HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Looks like work is going on at the old Masonic Temple on Donald.

On the wire mesh site fence there is a banner for an electrical contractor (with new service cable hanging off the wall next to an existing transformer on Ellice) and a banner for what looks like an engineering company. Didn't see any contractor info signs.

As I was driving I could not get names for either of them.

ETA I just checked the city permit page and there were some building permits just issued for this building in the last few days
Good news-that beautiful building has been empty for too long IMO.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 12:03 AM

Winnipeg Sunset Cam

I have set up a live cam facing the Legislature. Its on Youtube at the following link. I want to leave it up, but sometimes it goes down so when I put it up again Youtube creates a new link. Depending on when you are seeing this the link maybe a play back of a live broadcast. Like and subscribe if you want to see the latest live. Right about this time of year is when the sunsets near or behind the Leg sometimes with amazing colours.

The current live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKL5HNgcmc

Here is a sunset view from a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlInDCmQYj0

The view is from 390 Assiniboine Ave.

Last edited by eman; Mar 28, 2022 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:17 PM

Wow thank you! I was just saying how winnipeg doesn’t have any live cams or traffic cams at all. I wonder why that is? Seems every other city has live moving cams.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 8:43 PM

les.net has run some at times. Like during the convoy protests at the legislature, early parts of some construction projects, one at the forks for a few years.

But I agree, not enough. I should have run one while I was living in a downtown highrise. So many wild moments on the streets.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Wow thank you! I was just saying how winnipeg doesn’t have any live cams or traffic cams at all. I wonder why that is? Seems every other city has live moving cams.
Winnipeg has lots of traffic cams but their feeds aren't available to the public. They all feed into the traffic management centre. They tweet out GIF's of the problem areas.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
les.net has run some at times. Like during the convoy protests at the legislature, early parts of some construction projects, one at the forks for a few years.

But I agree, not enough. I should have run one while I was living in a downtown highrise. So many wild moments on the streets.
les.net is also based in the nutty club building

and his network prolly has played a huge ole in the growth of our tech sector downtown

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 3:45 PM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/why-one-...oors-1.5842405

With Parkview Place closing as long-term care home, are there any plans for conversion to apartments?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 7:42 PM

"An outbreak was declared at Parkview Place in September of 2020. It resulted in the deaths of 29 residents."

My word that's sad.. 29 elderly and vulnerable people. I remember some of the stories people being left to die and dead for days.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 10:42 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
"An outbreak was declared at Parkview Place in September of 2020. It resulted in the deaths of 29 residents."

My word that's sad.. 29 elderly and vulnerable people. I remember some of the stories people being left to die and dead for days.
The death of one is a tragedy, but the death of a million is just a statistic...

Right after WPS throws their criminally negligent asses into Stony for the rest of the 21st Century, to be brutally honest, that building has done virtually nothing for Winnipegs West End. Between a soon-to-be-demolished Parkview Place & the old Morocco block razed by fire, among other potential incoming high-rise developments, densification of Portage Avenue & (hopefully) no more bullshit spewing out of the Wellington Crescent elites... there is a very real chance that along with actual rapid transit development down Portage - not just another bus lane - it may be theoretically possible to turn the entire Portage stretch between Polo & Downtown into some sort of extremely wealthy and CIVILIZED (aka, without the hoodrats and their machetes) George Jetson-level paradise which was been eluding Winnipeg for centuries.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
The death of one is a tragedy, but the death of a million is just a statistic...

Right after WPS throws their criminally negligent asses into Stony for the rest of the 21st Century, to be brutally honest, that building has done virtually nothing for Winnipegs West End. Between a soon-to-be-demolished Parkview Place & the old Morocco block razed by fire, among other potential incoming high-rise developments, densification of Portage Avenue & (hopefully) no more bullshit spewing out of the Wellington Crescent elites... there is a very real chance that along with actual rapid transit development down Portage - not just another bus lane - it may be theoretically possible to turn the entire Portage stretch between Polo & Downtown into some sort of extremely wealthy and CIVILIZED (aka, without the hoodrats and their machetes) George Jetson-level paradise which was been eluding Winnipeg for centuries.

…..? Dafuq??

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 1:45 AM

Looks like there are demo fences up around the old Pier 1 and EQ3 at Polo Park. Wonder where Joey's is gonna relocate to if redevelopment of that section of the parking lot is indeed progressing..?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 5:58 AM

^Saw that on the way to work today. Can't wait for the medium rises to start populating the area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 1:42 PM
surely you agree with me

Do we know what’s replacing it?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Looks like there are demo fences up around the old Pier 1 and EQ3 at Polo Park. Wonder where Joey's is gonna relocate to if redevelopment of that section of the parking lot is indeed progressing..?
It feels like those buildings aren’t that old

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
It feels like those buildings aren’t that old
Does anyone know if commercial zoning has the same clauses that residential properties do, where you can't tear down a building without having permits for whatever replaces it?

Might be a way to find out what will replace the two buildings.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 7:47 PM

What's going on at the Centennial Concert Hall? I noticed last week that there is all sorts of scaffolding going up in front of it.

Are they having problems with the precast concrete fascia again? I thought that was fixed the last time they took it all off.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
What's going on at the Centennial Concert Hall? I noticed last week that there is all sorts of scaffolding going up in front of it.

Are they having problems with the precast concrete fascia again? I thought that was fixed the last time they took it all off.

Story from Mar 2021:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tion-1.5940714

"The work on the exterior will include reinstalling Tyndall-stone cladding on the outside of the building. Similar work began in recent years on the Manitoba Legislature.

To do the reinstallation, 40,000 square feet of old stone cladding will need to be removed. The existing system supporting that stone will also be replaced."

--
MB Gov't Bulletin:

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2021-03-08

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 9:33 PM

Thanks for the update on the Concert Hall. Somewhere I missed seeing that article

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 8:05 PM

saw this great image on twitter from seattle:

https://twitter.com/pushtheneedle/st...02607304675330

a nice visualization about how current zoning rules would make well-loved buildings impossible to build today. i would love to see something like this for winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 1:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the example used prolly only has one stair case in the tower portion as well

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan