HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 8:03 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Agree completely. The fact that losing this building is even an option disgusts me. It's not even like the building is in bad shape! It's pristine! Preservation in this city is pathetic.

The building in question:

An overbuild can't happen on that whole corner with the buildings???

That really is a pristine building probably one of the handful that are in this great of shape.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:40 PM
Chris

Yea that is a shame. So much developable land near there, why does it have to be that site? This building should be designated.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Yea that is a shame. So much developable land near there, why does it have to be that site? This building should be designated.
How is that building NOT designated?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Agree completely. The fact that losing this building is even an option disgusts me. It's not even like the building is in bad shape! It's pristine! Preservation in this city is pathetic.

The building in question:

Losing a building like this is really disgusting.

We need to adjust the property tax system to increase the tax load on underutilized land. As readers on this forum are well aware, we make it too easy for the slum lords to sit on property or slap down a surface lot and just wait it out for ever-increasing offers. Every day those lots remain underutilized is a day that puts more development pressure on beauties like this one.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
Losing a building like this is really disgusting.

We need to adjust the property tax system to increase the tax load on underutilized land. As readers on this forum are well aware, we make it too easy for the slum lords to sit on property or slap down a surface lot and just wait it out for ever-increasing offers. Every day those lots remain underutilized is a day that puts more development pressure on beauties like this one.
I agree. My only question is: is this building actually historic or was it rebuilt to make it look older?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I agree. My only question is: is this building actually historic or was it rebuilt to make it look older?
Constructed around 1850.

I remember reading the history from a preservationist poster on FB who was up in arms about the potential demolition.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:18 PM

This building is legitimately old; its been there about as long as the Cathedral has been there I think

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Constructed around 1850.

I remember reading the history from a preservationist poster on FB who was up in arms about the potential demolition.
Interesting. That's good to know. The "Keystones" imprinted in the cornices on the north side were giving me a real 2005 vibe.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Look at that brick work, esp. the thin mortar joints. That ability died around 1900. Unfortunately the City Gov't doesn't care too much about what us bosses think they should be doing. Ask 100 people if this building should be torn down and my guess is 5 or less would say yes. But if some developer comes along and promises the City increased taxes in 5 or 10 years, the City might send some workers over there to help jump start the demo.

How many mayors have told us history and the special part of old Philly plays in its daily life? Who was the last Mayor who spent any effort to further the process of preserving our living history?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:12 PM

I too don't think these buildings should be demolished.

Maybe call me crazy, but what do you guys think about this? Demolish just the rears of these buildings and the rear portion of the little dilapidated church behind these that really isn't THAT visually appealing (except the front - require the front be preserved)... and combine these parcels with the empty lot next to the church, and that little building at the corner of 17th & the Parkway that can definitely be demolished that used to house a subway but is now vacant.

All of these parcels combined would be enough to build a pretty significant new tower.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 8:37 PM

I am ITCHING to find out about this 500+ footer that summers talked bout a little while ago. I can't wait to see where it is and what it looks like

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 8:41 PM

Toll Brothers planning another project already in Philadelphia. Should get moving after their North Broad project starts winding down. Jeweler's Row tower will start this year.

**This is unrelated to the 500 footer I mentioned***

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 9:19 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I too don't think these buildings should be demolished.

Maybe call me crazy, but what do you guys think about this? Demolish just the rears of these buildings and the rear portion of the little dilapidated church behind these that really isn't THAT visually appealing (except the front - require the front be preserved)... and combine these parcels with the empty lot next to the church, and that little building at the corner of 17th & the Parkway that can definitely be demolished that used to house a subway but is now vacant.

All of these parcels combined would be enough to build a pretty significant new tower.
That may be a fair compromise. That dinky building that housed the Subway on the corner is nothing special. I also think the adjacent United Way building is ugly, but that isn't going anywhere.

Either way, a new project while maintaining at least the facades of these handsome buildings is certainly possible. I am tired of the "hardship" arguments, and city looking sideways.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
That may be a fair compromise. That dinky building that housed the Subway on the corner is nothing special. I also think the adjacent United Way building is ugly, but that isn't going anywhere.

Either way, a new project while maintaining at least the facades of these handsome buildings is certainly possible. I am tired of the "hardship" arguments, and city looking sideways.
It's certainly better than losing these buildings, but I would rather just not lose any of them in any manner (except of course the subway building.) There is still something lost when you end up with just a facadectomy. It's perhaps not immediately noticeable, and still better than nothing being preserved, but except on rare occasions, there is generally a feeling of inauthenticity that is created. As others have pointed out, there is just so much room around here to build, it just seems senseless. And while I get that this doesn't matter to the person who has an investment in this particular property and wants to build here, that's the purpose of having strong preservation protections. Stuff like this should absolutely be taken on with a longer view than just the immediate profit for one property owner.

The tiny parking lot north of the church can be developed into a small triplex. Then you can knock down the subway building and just looking on google maps it looks like the two properties right behind it before you get to the church are vacant. All three properties have like a 5,000 square ft footprint. I'd rather just build that however tall you can, without folding in additional properties and wrecking historic buildings. Could put a really cool looking mid rise there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 1:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
It's certainly better than losing these buildings, but I would rather just not lose any of them in any manner (except of course the subway building.) There is still something lost when you end up with just a facadectomy. It's perhaps not immediately noticeable, and still better than nothing being preserved, but except on rare occasions, there is generally a feeling of inauthenticity that is created. As others have pointed out, there is just so much room around here to build, it just seems senseless. And while I get that this doesn't matter to the person who has an investment in this particular property and wants to build here, that's the purpose of having strong preservation protections. Stuff like this should absolutely be taken on with a longer view than just the immediate profit for one property owner.

The tiny parking lot north of the church can be developed into a small triplex. Then you can knock down the subway building and just looking on google maps it looks like the two properties right behind it before you get to the church are vacant. All three properties have like a 5,000 square ft footprint. I'd rather just build that however tall you can, without folding in additional properties and wrecking historic buildings. Could put a really cool looking mid rise there.
I agree, I would rather these buildings just be left alone. 520 Walnut (PA Fire Insurance Building?) is an example of the the inauthenticity of a facadectomy.

And yea, I just did a Pictometry measurement of the sites you mentioned and its over 5k sf, more than enough space to handle a substantial project. Adding the buildings at 17th & Race would create another fat boring midrise, similar to Cathedral Place I across the street. I don't mind that building though since it largely replaced a parking lot.

I wish developers would focus on the sea of parking lots a few blocks East on 15th Street, rather than disturb a perfectly fine block.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 10:02 PM

The building looks nice but is it particularly historic? "old" isn't really grounds for preservation by itself, and I'd imagine everything except maybe the facade has been completely renovated away.

It looks ugly to me but if it gets built as high end condos like the insta post suggests they could keep the facade, it adds some cost but maybe small % wise for that kind of building.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 10:13 PM

A collection of shots from Thursday, 2/10. Got both Skyscraperpage and train stuff out of the way. Center City was decently crowded for a Thursday.

(They were filming Season 4 of some show I hadn't heard of around 22nd and Locust)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 10:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Good work/eye on the photography, McGrath! You should do it more often,

Old Posted Feb 13, 2022, 1:14 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Good work/eye on the photography, McGrath! You should do it more often,
Word definitely got the eye of the Philly !

Old Posted Feb 13, 2022, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
A collection of shots from Thursday, 2/10. Got both Skyscraperpage and train stuff out of the way. Center City was decently crowded for a Thursday.
(They were filming Season 4 of some show I hadn't heard of around 22nd and Locust)
M. Night Shyamalan’s Apple TV+ show Servant. The house that’s featured is on the 2100 block of Spruce. I live around the corner. The whole show is filmed around Fitler Square. Cool article about the owners of the house and how they are helping the community:

https://www.phillymag.com/healthcare...location-chop/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations