HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 1:31 PM
BANNED

Praise The Lord!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Glad to see 1WTC drop further to 5th place by roof height. Also, I just stumbled upon this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...new-york-city/

Last edited by pianowizard; Apr 20, 2022 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 6:08 PM

This might be my favorite Norman Foster design to date.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
This might be my favorite Norman Foster design to date.
I agree.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 4:49 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I'm still partial to Hearst Tower - also an amazing lobby - and 30 St. Mary's Axe (The Gherkin) in London. The Reichtstag restoration in Berlin is also both symbolically and aesthetically pretty amazing if you've seen it in person, and HSBC Hong Kong still holds up both conceptually and aesthetically. This tower will be amazing from an engineering and skyline perspective, but I think those are better architectural acheivements.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 2:06 PM

I wish Foster would carry over some of this buildings style and grace over to his horrendous design for PEN15.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 12:47 AM
New Yorker for life

If the renderings are an indication, this tower will be lit up like a Christmas tree from head to toe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccnvuj7pqR-/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 12:52 AM
BANNED

Praise The Lord!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 7:56 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 8:17 PM
BANNED

ICON!!!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 10:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Still dont care for the compressed diamonds. Would have looked better as triangles of the same size.

-

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 12:42 AM

I disagree. There's nothing like the diamond motif on the NYC skyline. But you just have to look at the rendering above for an example of a triangle. (Citigroup/ 601 Lex)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

I think it would look better with a couple of even smaller diamonds added to the top. But it’s already a good design that even New Yorkers who don’t care about skyscrapers (which is most) will come to know and recognize.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 2:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 2:52 AM
BANNED

Good Lord! This building is simply extraordinary! It screams: “ Financial Capital of the World!”

I hope that 175 Park, in the words of Emiryl LaGasse: “Kicks it up a ‘nawch’”!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Still dont care for the compressed diamonds. Would have looked better as triangles of the same size.

-
I only now realized that the diamond motif gets gradually more 'compressed' as you go up each setback. Before they looked a bit random to me. Now realizing this it feels a bit more harmonious and I like it more.

And as incredible as the form is, I'm more excited for and think this will be one of the leading and most impressive interiors to any skyscraper in the world. For one, the lobby is already A++. but I'm interested in seeing these monstrous 20'+ ceiling sky amenity/lounges with multiple rooftop terraces and mind boggling NYC views. This feels like the beginning of a new era/standard of a skyscraper to me, with 175 Park following this lead. Maybe a bit like the Chrysler and ESB one two punches a century ago.

Last edited by rivernorthlurker; Apr 23, 2022 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 5:37 PM

Does this building have an unusually large proportion of mechanical floors? Just from the renderings above, not counting floor 2 (or 3, whatever the one just above the lobby is) and the last skinny section at the top, I count 21 mechanical floors, based on “louvered” façade.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 6:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
Does this building have an unusually large proportion of mechanical floors? Just from the renderings above, not counting floor 2 (or 3, whatever the one just above the lobby is) and the last skinny section at the top, I count 21 mechanical floors, based on “louvered” façade.
Not an unusual amount of mechanical space, though not having sublevels pushed some things up. What it has is a lot of amenity space, something the older buildings weren’t designed to accomodate. For example, the top 3 floors of the first section is basically a public space for employees. And there is more of that throughout the building. And of course, the unusually high ceilings, another amenity the new buildings have.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 4:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not an unusual amount of mechanical space, though not having sublevels pushed some things up. What it has is a lot of amenity space, something the older buildings weren’t designed to accomodate. For example, the top 3 floors of the first section is basically a public space for employees. And there is more of that throughout the building. And of course, the unusually high ceilings, another amenity the new buildings have.

Good point.

I suspect strongly that there must be mechanical levels below 52 that are not labeled in this diagram, especially given the way the façade is rendered. The changes in appearance look functional, not aesthetic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction