HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
what's the metal cladding? silver-grey painted (anodized?) aluminum panels?
Painted aluminum. The color is actually bronze.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:21 PM

11/17/20

11/18/20

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:22 AM

Great shots of the new streetwalls Bvic!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:24 PM

Nov 14

Fins !

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:28 AM

The tan building in the front 3rd picture is so ugly hopefully they can tear it down and build a better apartment high-rise

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
The tan building in the front 3rd picture is so ugly hopefully they can tear it down and build a better apartment high-rise
^Asbury Park. Its like the Pontiac Aztek of highrise buildings.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
^Asbury Park. Its like the Pontiac Aztek of highrise buildings.
Winner!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:36 AM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:19 PM
The City

I'd even be willing to see Asbury Park's tower remain, but that God-awful garage facing Chicago Ave is just way outdated. It was obviously built in a completely different era, but if I were the owner of that complex I would look at doing something with that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:05 PM
TL;DR

Asbury Plaza is all rentals, so it could happen if they get a new owner who wants to add value.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 14

Its just so bad. I'd imagine the forces of time and economics will eventually lead to a gut rehab and re-clad of the tower, and demolition of the garage.
I know Harry posted some closeup pics of the cladding, and its already looking sad and precursor to unsafe.
The turd can be redeemed, and the freed up garage land will will be oh so valuable.
One Chicago looks great, and will be a force to redevelop the things around it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 4:31 PM

any chance ashbury plaza could go full demo when/if the economics make sense? Rarely see buildings of this size demoed but not impossible.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Its just so bad. I'd imagine the forces of time and economics will eventually lead to a gut rehab and re-clad of the tower, and demolition of the garage.
I know Harry posted some closeup pics of the cladding, and its already looking sad and precursor to unsafe.
The turd can be redeemed, and the freed up garage land will will be oh so valuable.
One Chicago looks great, and will be a force to redevelop the things around it.
I am fairly certain that Asbury Plaza is not clad in anything and that is exposed structural concrete. I think building is all structural shear walls with very few or no structural columns. As such it would be very difficult to add anymore than add a few additional windows and overclad the building as a giant aluminum box or fake glass box. Neither of those seem likely because I doubt the expense would justify any minor increase in desirability or rents. I think a full demolition will be unlikely unless it's replacement is on the scale of One Chicago Square.

My guess is as long as there are renters out there who don't mind the building's appearance and don't care that their unit has only 1, 2, or 3 windows, or property values in Chicago become great enough to purchase a large perfectly viable, and bunker like concrete building and then tear it down, that Asbury isn't going away for some time.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
any chance ashbury plaza could go full demo when/if the economics make sense? Rarely see buildings of this size demoed but not impossible.
A percentage of Asbury Plaza is Sec 8 also. Those units would have to be replaced. I have been inside, they are small but efficient. The Google reviews are solid 4.3/5 from tenants. Tenants rave about staff/mngmnt. Complain about noise, esp "construction across the street", hehe. Many comments on the newish and updated units and current balcony repair program. I just dont see this going away.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I am fairly certain that Asbury Plaza is not clad in anything and that is exposed structural concrete. I think building is all structural shear walls with very few or no structural columns. As such it would be very difficult to add anymore than add a few additional windows and overclad the building as a giant aluminum box or fake glass box. Neither of those seem likely because I doubt the expense would justify any minor increase in desirability or rents. I think a full demolition will be unlikely unless it's replacement is on the scale of One Chicago Square.

My guess is as long as there are renters out there who don't mind the building's appearance and don't care that their unit has only 1, 2, or 3 windows, or property values in Chicago become great enough to purchase a large perfectly viable, and bunker like concrete building and then tear it down, that Asbury isn't going away for some time.
not to get too far off on the ugly 2 of the 5 neignbors ......

Asbury Plaza - not sure what this is.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:10 AM

11/17/20

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post

aside from the parking garage, it has a certain soviet style elegance to it. and there will always be demand for well maintained and inexpensive housing so I bet it survives as is.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:29 AM

In Chicago, residential high-rises are mostly reinforced concrete but office towers are mostly steel-framed.

Why is this so?

It’s not always the case. For example, 311 S. Wacker is a concrete office building. But it seems to be a general rule.

Some have suggested that concrete deadens noise better. But I’ve lived in concrete high-rises that are still plenty loud. I’ve also heard that steel offers larger floor plates for office uses.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswood View Post
In Chicago, residential high-rises are mostly reinforced concrete but office towers are mostly steel-framed.

Why is this so?

It’s not always the case. For example, 311 S. Wacker is a concrete office building. But it seems to be a general rule.

Some have suggested that concrete deadens noise better. But I’ve lived in concrete high-rises that are still plenty loud. I’ve also heard that steel offers larger floor plates for office uses.

Thoughts?

Reinforced concrete is less pliable and is better for lateral forces (wind) in residential towers. Less sway...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswood View Post

Why is this so?

Thoughts?
Several reasons...
- Steel makes sense for offices because steel allows for a larger bay spacing that is more conducive to office layouts.
- Steel allows for easier reconfiguration for changing tenants over time.
- Steel more easily allows for the taller floor to floor height of office structures compared to concrete as the formwork takes more time to install when the floor to floor height is taller.
- Concrete allows for plumbing and electrical to be cast into the slabs which prevents the need for a full dropped ceiling and allows for a shorter floor to floor height than an office use, thereby saving cost.
- Post tensioned concrete is generally used in Chicago and allows for significant cost savings over traditionally reinforced concrete. This makes residential concrete structures more economical, but does not allow for offices to be concrete because post tensioned concrete cannot be easily cored through during future tenant buildouts. (311 S Wacker and 10 S - 30S Wacker are all traditionally reinforced concrete structures).

I'm sure others can expand on this list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive