HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:04 PM

I was back in New York this week and a huge number of people are still masked, alone, walking, biking and even driving. I think a large chunk of the population likes being masked and will continue to mask themselves for the foreseeable future.

At this point I’m not sure it’s virtuous, I think it’s actually anxiety and paranoia related. A lot of people would prefer to not show their faces, and prefer to maintain their anonymity. Like it or not, the draconian measures have changed society and some people have quite literally gone insane.

You still see some of this in LA but I’ve seen less here than in New York.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
I was back in New York this week and a huge number of people are still masked, alone, walking, biking and even driving. I think a large chunk of the population likes being masked and will continue to mask themselves for the foreseeable future.

At this point I’m not sure it’s virtuous, I think it’s actually anxiety and paranoia related. A lot of people would prefer to not show their faces, and prefer to maintain their anonymity. Like it or not, the draconian measures have changed society and some people have quite literally gone insane.

Covid was the introvert prom but now school is back in session and all the weird kids have the jitters. You should come to my neighborhood. Its full of awkward kids and their weird parents still living out the shutdown.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I was just watching Phoenix news yesterday, they were talking about downtown development. Looks great! Yeah I don't think general American migration trends are going to change much but regionally. I think we'll see alot more suburban development. Alot more town center type stuff. I think urban Americas rep is tarnished for a bit so downtown is going to need to work on its PR in alot of places. I think affordable blue metros in red states and swing states are going to see a banner decade. Ohio River valley and inland west im looking at you.
If you haven't been downtown in the last few years its another world.

When I was a kid downtown was abounded to like a near Detroit level. The change is nothing short of astonishing. Downtown, in my opinion is now equal to if not surpassing mill avenue for nightlife, and close to old town, but it still lacks the high end dinning and clubs of Scottsdale. Id prefer to keep the clubs in Scottsdale but I would like downtown to have some nice higher end restaurants. Sucks having to take a 20-30 minute uber for nice steakhouse

Can you show me the news story you watched? the boys in the local forum love that kind of stuff

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:

This is projection nonsense. We use public transit. Masks are still required on public transit.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
We use public transit. Masks are still required on public transit.
Yes, I understand that. And I didn’t say anything about Public Transit in my post... I’m referring to the people who have mask fetishes outside of Transit.

Not sure how that’s projection, but I’m not here to argue with you or try and prove you wrong, which seems to be something you like spending your time doing with people you don’t agree with.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. And I didn’t say anything about Public Transit in my post... I’m referring to the people who have mask fetishes outside of Transit.

Not sure how that’s projection, but I’m not here to argue with you or try and prove you wrong, which seems to be something you like spending your time doing with people you don’t agree with.
Yes you are here to argue. Don't act like you didn't make an inflammatory statement just to get a rise out of people. We aren't dumb.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Yes you are here to argue. Don't act like you didn't make an inflammatory statement just to get a rise out of people. We aren't dumb.
Yeah, if I were here to argue.. you took the bait. But I’m not.

Sorry I offended you. Clearly you’re one of the mask cultists and were horribly offended by my observation. Move on.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

meh, that's a bunch of uninformed wish projection. everything in nyc is a bunch of people, so give it a minute -- nyc had just dropped the mandates. also masks are still required on all transit and private businesses can still require them, so people typically have their hands full and don't tend to pull them off instantly when they walk in and out. no worries -- rents are exploding and as exemplified by yourself and your own visit people are pouring back into the city.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, if I were here to argue.. you took the bait. But I’m not.

Sorry I offended you. Clearly you’re one of the mask cultists and we’re horribly offended by my observation. Move on.
I'm not offended. Your take on it is dumb and you should be embarrassed for having said it out loud. People aren't wearing masks because of "anxiety" or "paranoia".

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not offended. Your take on it is dumb and you should be embarrassed for having said it out loud. People aren't wearing masks because of "anxiety" or "paranoia".
So then what you’re saying is that it is virtue signaling? That’s even worse than anxiety or paranoia.

I’m not embarrassed. If it’s that dumb you should move on, clearly, since you think you’re superior.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
So then what you’re saying is that it is virtue signaling? That’s even worse than anxiety or paranoia.
You aren't that dense. I just explained to you why people are wearing them.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
You aren't that dense. I just explained to you why people are wearing them.
Wearing masks in cars, or jogging on the west side can’t be blamed on the subway.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
If you haven't been downtown in the last few years its another world.

When I was a kid downtown was abounded to like a near Detroit level. The change is nothing short of astonishing. Downtown, in my opinion is now equal to if not surpassing mill avenue for nightlife, and close to old town, but it still lacks the high end dinning and clubs of Scottsdale. Id prefer to keep the clubs in Scottsdale but I would like downtown to have some nice higher end restaurants. Sucks having to take a 20-30 minute uber for nice steakhouse

Can you show me the news story you watched? the boys in the local forum love that kind of stuff
Here you go. It was on your ABC station a few nights ago. https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...e-housing-boom

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Wearing masks in cars,
People who chauffeur people around will obviously wear masks in a car. That falls under public transit.

Quote:
or jogging on the west side can’t be blamed on the subway.
Bullshit. Nobody is jogging with a mask on. You're making shit up now.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

people in US cities walking around outside masked in march of 2022 may be (in no particular order):

1. just going to/coming from an establishment that is still requesting people to wear a mask
2. just going to/coming from transit/taxi/rideshare/whatever
3. virtue-signaling
4. paranoid/anxious
5. stupid
6. have a cough/runny nose/fever/sneezing/whatever and don't want to spread their germs
7. it can still be fucking cold in march in some places and a mask feels nice to them
8. a wannabe islamic fundamentalist
9. some other reason

or any combination of the above

unless you're stopping and asking every person you see on the street who's still wearing a mask why they are doing so, making blanket statements about their motivations only serves to show that you are in fact talking out of your ass.

you don't know.

stop pretending that you do.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 11, 2022 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:11 PM

Re. NYC and masks, there aren't many people wearing them out in public anymore. And I'm in the type of neighborhood where virtue-signaling is basically religion. There's no one jogging with a mask, LOL.

If you see someone walking down the street in a mask, they're EXTREMELY likely to be headed to/from transit or some business where masks are required. So obviously it makes sense to not be taking on and off.

When I was in Mexico City over the holidays, I wore masks outdoors basically all day, not bc I had to, but bc every interior environment in the city required it. The only thing more annoying than wearing a mask is taking it on and off all day.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
people in cities walking around outside masked in march of 2022 may be (in no order):

1. just going to/coming from an establishment that is still requesting people to wear a mask
2. just going to/coming from transit/rideshare/whatever
3. virtue-signaling
4. paranoid/anxious
5. stupid
6. have a cough/runny nose/fever/sneezing/whatever and don't want to spread their germs
7. it can still be fucking cold in march in some places and a mask feels nice to them
9. some other reason

unless you're stopping and asking every person you see on the street who's still wearing a mask why they are doing so, making blanket statements about their motivations only serves to show that you are in fact talking out of your ass.

you don't know.

^ also, visitors from hootervilles are always taken aback by random large crowd situations in big cities as you are going about your day. for them crowds are only event related.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:40 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Not bullshit. I live in suburban Houston and I've seen it even around here. Mostly young people; high school/ college age. Not a lot but enough to where it's noticeable.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
People who chauffeur people around will obviously wear masks in a car. That falls under public transit.

Bullshit, I see idiots on bikes with masks and people jogging with masks on here in Pittsburgh, and it was warm today and I still saw it. If it’s happening here, it’s def happening in NYC.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 6:48 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
people in US cities walking around outside masked in march of 2022 may be (in no particular order):

2. just going to/coming from transit/taxi/rideshare/whatever
3. virtue-signaling
4. paranoid/anxious
5. stupid
9. some other reason

you don't know.

I would agree with this statement

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions