HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Four Seasons Private Residences at 706 Mission in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Actually, it's beautiful . . . but what's it have to do with Mexico?
Hahaha

Were you expecting the Chinatown kitsch treatment—with Aztec artwork and Jaguar statues?

Regardless, I hope the Mexican Museum actually makes this it’s home. Perfect location.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Hahaha

Were you expecting the Chinatown kitsch treatment—with Aztec artwork and Jaguar statues?

Regardless, I hope the Mexican Museum actually makes this it’s home. Perfect location.
No. Actually, I was partial to the original design by Ricardo Legoretta who is actually Mexican (and winner of numerous architecture prizes)--call him and his work "Chinatown kitsch" if you like, I'm sure he won't care. But that had to be abandoned because it was a free-standing museum, not the base of a high rise.

Unlike you, I won't second guess a Mexican architect about what is Mexican. But this design is by Americans who don't seem to have tried to evoke Mexico is any discernible way. That's because it's an American development with a Museum on its lower floors as a sop to the San Francisco development process that it needed to toss in order to get approved. Neither the designers nor the developer seemed to care about Mexico.

Perhaps I'm wrong about that, though, so if they have an explanation of how the screen relates to what's inside it, I'd love to hear it. I think there should be a connection. As things are, the only way anyone passing will know it's a Mexican Museum is because I expect there will be a sign saying so.

And hahaha right back atcha.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Dec 29, 2020 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 6:37 AM

Quote:
I think there should be a connection.
So what. Nobody cares that the Asian is not in an "Asian" themed building, nor should they. It's San Francisco, not Disneyland. The screens are an amazing piece of art in and of themselves.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 7:48 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
So what. Nobody cares that the Asian is not in an "Asian" themed building, nor should they. It's San Francisco, not Disneyland. The screens are an amazing piece of art in and of themselves.
I agree—most of our museum buildings don’t express the theme of their contents. This development is outstanding, the base is not a sop to the SF development process but a genuine gift to the Mexican Museum (if it can survive at all), and the fact that it probably has nothing to do with Mexico is utterly irrelevant. Yes, the Ricardo Legorreta Vilchis design was very interesting and appropriate, though it didn’t happen. It’s way past time to move on and to appreciate what resulted.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
As you very well know, the Asian is a reuse and the building is what it is. Your comment is pretty much irrelevant.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I agree—most of our museum buildings don’t express the theme of their contents. This development is outstanding, the base is not a sop to the SF development process but a genuine gift to the Mexican Museum (if it can survive at all), and the fact that it probably has nothing to do with Mexico is utterly irrelevant. Yes, the Ricardo Legorreta Vilchis design was very interesting and appropriate, though it didn’t happen. It’s way past time to move on and to appreciate what resulted.
I disagree. I think the designers could have given some form of nod to the Mexican use of the first floors consistent with the rest of building design.

That's all there is to say. We don't and won't agree that it's OK for the exterior to ignore the interior and its fundamental purpose.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 8:08 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I think the designers could have given some form of nod to the Mexican use of the first floors consistent with the rest of building design.

That's all there is to say. We don't and won't agree that it's OK for the exterior to ignore the interior and its fundamental purpose.
Feliz Navidad, Pedestrian. It appears that, although it doesn't meet your criteria entirely, it does in fact 'nod' to a Mexican theme.

"The facade of The Mexican Museum draws its inspiration from the topography of the Popocatépetl volcano in Mexico. Conceived and designed by the artist Jan Hendrix..." via The Mexican Museum IG post here

And for the artist's statement, see this video

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 8:59 PM

Thank you, BobbyMucho, for providing the facts proving that the bloviating gasbag Pedestrian was totally wrong on the facts, yet again. LOL.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 1:37 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Thank you, BobbyMucho, for providing the facts proving that the bloviating gasbag Pedestrian was totally wrong on the facts, yet again. LOL.
yikes, craigs, while I generally appreciate your input and comments, that was uncalled for. whether you agree with Pedestrian or not more broadly, in this instance he carefully and gently couched his post with 'Perhaps I'm wrong about that, though, so if they have an explanation of how the screen relates to what's inside it, I'd love to hear it.' I had actually wondered the same thing, and BobbyMucho helped out with that, with good references. I thought the exchange was productive and what forums are for.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 11:56 PM

delete-duplicate

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I love you too in spite of your too-frequent, hate-filled ad hominem off-topic posts.

In this case, though, you are totally wrong. You don't actually read any of my posts but here's what the first one in this series said:

Quote:

Perhaps I'm wrong about that, though, so if they have an explanation of how the screen relates to what's inside it, I'd love to hear it. I think there should be a connection. As things are, the only way anyone passing will know it's a Mexican Museum is because I expect there will be a sign saying so.
I've been waiting for someone to address the issue and someone finally has. I knew of course, that it wouldn't be craigs who just likes to rant. And while I doubt the typical viewer will get the connection, I'm satisfied that attention was indeed paid to having one. And I agree that something more obvious might have seemed "kitschy" in such a subtle building.

But in the end it's nice to see that the architect agreed with me: The museum floors needed SOME connection with what is within so they drew "inspiration" from a Mexican icon.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
yikes, craigs, while I generally appreciate your input and comments, that was uncalled for. whether you agree with Pedestrian or not more broadly, in this instance he carefully and gently couched his post with 'Perhaps I'm wrong about that, though, so if they have an explanation of how the screen relates to what's inside it, I'd love to hear it.' I had actually wondered the same thing, and BobbyMucho helped out with that, with good references. I thought the exchange was productive and what forums are for.
For the insight of all, craigs is a "progressive" and I am not. We frequently disagree with each other in the Skybar and he insists on carrying it over into this section (this is not the first time). I consider that unfortunate but to be expected.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 11:17 PM

My first view of the screen today - find it interesting & look forward to eventually seeing it in person. If the screen had been less abstract & more "Mexican" what would happen if the Mexican museum does not happen?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
My first view of the screen today - find it interesting & look forward to eventually seeing it in person. If the screen had been less abstract & more "Mexican" what would happen if the Mexican museum does not happen?
I've been asking about that too: The Mexican Museum has been trying to raise the money for its build-out for over a decade. Have they got the money now or is it still a question mark? Anybody know?

Their web site says they are "at the threshold of achieving a bold and profound vision that was initiated by its founders in the 1970s . . . ." Being "at the threshold" is not the same as being over the finish line.

On the other hand, the same web site does have some nice renderings of the interior:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 11:28 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Why not just walk the 15-20 minutes it takes from Fox Plaza to 706 Mission? You can wear a mask and be outdoors for the entire time, I cannot imagine being so afraid of virus spread that you choose to not even go for a walk for an entire year.

What do you mean by being 'more Mexican'? What can be more Mexican than a topographical map of Mexico. I don't expect anyone to be hanging Piñatas.

Last edited by fimiak; Jan 1, 2021 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Why not just walk the 15-20 minutes it takes from Fox Plaza to 706 Mission? You can wear a mask and be outdoors for the entire time, I cannot imagine being so afraid of virus spread that you choose to not even go for a walk for an entire year.

What do you mean by being 'more Mexican'? What can be more Mexican than a topographical map of Mexico. I don't expect anyone to be hanging Piñatas outside.
We all seem to be awfully sensitive these COVID-fatigue days. I think the "more or less" Mexican issue was settled by the information that the architect did have a vision of a relationship between his design and that culture, whether or not its blatant.

As to walking over there, it's a question of how badly you want to go see it I guess. Maybe Jerry has other priorities. Several people have posted pictures of this screen. I'm glad Jerry's keeping us up with the 1600 block of Market St, a slightly different direction that no one else seems very interested in except me and I'm out of town so I can't hike over there.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 7:11 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
We all seem to be awfully sensitive these COVID-fatigue days. I think the "more or less" Mexican issue was settled by the information that the architect did have a vision of a relationship between his design and that culture, whether or not its blatant.

As to walking over there, it's a question of how badly you want to go see it I guess. Maybe Jerry has other priorities. Several people have posted pictures of this screen. I'm glad Jerry's keeping us up with the 1600 block of Market St, a slightly different direction that no one else seems very interested in except me and I'm out of town so I can't hike over there.
I think you are right Bruce. The project is beautiful, we now know details regarding the design, and perhaps we should all try to be nicer to one another in this more hopeful new year.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post

What do you mean by being 'more Mexican'? What can be more Mexican than a topographical map of Mexico. I don't expect anyone to be hanging Piñatas.
fimiak - "More Mexican" is open to anyone's idea as to what would make the grill uniquely so and that is why I was vague.

People should not make presumptions as to why other people do or don't do something in their personal life. As a friend said, "Why are you minding my business?" I will never question anyone in this forum other than what their opinion is concerning architecture.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:
As a friend said, "Why are you minding my business?" I will never question anyone in this forum other than what their opinion is concerning architecture.
to that

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:20 AM
heavy user of walkability

ground floor starting to take shape. this is along Third St

car pull-in area on the right I think?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive