digging deep underground. But a top-down construction method would allow the tower to start rising before the basement levels are fully excavated.

Also, I'm not sure if there is power infrastructure under the alley that needs relocated... over here, ComEd (Meade) is months behind on relocating the alley power lines to make way for 167 N Green.
You are such a Debbie Downer...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive