HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 4:58 AM

I heard a rumour yesterday that the Extra Foods property had sold, and that apartments were planned there, but.....

https://www.cbre.ca/properties/retai...tting%2CisSale

...the rumour seems to have been premature. It's nice to know that the zoning is already in place for a small highrise there. Onward and upward!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
I heard a rumour yesterday that the Extra Foods property had sold, and that apartments were planned there, but.....

https://www.cbre.ca/properties/retai...tting%2CisSale

...the rumour seems to have been premature. It's nice to know that the zoning is already in place for a small highrise there. Onward and upward!
Fascinating, thanks for this update! My fantasy for this location would be a main floor grocery store (Co-Op) with a residential tower on top. Could also be an interesting opportunity for a 2-story grocery store to get enough floor space?!?

When it was first announced that ExtraFoods was closing, I sent Co-Op an email to encourage them to consider the site... obviously a single email doesn't carry too much weight, but I was heartened to learn that they did take notice of the property. Time will tell what ends up happening I guess.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 7:53 AM

One of the surprises for me with the Extra Foods property is that it includes the small parking lot on the other side of the alley from the store. I've been trying to imagine what a developer would do with that land. I wonder if they'd apply to close that portion of the alley, or if the parking lot could be sold and included in the plans for the houses to the west of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninipanini View Post
Fascinating, thanks for this update! My fantasy for this location would be a main floor grocery store (Co-Op) with a residential tower on top. Could also be an interesting opportunity for a 2-story grocery store to get enough floor space?!?

When it was first announced that ExtraFoods was closing, I sent Co-Op an email to encourage them to consider the site... obviously a single email doesn't carry too much weight, but I was heartened to learn that they did take notice of the property. Time will tell what ends up happening I guess.
Thankfully, Loblaws didn't add a restrictive covenant to the property when they left, so another grocery store is possible, at least.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/saskato...oods-1.5778457

A small grocery store is also envisioned for the proposal at 8th and Broadway. The strip could use a convenience store too in my opinion. The absence of the 7-Eleven and Extra Foods has left a gap to be filled, for sure.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 5:21 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I hate that schematic so much. like no BRT integration. No concept of how people are going to get there or in the season most predominant (winter).
What are you talking about? In the render there are major pedestrian plazas leading to the planned BRT stops at 23rd/1st and 22nd/Pacific

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
What are you talking about? In the render there are major pedestrian plazas leading to the planned BRT stops at 23rd/1st and 22nd/Pacific
We’re a winter city and a windy city. They could atleast integrate the BRT access to the arena vs just plopping it next to it.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 12:08 AM

It's a conceptual image, not a design.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:47 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
We’re a winter city and a windy city. They could atleast integrate the BRT access to the arena vs just plopping it next to it.
Based on Google Earth the distance from either intersection to the middle of the parking lot is ~100 metres, so the walk will be far less than that. You're complaining about a half-block walk?

This walk will shorter than the walk from the Saddledome to the nearest LRT station, Olympic Stadium to the nearest subway stop, Scotiabank Arena to Union Station, etc. And however long the walk is it will be shorter than the current hike from parking spot to front door at Sasktel Centre, and it will be much less windy given the downtown is more sheltered.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 7:25 PM

Best practice would also not put the transit stop right *at* the entrance but some reasonable distance away. You need space for large crowds to disperse to where they're going next... be it to their vehicle/bicycle, an uber/taxi, bar/restaurant, hotel, etc. Having a crowd queuing for transit right at the doors would be a clusterf***.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:20 PM

Why wouldn't they use the old STC building that Meridian fixed up as a transit hub??

It is a good enough looking building now, and was designed to accommodate buses. Seems like they should just incorporate it into the BRT plan for the arena since they are buying it anyway.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Why wouldn't they use the old STC building that Meridian fixed up as a transit hub??

It is a good enough looking building now, and was designed to accommodate buses. Seems like they should just incorporate it into the BRT plan for the arena since they are buying it anyway.
As someone who's used that bus depot before our province cruelly made the decision to axe this important public service, that facility was designed for buses to pull into perpendicular stalls, and then back out. Most municipal bus terminals are designed with parallel stops, I am assuming for practicality, safety, and speed.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask.ks View Post
Any chance you could post the render or provide a link? I’m intrigued!
Just looking back, links are no longer current, but a post from Echoes on page 56, post #1112 in this thread still holds a link to a SP interview with the developer, and you can see the concept on the first page of his presentation:

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca..._autoplay=true

Saskatoon has really blossomed in the last five years!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:34 PM

With the end of the year approaching, what are you all hoping for in 2023?

For my part, I'll be hoping for any and all forms of support for more residential growth in the core. The arena, library, BRT, and north industrial relocation plans will move things in the right direction, but they're years away and won't in and of themselves increase the number of people who call the core home. So yeah, I hope 2023 will bring some tangible reasons to be optimistic on that front.

How about you? What would you like the new year to bring Saskatoon?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:

For my part, I'll be hoping for any and all forms of support for more residential growth in the core. The arena, library, BRT, and north industrial relocation plans will move things in the right direction, but they're years away and won't in and of themselves increase the number of people who call the core home. So yeah, I hope 2023 will bring some tangible reasons to be optimistic on that front.

I agree with your list! By this time next year we should be well into the construction of the library, and our BRT. (When I attended the BRT naming/branding meetings.. they had promised announcements by year end 2022.. so look forward to that early in the new year. The latest email stated all applications for funding was complete)

Do you have a link to possible north ind. relocation plans? (Thx in advance)

Hoping to see more on the perimeter freeway (Phase 1) taking shape.

I also look forward to more dialogue/concept drawings regarding the combined Performing Arts, Convention Center, Arena, and Parking!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:

I think #1 for me is more residential growth in the core, I feel like increased density is the lynchpin to a lot of other exciting developments. I've excitedly watched the new condo/apartments in the Broadway area and am looking forward to the new development on Broadway and 8th. And hopefully a new grocery store... My fingers are crossed that increased density will lead to increased vibrancy of our core neighborhoods and move Saskatoon one little step closer to being a more walkable, sustainable city with more high quality housing in central areas!

BRT will be another interesting one to look out for, as my car turns 22 years old, BRT could make grocery shopping by public transit a viable option and eliminate our last excuse for keeping our car!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LSaskatoon View Post
Do you have a link to possible north ind. relocation plans? (Thx in advance)
I have no idea how these plans have developed in the last few years, but here are two articles from 2018

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ndustrial-area

https://globalnews.ca/news/4425975/a...ct-city-yards/

and from 2020

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...anned-for-2028

The 2018 articles are neat relics for their references to Arbutus's proposal to purchase and develop land in the north industrial area. In hindsight, it's probably just as well that the proposal never gained traction (i.e. because of the current relationship between Arbutus and the city). Anyway, moving the city yards seems like a realistic, tangible first step towards any future redevelopment plans, but who knows what will be accomplished in the next decade, let alone the next few years. There are certainly more attractive downtown properties to develop first, especially for residential uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninipanini View Post
I think #1 for me is more residential growth in the core, I feel like increased density is the lynchpin to a lot of other exciting developments. I've excitedly watched the new condo/apartments in the Broadway area and am looking forward to the new development on Broadway and 8th. And hopefully a new grocery store... My fingers are crossed that increased density will lead to increased vibrancy of our core neighborhoods and move Saskatoon one little step closer to being a more walkable, sustainable city with more high quality housing in central areas!

BRT will be another interesting one to look out for, as my car turns 22 years old, BRT could make grocery shopping by public transit a viable option and eliminate our last excuse for keeping our car!
The BRT project will be interesting to watch in part because of how it dovetails with the city's corridor plans:

https://www.saskatoon.ca/business-de...ridor-planning

2023 should be a big year for the development of these plans and the incentives that will help support that kind of densification. Something to watch, for sure.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 2:46 PM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LSaskatoon View Post
I think this article was discussed last May, when it was published. In any case, given that there was a bear spray / meat cleaver (!!!) attack across the street from SIAST last night, that area seems to be clinging to a modicum of decency, even with the closure of the crime-magnet City Centre Inn. Losing the campus is unfortunate for that part of the city, even if the move is overdue.

If it is rebuilt on the university's lands, then their "University Sector Plan" will need an update. When I moved here years ago as a student, one of the jarring things to me about the university was how disconnected it is from the rest of the city. It's its own little island. If SIAST becomes its neighbor, I hope it spurs development plans for the research farms and helps connect the area to the rest of the city.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 6:11 PM

Arbutus was granted their appeal on the holding symbol removal for their affordable housing apartment project in Rosewood. Looks like some negotiating still to do but good to see this moving forward again.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/arbutus...tion-1.6219468

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisniel View Post
Arbutus was granted their appeal on the holding symbol removal for their affordable housing apartment project in Rosewood. Looks like some negotiating still to do but good to see this moving forward again.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/arbutus...tion-1.6219468
So has this all just been a "pissing fight" between the City and Arbutus because of Murray Totland being a previous employee of City? Is there some kind of bad blood there???

I am happy for Arbutus. They certainly have taken their fair share of knocks with our city, but must still see the opportunity to succeed here.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 10:41 PM

Construction Update on 4th Ave across the Delta Hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan