HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

50 Hudson Yards in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:18 AM

Terrible. Just no aesthetic thought behind this at all. I had been on the fence about the overall project, but it looks increasingly like Hudson Yards is going to turn into a massive squandered opportunity to make a real positive addition to the city.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 10:34 AM

I do agree that this building is ugly but it looks like it might be a result of anticipated function? I this Hudson Yards (Plus WTC) is exactly what the city needs, 21st Century office space and living space. Environmentally friendly and Efficient. This city has infrastructure on a scale no other city in the country has and it's benefits should be maximized.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 12:53 PM

I actually like the simplicity of this design.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
I do agree that this building is ugly but it looks like it might be a result of anticipated function? I this Hudson Yards (Plus WTC) is exactly what the city needs, 21st Century office space and living space. Environmentally friendly and Efficient. This city has infrastructure on a scale no other city in the country has and it's benefits should be maximized.
There's nothing about its function that demands the building be ugly. For instance, there's nothing inherently wrong with extra-tall stories, or with being environmentally efficient. But why does it have to have these disjointed sections? Why the overhanging kind of neo-brutalist massing of that lowest section above the podium? Why the total indifference to its interaction with the street, and with the human form in general? Why the oppressively relentless rectilinearity? Why the total lack of ornamentation?

And look, I know some people are more favorable to "simplicity" in design than I am. But even by that standard the design fails: its a chunky, awkward, unbalanced simplicity. The best modernist buildings, like Seagram or even the old WTC, can at least have a certain grace. But there's no gracefulness here at all.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:42 PM
BANNED

I agree - the building is an abomination but what can you expect in the Hudson Yards? Most of the lots are zoned for office towers with little space for ground retail. Also I wouldn't get so worked on the design just yet because most of the Blvd. towers have quite some time to find tenants. Say 2020 or beyond...

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:18 PM

That rendering is great. Love the interplay between the buildings, and can't wait to see this rise in tandem with all the other HY towers.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:49 PM

I like this ugly duckling.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:51 PM

I like the building, but, here's my problem. When too many tall buildings are grouped together with little contrast in materials or height...you get the "Dubai effect". You see this at LaDefense in Paris also. For example, when the Seagram building was built it looked spectacular on Park Ave with the neighboring masonry boxy structures as contrast. I don't like the look of it (individual buildings--of whatever quality --blur together). When the buildings are built at the same time when a particular style is popular, watch out when that style becomes dated. Also, there's little human scale.... It's hard to tell how tall NBA players are when in a group.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:03 PM

^Well said.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
Terrible. Just no aesthetic thought behind this at all. I had been on the fence about the overall project, but it looks increasingly like Hudson Yards is going to turn into a massive squandered opportunity to make a real positive addition to the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
I do agree that this building is ugly but it looks like it might be a result of anticipated function?

Keep in mind that it's not a rendering of what will actually be built. It's just a render of a tower that could be built on site. But even at that, its a terrible one.

They would have been better off showing us something like this...
http://www.kentgould.com/wp-content/..._final_012.jpg

Anyway, this building will sit in the middle of a 6 building massing where only 1 will not be a supertall.

From 3 Hudson, clockwise to 35 Hudson.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 1, 2014 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
I like the building, but, here's my problem. When too many tall buildings are grouped together with little contrast in materials or height...you get the "Dubai effect". You see this at LaDefense in Paris also. For example, when the Seagram building was built it looked spectacular on Park Ave with the neighboring masonry boxy structures as contrast. I don't like the look of it (individual buildings--of whatever quality --blur together). When the buildings are built at the same time when a particular style is popular, watch out when that style becomes dated. Also, there's little human scale.... It's hard to tell how tall NBA players are when in a group.
miesian, you don't say much here but when you do it's stright to the point.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:06 AM

That's why you don't raze the Coach building.

It might not be special and it might not be stunning but it is handsome and it gives an area a bit of "age" and contrast that an all shiny new, all glass area really needs to avoid becoming too sterile.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:33 AM

I like this building, I hope it stays.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I don't mind little 4-6 story walkups being demolished but this structure is very nice. Well, in the end, its up to the developers to decide.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That's why you don't raze the Coach building.

It might not be special and it might not be stunning but it is handsome and it gives an area a bit of "age" and contrast that an all shiny new, all glass area really needs to avoid becoming too sterile.

Well, there's the thing. Either you're going to create these large development sites to build on, or not. The other option, which I'm sure no one here wants, including myself, would be to bulldoze large swaths of already developed Midtown, and start fresh. They're not even talking about doing that with the midtown east rezoning. The Coach building is nothing landmark worthy, and frankly not too special to look at. I recall someone here mentioning that the McDonald's was somewhat special. I would agree more with that than I would the Coach building. Because that McDonalds is at least unique. That Coach building is hardly that. It's an old building that somehow doesn't look worthy of being in that class.

Now, I get that New York at its best is a mix of the old and the new. What they're building here is a new New York, centered along a grand new boulevard, sort of a new Park Avenue for this century. But if we wanted something to just look like the NY of an earlier era, I'm sure they could build something like that. But that would be so far against the point of building here.

Here, your Coach and McDonalds, in all their glory. Who knows how long they have left to be with us.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 8:10 PM

Can a "illustrator" PLEASE draw a new diagram for 50 hudson. It looks terrible in the diagrams and nothing like the renderings have it looking

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 9:01 PM

The renderings were just concepts and will not be the actual design, FYI.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
The renderings were just concepts and will not be the actual design, FYI.
Still, the design it shows on here is brown and yellowish. I going to go out on a limb here and say if all the other buildings are blue glass, 50 hudson probably isnt going to be a big brown 70's-ish looking building.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael12374 View Post
Still, the design it shows on here is brown and yellowish. I going to go out on a limb here and say if all the other buildings are blue glass, 50 hudson probably isnt going to be a big brown 70's-ish looking building.
Yeah, we really need an official design. For now just ignore the diagram picture.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 8:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Not sure what these are for, but they're from Related, and the location looks about right...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture