HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
The one thing that will make it complete is the Coastal Bowl between the Lions and the Schooners.
Will be shitty for travel, but should have good marketing and hype! East coast vs West Coast.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:32 AM
Go Chiefs!

Bianca is off to the semis.

Next match vs Bencic in less than 24 hours. Things are getting serious now, all 3 remaining women are ranked higher than Bianca. It's going to be a good test for her but I am confident she is up to the task.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:55 PM

Bianca is a beast.. hoping for a final with Serena.

Canadian tennis history underway. I wonder if she played hockey... got the legs and the attitude. You will not beat me.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:51 AM
Go Chiefs!

Off to the finals she is!!!!

As long as she stays healthy, she will win MANY SLAMS in her career. Serena better bring her A game on Saturday if she wants to have any chance.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:45 PM
arf

Down three games in each set and she comes back to win both. Ridiculous. 4-1 and 5-2 and then she rolls off the last 5 games of the match including saving a break point serving for the set. So many places she could have lost her nerve. Great stuff.

Serena is going to be looking to really play well as she was injured the last time they met. Should be an interesting final.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:46 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Bianca is so good when she's healthy, it's scary. Key words are "when healthy". Hopefully she remains healthier throughout her career than Raonic.

She's 38-4 this season. She retired in one of the matches and withdrew before the start of another one. So she technically has lost 2 full matches this year (Australian Open in January and in Acapulco in February).

She's pretty much unbeatable when healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Really disapointed in FAA. Yes, he's young, yes Shapovalov played PERFECT TENNIS but he is seeded is expected to win some matches.

As for Andreescu, I really believe she is the woman to beat in this year's US Open.
Let's go Bianca. Show Serena what you're made of.

Biggest moment in Canadian tennis history so far starts in 90 minutes!!!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 7:08 PM

Serena has beaten her opponents quite easily on her way to the final. Andreescu, not so much. It will be a good learning experience for her though, and should help her on her way to winning a Grand Slam some time in the not so distant future.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 10:03 PM

I really have no interest in Tennis, but...

She the North!!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 10:05 PM

She won we won!!!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 10:31 PM
Go Chiefs!

BIANCA!!!!!

Canada finally has a Grand Slam tournament winner. Next step is to have someone in the men's game win it all.

BTW-Andreescu is now 24-0 since March 2nd if we exclude matches she had to retire.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 11:26 PM

She dominated even with Serena making a strong comeback attempt. Amazing to see.

This really does feel like maybe the biggest celebration for an individual Canadian sporting accomplishment since Mike Weir in 2003. GSP dominated his weight class in the UFC for years, but the global reach isnt really comparable to something like a grand slam tournament. Really hope she can keep this going, seeing a Candian win Wimbledon would be amazing as well.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Serena has beaten her opponents quite easily on her way to the final. Andreescu, not so much. It will be a good learning experience for her though, and should help her on her way to winning a Grand Slam some time in the not so distant future.
By "not so distant future," I take it you were meaning a few hours after your post.

Way to go Bianca!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 11:37 PM

My strategy paid off. It was even a little bit of an easy match

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 4:01 AM

I only very casually follow tennis these days, not like 15+ years ago. Still not gonna jump right back in the deep end but at least we have her to captivate us. Will be watching her super closely now. Very refreshing to have an individual athlete at the top their game in an individual sport with such a high profile. Ya, Weir comes to mind. Jaccques Villeneuve captured my imagination for those few years.

I'm proud her or any Canadian that makes it big, but especially hometown kids. She trains 15 minutes away from home and just down the street from my wife's work.

I hope she gets a celebration at Square One Celebration Square. They were going to host a viewing party there but it was already booked. Hope they do this and get some good vibes unlike that right wing tool last week filming himself at muslim fest asking sikh politicians if they support sharia law.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I only very casually follow tennis these days, not like 15+ years ago. Still not gonna jump right back in the deep end but at least we have her to captivate us. Will be watching her super closely now. Very refreshing to have an individual athlete at the top their game in an individual sport with such a high profile. Ya, Weir comes to mind. Jaccques Villeneuve captured my imagination for those few years.

I'm proud her or any Canadian that makes it big, but especially hometown kids. She trains 15 minutes away from home and just down the street from my wife's work.

I hope she gets a celebration at Square One Celebration Square. They were going to host a viewing party there but it was already booked. Hope they do this and get some good vibes unlike that right wing tool last week filming himself at muslim fest asking sikh politicians if they support sharia law.
What? Why would Donald Trump go to Muslim Fest?

Great post. Lol.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 12:16 PM

Close enough. Knock off Donald Trump. Seeing more and more of these low life Trump and Trumpettes around.

Two year ago up north dude with wrap around Oakvleys on and chain hanging out of his pocket is walking on the side of the the road watching the procession of cars heading back home from cottage country and singles me out and points at me at shouts GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!

Last week in front of Union Station some cracked out, Parkdale, looking lady walking her bulldog was spewing out some hateful shit while crossing the crosswalk a along with an older brown skinned family saying "YOU FUCKING PAKIS". No one really paid attention nor did that family really take offense because everyone could tell she was of the Parkdale type.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 2:06 PM

Andreescu has killer dropshot. Too bad she couldn't use that often against speed and power Williams.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 4:12 PM

I liked her reaction, celebratory but not too disrespectful to Serena. I liked the "Snow Angel" on the court, that should become a Canadian celebratory thing. I know she didn't quite do a "Snow Angel" and I don't think she meant to, but I'm planting the idea

Great reaction by the director to get that shot so quick too.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 4:55 PM

Her mother seems a little weird. She just kind of sat there showing very little emotion, with her big crazy hair and big sunglasses.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Her mother seems a little weird. She just kind of sat there showing very little emotion, with her big crazy hair and big sunglasses.
I like that, she's a character. They don't all have to be like NHL dads who always look and act pretty well the exact same way. (I'm sure they're good guys, don't get me wrong, but a little flare is nice too)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada