HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 5:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
I would use OMNY, except friggin Edenred doesn't send us RFID cards for our commuter pre-tax benefits. And I'm loathe to spend $5 for something that we should be getting anyway. So here I am still using a worn-out Metrocard like a luddite (I also refuse to spend $1 for a flimsy easily-scratched piece of plastic).

i was in the exact same boat with edenred until i just retired! so thats a way out of it --

but yeah you definitely have to use edenred because its pre-tax and it is maddening that they dont support omny services.

i doubt they will either until the metrocard goes away and they are forced to act.

also, word to the wise watch edenred closely that they aren't ripping you off.

i canceled after covid as it had built up and a month or so later they randomly reinstated it without my noticing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i use an mta omny card for transit, but you dont have to use that, you can use your phone, which most people do.

the metrocard is still around, but on its way out.

and of course, these days, other that tourists or busters, irl no one pays.
Oh in LA too, if you downlod the TAP app, you can use your phone to pay for the bus/train/bike share.

I personally like using the TAP card... it's smaller/slimmer and I feel it's quicker to use---slides easily in and out of my back pocket. And I guess, unlike most people, I like to take my phone out as little as possible.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Oh in LA too, if you downlod the TAP app, you can use your phone to pay for the bus/train/bike share.

I personally like using the TAP card... it's smaller/slimmer and I feel it's quicker to use---slides easily in and out of my back pocket. And I guess, unlike most people, I like to take my phone out as little as possible.
I looooove the TAP app on my phone. I've used it several times now, and it just couldn't be easier.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 5:29 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

anyone thats pays is a sucker these days.

literally no one pays.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 8:12 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

super complex bike parking in japan —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwWVr...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Sep 9, 2023, 11:38 PM

Over in my neck of the woods...

Only 1.5 miles long, but it's a start---2-way protected bike lanes on a one way street in Pasadena, CA. It officially opened today (Saturday, 9.9.2023).

I took a few pictures---while driving in my car!

Separate traffic signals for cars, bikes, and pedestrians... hopefully everyone will behave properly.

Photo by me

Photo by me

See... bikes and peds need to wait while the driver has a "protected" left turn...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

2-way bike lane on a one-way street. You can see that there's a bike signal facing the other way.

Photo by me

There are some solid islands too, not just plastic bollards, separating bike/vehicular traffic, but I didn't take a picture. Some raised driveway aprons, too, for higher visibility of cyclists, and for cyclists to be aware of possible motorists entering or exiting driveways/parking lots.

The first signalized protected bike lanes I saw in LA County are in Long Beach, and this was probably 11 or 12 years ago. And then they installed some in downtown LA. These are the first in Pasadena, and as far as I know, they're the first in the SGV.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 12:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ you’re showing us this bike path with nobody on it from your car?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 2:14 PM

Quote:
anyone thats pays is a sucker these days.

literally no one pays.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
^ you’re showing us this bike path with nobody on it from your car?
Yeah.

I only saw two cyclists using it, each going in opposite directions. This was probably around 1 in the afternoon, and I had driven the whole length of the bike path.

Hopefully more people will start using it. Again, it's only 1.5 miles long, but it's intended to connect some key parts of Pasadena (Old Town, Playhouse Village, Pasadena City College, Caltech).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 6:36 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Yeah.

I only saw two cyclists using it, each going in opposite directions. This was probably around 1 in the afternoon, and I had driven the whole length of the bike path.

Hopefully more people will start using it. Again, it's only 1.5 miles long, but it's intended to connect some key parts of Pasadena (Old Town, Playhouse Village, Pasadena City College, Caltech).
It’s new. And for it to really work as intended (e.g. carrying a high volume of traffic) it needs to be a part of a complete system of bike lanes and infrastructure.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 4:58 AM

A local Cincinnati bike shop hosted its annual hill climb ride on Sunday, Sept 17. This shop is owned by a guy who rode BMX in the 80s and so isn't a roadie-type place at all. I encouraged them to hire someone with a drone to film this event in the future because Cincinnati is without a doubt one of the most interesting bicycling cities in the United States given its steep terrain, confusing street layout, and wildly varied cityscapes.

We did about 2,300 feet of climbing over a route length of about 12 miles (this graphic includes the ride to/from my house).

The "Everest" climb has become a bit of a thing in the last five years and it would definitely be possible to do an all-Cincinnati Everest route that doesn't repeat any hills.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 2:59 PM

Lots of updates on Atlanta's Beltline, a multi-use trail circling the city. Currently more than four additional miles are under construction, two more miles are shovel ready, and 2.2 more miles received a RAISE grant and is in design.

Northeast trail construction:

Southside trail construction:

Westside trail construction:

Northwest trail design plan to cross Peachtree Creek:

Last edited by shivtim; Sep 18, 2023 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 4:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

I like that bridge.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 5:39 PM

I read this in an article about electric delivery vans. I thought it is pretty neat.

"But in New York, DutchX is launching a new service to bring small loaded containers into Manhattan by ferry, then load them onto Fernhay electric cargo bikes for city deliveries, said DutchX co-founder Marcus Hoed. The company will use the bikes to deliver packages for its customers - which include Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods.

"Some customers are pushing very, very hard for as many zero-emission deliveries as possible," Hoed said.

DutchX's revenue should rise by more than a third to around $40 million this year. The company will launch operations in Philadelphia this year, with three or four more additional U.S cities next year..."

Startups with electric vans race to fill demand for zero-emissions delivery

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ry-2023-09-18/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 5:41 PM

shivtim-- Thank you for posting. These extensive multi-use trails really make an area more desirable to visit and to live at.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
shivtim-- Thank you for posting. These extensive multi-use trails really make an area more desirable to visit and to live at.
100%. Atlanta has been doing a great job of this recently with the Beltline, PATH, Trolley Line trail, and some other initiatives. I just wish we were doing as well with "regular" bike lanes and cycle tracks, and connectivity. It's fits and starts, and very little enforcement for cars that block bike lanes.
For anyone interested, here's a crowd-sourced map of Atlanta's bicycle infrastructure.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 2:45 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

interesting bike cleanup problems here —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cvhs9...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 5:42 PM

Atlanta's open streets event, "Streets Alive," returned yesterday. It will be one Sunday a month on Peachtree Street this fall. Hoping to continue or expand it in the spring.

Source

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 12:29 PM

Nice update for the Schuylkill banks suspension bridge and boardwalk extension in Philadelphia. It will complete the fully off road path connecting Center City and Southwest Philadelphia

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 11:53 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation