HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Sorry if I missed this discussion, but where did the 1,388' height come from? Is it PD/zoning driven?
from the horse's mouth.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...525-story.html

Quote:
[...]
the new skyscraper would soar to a height of 1,388 feet, downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly and a source familiar with the plans confirmed.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:16 PM

I see ppl on here never bother to read the first page of these threads,
Lol.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:04 AM
BANNED

1,388 is really gonna push the skyline towards epic proportions. Just imagine walking across the Michigan Ave bridge with this monster ahead of you, Vista and Spire site to the South, Trump and Wolf Point to the West. Woof.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:37 PM

Who's going to the meeting today?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I will try to be there.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I mos def will be.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:52 PM

Thanks everybody in advance for going. Wish I could be there.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Can't believe the day is already here. With this and the snow, it's like Christmas in April!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Can't believe the day is already here. With this and the snow, it's like Christmas in April!
Yep and similarly on that note, I had been like a kid looking for Christmas presents ahead of the meeting date on the clerk’s website but came up empty. Best not spoil the surprise I guess

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Yep and similarly on that note, I had been like a kid looking for Christmas presents ahead of the meeting date on the clerk’s website but came up empty. Best not spoil the surprise I guess
I'm sure Crain's or the Tribune will have the scoop by the mid-afternoon. But part of me wants to turn a blind eye and be surprised on the spot.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Why would the developer file a petition for rezoning if they are still involved in complex negotiations with the alderman and community groups? That would be a sign of bad faith on the developer's part.

Usually you only see that if the developer is incompetent, or if 90% of the details in the PD have already been hammered out and the only points of contention relate to the height/density/massing of the proposed building. The developer is confident of an eventual approval by the alderman, so he feels comfortable filing the petition and then swapping in a revised plan later with a Substitute Ordinance. Doing it that way can shave a month or two off the approvals timeline, but for a condo project the developer still has to go through a long pre-sales period before launching construction, it's not like they're going to mobilize on site with a foundations permit the second the ordinance is passed.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:17 PM

I'll be there tonight in support. And I'll update my 3d Chicago model accordingly.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:13 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...to-be-revealed

April 16, 2018
Developers to unveil Tribune Tower redevelopment plans

By DANNY ECKER

Quote:
The owners of Tribune Tower tonight will publicly unveil their plans to redevelop the historic Mag Mile building and erect what could be one of the city's tallest towers on the lot next to it.

In its first step toward gaining community approval for the project, the development team of Chicago-based Golub and Los Angeles-based CIM Group will share its vision at a public meeting of a Streeterville community group.

Details of the proposal remain under wraps, but the Chicago Tribune reported earlier this year that Tribune Tower will be converted into 165 residential units with retail on its first two levels while Golub and CIM would build a 1,388-foot tower on a surface parking lot just east of the building that would include 220 hotel rooms and 158 condo units.

The developers will need to win the backing of downtown residents and especially 42nd Ward Ald. Brendan Reilly to move forward with their plans, which will be revealed more than a year and a half after Golub and CIM bought the site for $240 million.

Quote:
The Tribune reported in January that one iteration of Golub's proposal included a $13.6 million payment to the city's neighborhood opportunity fund, which allows developers to pay for additional height and density on their projects beyond what is allowed under zoning rules.

First of fucking all, DX zoning doesn't have any height limits. Secondly, this is extortion by the alderman. The land is zoned under two different classifications, and the alderman is asking them to take the lower classification, thus causing developers to pay for density they'd probably have gotten if the project went under the higher zoning.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:36 PM
The City

^ Yeah it's utter crap, but I have to admit I do like the idea of the neighborhood opportunity fund

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yeah it's utter crap, but I have to admit I do like the idea of the neighborhood opportunity fund
This is why I wasn't upset about the lower classification being selected. About $5 million has been given to about 50 South and West side businesses, ranging from neighborhood groceries to new coffee shops. $100 million more is planned to be collected for the program, so imagine the impact all that money will have

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Man i can't wait to see the renderings! and i just lurve the income redistribution thingy with the neighborhood opportunity fund. the revenue should come from corporate income taxes, but let's face it, no one pays income taxes anymore.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
This is why I wasn't upset about the lower classification being selected. About $5 million has been given to about 50 South and West side businesses, ranging from neighborhood groceries to new coffee shops. $100 million more is planned to be collected for the program, so imagine the impact all that money will have
Why not do the same thing at the higher classification is my point?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Why not do the same thing at the higher classification is my point?
It's b/c the contribution scales with how much additional FAR is needed. They're going for DX-12 (FAR 12) and are upzoning, so they contribute $13 million. If they started at DX-16 (FAR 16), they would contribute less since they don't need as much additional FAR

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 8:42 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

I feel a bit like a kid about to enter a huge candy store in anticipation of the renderings about to be made public!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:35 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I feel a bit like a kid about to enter a huge candy store in anticipation of the renderings about to be made public!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Like Christmas in April. Snow and all.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals