HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 6:40 PM
heavy user of walkability

some of the brick skin of the eastern portion of block 2 is starting to show through:

and here is Fourth as of the Fourth:

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 4:46 AM

socketsite mentions that the hotel slated for triangular block 1 along the creek is being reduced from 500 to 250 rooms, with 350 residential units added to the mix.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:06 PM

^^^Ya, Strada said a year ago when they bought the property that this was their plan. More discussion on it here and here in this thread.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 9:11 PM

Family House is apparently now officially on track to build an 80-room temporary stay facility on Block 7 East to support families of children at UCSF Children's Hospital. They've been angling to buy the property for years, but looks like the deal is ready to be finalized.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fam...bay-2013-07-09

Rendering from here:

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 10:29 PM

aha, will be nice to have another piece of the Third St streetwall filled in!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 11:05 PM
THAT Guy

Kaiser is abandoning plans for Potrero Hill in favor of 1600 Owens in Mission Bay:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...l-clinicv.html

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:28 AM

well well well! that does seem to be a better fit than the old location, given the resistance the project was getting from Potrero Hill dwellers. kinda hope they don't build that Alexandria design, tho - always thought that was one of their uglier ones.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 9:57 PM

they've been working on sidewalk corner ramps around the parcels under construction, which I assume means we'll have sidewalks before too long. here looking northwest toward block 11:

(an aside: I was able to confirm that both streets on either side of the future dog run (block P5) will be called El Dorado (N and S), since they are stamping the concrete of the ramps with the corresponding street names.)

here's the northeast end of Long Bridge, looking toward Fourth, showing the massing rising around that corner:

construction has reached the second floor along the pedestrian mews between the two halves of block 13. looking north:

on block 13W, excavation has started around the driven piles (driving continues on the eastern portion of the parcel):

outside MB proper, the Saitowitz building on 20th is starting to look like itself above the ground floor. its window bays angle toward the southeast:

closer to home, 2121 Third was getting a concrete pour yesterday. here is the Illinois side:

and Third St side:

Last edited by timbad; Jul 15, 2013 at 6:32 AM. Reason: corrected 'block 5' to 'block P5' in the aside

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:40 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
well well well! that does seem to be a better fit than the old location, given the resistance the project was getting from Potrero Hill dwellers. kinda hope they don't build that Alexandria design, tho - always thought that was one of their uglier ones.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 3:09 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Great shots, timbad. When these remaining, mostly northern parts of MB are done, you should put together a series of the area through time showing how it's changed. You've catalogued everything from demo to infrastructure to building to landscaping. It's been much appreciated!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Great shots, timbad. When these remaining, mostly northern parts of MB are done, you should put together a series of the area through time showing how it's changed. You've catalogued everything from demo to infrastructure to building to landscaping. It's been much appreciated!
thanks, pg - that is something that would be fun to do. I've been a poor organizer of my photos thus far, so that would be good motivation to get them in better order.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 7:30 AM

a sort of random observation... the last couple times I've wandered through the materializing residential streets, it has struck me how much P6, the children's playground, will feel like a mini village green of sorts, situated as it is very centrally among much of the housing - a little island. given that, I got to thinking it might have been a good idea to incorporate maybe a cafe with outdoor seating area on the west side of block 5, to serve as a neighborhood meeting/hang-out area as part of the island.

there's going to be a nice amount of green space in the neighborhood, but no place where you can go and get something to eat/drink and sit and chat outside with people, and that's too bad. looks like the Mission Rock section will have this type of thing, but I think an opportunity was missed on this side of Third.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:

there's going to be a nice amount of green space in the neighborhood, but no place where you can go and get something to eat/drink and sit and chat outside with people, and that's too bad. looks like the Mission Rock section will have this type of thing, but I think an opportunity was missed on this side of Third.
I thought the plan was for there to be plenty of retail on 4th street? And isn't there some retail included in some of the other buildings that are planned to go up on that side of third? There's gotta be some cafes, restaurants, etc there eventually.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
I thought the plan was for there to be plenty of retail on 4th street? And isn't there some retail included in some of the other buildings that are planned to go up on that side of third? There's gotta be some cafes, restaurants, etc there eventually.
yes, yes, absolutely, there is to be lots of retail on Fourth which will likely include cafes and restaurants and stuff, but what I meant was an outdoor space, a mini-plaza maybe (with seating spilling out onto it, and food), that could serve as a neighborhood focus area, where the neighborhood comes to see and hang out with itself. P6 would have been a good place for that.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
yes, yes, absolutely, there is to be lots of retail on Fourth which will likely include cafes and restaurants and stuff, but what I meant was an outdoor space, a mini-plaza maybe (with seating spilling out onto it, and food), that could serve as a neighborhood focus area, where the neighborhood comes to see and hang out with itself. P6 would have been a good place for that.
Oh, ok. Yeah I agree that would be nice to have a plaza like that.

And what's up with that ugly rendering of 1600 owens? I'm assuming that's an old proposal, and the new Kaiser building will look different? I hope so at least.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 7:38 AM

things slowly progressing... we now have a sidewalk and some new light poles on the south side of Long Bridge St (on the right in the pic):

and here a shot that takes in (l to r) Long Bridge St, the corner of P6 (with block 5 behind it), and China Basin St

over on the Third St side of the medical center, in the middle of what otherwise is a long stretch of blank wall, pedestrians will get more than a glimpse into some of the massive mechanical equipment that I think powers the building - looks more impressive in person than in the photo:

and it still blows me away that this street (Fourth) that didn't exist 5 years ago looks like this:

edit: speaking of Fourth, I tried to leave a comment at the block 7 webpage, as someone did a year ago, to see if that project start was still imminent, but I didn't get a response (nor did they post the comment)

Last edited by timbad; Jul 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 5:47 PM

Third and 20th St

while not MB proper, came across this on my walk yesterday:

which is this building (and parking lot behind it, formerly used for zip cars):

I don't remember hearing about this project before, but I did find this from 2009, saying that an EIR was required, at least partly because the 1917 building is a potentially historic resource. looks like the unit:parking balance has shifted since then from 62:60 to 71:42.

the lot is across 3rd Street from the block with Potrero Launch and new Saitowitz building.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:25 AM

Here's the project page for 2290 Third from architects Build Inc.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:52 AM

thanks! and whoa, quite different from the 2009 concept. like it, tho. couple other major Dogpatch projects at that page too. the change in the area is already palpable, and no sign of let-up. all looking good.

Last edited by timbad; Jul 29, 2013 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 3:32 AM

Kaiser is paying $55.2 million for 1600 Owens site...over $200/sf. Deal should close in December.

Seems that STUDIOS is still the architect on this one, so I expect we'll be getting something very similar to the "interesting" original design, perhaps with some tweaks to customize for Kaiser.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development