HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:51 PM

The Famous Players theatre at KP, it was converted from the grocery store. The large angled part with the garage doors on the outside at the north end.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Where are the remaining traces of the Dominion store at Kildonan Place?
From what I remember near the Lens Crafters the exterior still had the doors for the grocery pickup area which was basically a Dominion exclusive back in the day. Also around the other side the loading docks for the grocery store are obviously still there. It isn't much of note really as the KP Dominion store was very generic in its overall look.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:44 PM
What could go wrong?

I thought those loading docks were for massive daily deliveries of popcorn and syrup for drinks at the movie theater.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:42 AM

The Safeway in the Charleswood Centre @3900 Grant is in a former Dominion location.

Free Press Dominion ad for Aug 10 1985 only shows two stores operating in Winnipeg, the one on Grant (when it was still called the Forest Park Mall) and the one in Kildonan Place

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 2:23 AM
Starring as himself

There used to be the Dominion and Loblaws on Osborne at Kylemore, right next to each other. There was a big empty area to build on between Kylemore and Morley after the old Fort Rouge Yards were removed in the 1950s, so I imagine that's why two modern-style grocery stores with big parking lots ended up being located side-by-side in that space. The Loblaws was turned into the Fort Rouge Leisure Centre around the time that Fred Tipping Place was built. The Dominion became Safeway (unless I have it mixed up -- it was quite a while ago now).

The line-up of grocery stores used to be a lot more varied: Tom-Boy was where I remember my mom shopping - that one was replaced by the Autopac Claims Centre on St. Mary's Road.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 2:03 PM

A little outside "Winnipeg" retail, I thought it was noteworthy that Gimli has a Meta Cannabis store under construction currently. It is notable as they were one of the communities that the media often talked about that initially banned cannabis retailers. I never heard anything about that being changed until I saw the store.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
A little outside "Winnipeg" retail, I thought it was noteworthy that Gimli has a Meta Cannabis store under construction currently. It is notable as they were one of the communities that the media often talked about that initially banned cannabis retailers. I never heard anything about that being changed until I saw the store.
Meta is also in the process of opening a store in Selkirk. It was supposed to be opened in March... it’s now the middle of June and still not open. I wonder if they are struggling as tweed is laying off some people at their stores. meta has the highest prices, they charge $5 to $15 more per 1/8th than all the other stores so I doubt a lot of people shop there.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:15 PM

I'd be interested to hear how sales are doing in the weed market. There's a lot more selection at the locations I've checked. Prices are hiiiigh. No pun intended.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:05 PM

KP is doing a good job. Making moves!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
KP is doing a good job. Making moves!
What Gonna Happen To Dollarama In Kildonan Place

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'd be interested to hear how sales are doing in the weed market. There's a lot more selection at the locations I've checked. Prices are hiiiigh. No pun intended.
Everything I’ve heard regarding sales is that they are way under what they were expecting. I don’t blame the public for not shopping at the legal shops, cannabis is way too expensive... they are selling product for twice the price that it’s worth. Even with the mark up and all the costs associated with operating a store they are overcharging. $68.99 for 3.5 grams of “premium” dried cannabis is ridiculous. A year ago I was a goddamn criminal now the government wants to me to pay double the price... I can get 7 grams for $40. Imagine paying $30 for a single tomato. Ha!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 11:50 PM

Dominion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The Safeway in the Charleswood Centre @3900 Grant is in a former Dominion location.

Free Press Dominion ad for Aug 10 1985 only shows two stores operating in Winnipeg, the one on Grant (when it was still called the Forest Park Mall) and the one in Kildonan Place
There was a Dominion Store in Garden City Shopping Centre in the 1970's

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
Where the food court is if I remember properly from that far back in time.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
I am just barely old enough to remember the last days of that Dominion in the mid 80s. cllew is right, it's where the food court is, although from my vague recollection I think they demolished the supermarket (must have been around 84 or 85?) and built the food court/retail space new.

I remember reading that the chain really suffered from intense competition in the sector in the 70s and 80s, but they managed to keep it going in the eastern half of the country.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
What Gonna Happen To Dollarama In Kildonan Place
Since there's one across the street, maybe they just close. Or move into one of the new CRU spaces.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Everything I’ve heard regarding sales is that they are way under what they were expecting. I don’t blame the public for not shopping at the legal shops, cannabis is way too expensive... they are selling product for twice the price that it’s worth. Even with the mark up and all the costs associated with operating a store they are overcharging. $68.99 for 3.5 grams of “premium” dried cannabis is ridiculous. A year ago I was a goddamn criminal now the government wants to me to pay double the price... I can get 7 grams for $40. Imagine paying $30 for a single tomato. Ha!
I tell this to the staff and they tell me to call the politicians. They'll have to lower prices at some point or go out of business.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I tell this to the staff and they tell me to call the politicians. They'll have to lower prices at some point or go out of business.
Well it's just like booze. The government is gonna extract every last penny out of you they can. In Europe beer and wine are sold pretty cheaply in most grocery stores because they think of those things as groceries and the alcoholic apocalypse is not upon them, yet we talk about privatizing liquor sales and you would swear that the world would cease to exist as we know it based on the reaction. The government should just get out of both the weed and liquor business and just let people be already.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 7:05 PM

Completely agree.

There's somethings I believe the government should be involved with. These things are utilities. They should never be privatized ever.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Well it's just like booze. The government is gonna extract every last penny out of you they can. In Europe beer and wine are sold pretty cheaply in most grocery stores because they think of those things as groceries and the alcoholic apocalypse is not upon them, yet we talk about privatizing liquor sales and you would swear that the world would cease to exist as we know it based on the reaction. The government should just get out of both the weed and liquor business and just let people be already.
This. This is the post.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Headshot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan