HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

1710 Broadway in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 26, 2021, 7:34 AM

Sheath the facade in the same stone as the existing building and preserve the little darling. The base doesn't even look all that bigger than the original in the render.

Once these classic gems are gone they're never coming back.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Demo permit....

https://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/J...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORK 06/22/2022

FULL DEMOLITION OF 6 STORY STRUCTURE USING HAND HELD AND MECHANICAL MEANS TO ASSIST.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 2:32 AM
Show me the blueprints

A lot of people would describe the old building as unremarkable but I would describe it as the definition of handsome and graceful - a beautiful restrained little building. The new tower better impress.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
A lot of people would describe the old building as unremarkable but I would describe it as the definition of handsome and graceful - a beautiful restrained little building. The new tower better impress.
I agree. I think that the old building was really nice. There’s so much crap in Times Sq that should come down.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 1:43 PM

The massing diagram shows a base that is roughly the same as the existing building. It's a shame they didn't want to do a facade-ectomy here.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 5:59 PM

In addition to simply being a handsome prewar, this is Albert Kahn's only Manhattan building. He was a significant early 20th century architect. It's a shame they're not doing a facade-ectomy--a firm like CookFox, Adjmi, or maybe RAMSA could have integrated it nicely into a contemporary masonry tower.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:40 PM
Show me the blueprints

I had no idea this was an Albert Kahn design...

This is even more disappointing.

Is there any chance that we are just not reading this correctly and it is in fact a facadectomy?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Aug 3, 2022 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 7:50 PM
BANNED

I hope that Extell also starts construction on its empty lot at 54th and 7th.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:59 PM
New Yorker for life

For the landmark enthusiasts, an interesting discussion from CB5. Likely won't go anywhere, but...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 6:14 PM
BANNED

I'd like to see this building landmarked, and Extell, in return, should be permitted to transfer all of the air rights to its lot on 54th and 7th.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 7:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

I wouldnt be opposed to seeing the tower plans dropped for this property as the tower design is a bit lackluster and a little breathing room and northward view could be an asset here, plus the architectural significance of the current building. In exchange for this an air rights transfer could be accomplished and a rooftop spectacular sign, maybe a throwback style neon type, would be an awesome addition as the neighboring buildings would frame it quite nicely.

Last edited by Busy Bee; Oct 28, 2022 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 3:37 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/new-york/202...elopment-site/

Extell unloads Midtown development site at apparent loss
Gary Barnett’s firm appears to take sizable haircut at 1710 Broadway

By Orion Jones
October 9, 2023

Quote:
Gary Barnett is letting go of a development site in Midtown.

His Extell Development has agreed to sell 1710 Broadway, at the southeast corner of West 54th Street, for $173 million, records show. In 2017, Extell paid $268 million for it.

Riu Hotels and Resorts bought the site, PincusCo reported. A Riu spokesperson confirmed the sale.

Extell is working to get plans approved for a 54-story, 673-unit hotel to replace the six-story, 52,000-square-foot office building at the address, but the Department of Buildings has yet to sign off.
Quote:
Bad Boy Entertainment leased the entire building in 2004. Barnett’s assemblage includes 360,000 square feet of air rights obtained in 2016.

Extell owned about 82 percent of the property, and the transaction is expected to create $54 million in cash, according to regulatory filings with the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, where Extell’s bonds trade. The price of the site works out to around $590 per buildable square foot.

Barnett’s firm had bought into the project in 2015, taking a 39 percent ownership stake, using proceeds from the sale of its Ring Portfolio. The developer, in partnership with C&K Properties, hoped to bring a 60-story, hotel-condominium building to the site. The year after the 2016 air rights deal, Extell acquired the deed for $268 million. It sought to sell the site in 2018, then refinanced it the following year with a $124 million loan.

That loan, from Israel’s JVP Partners at a rate of 4.5 percent over LIBOR, may have come due and helped motivate the building’s sale. The LIBOR interest rate, which underpins many financial contracts, has risen to nearly 6 percent from below 1 percent in 2021.

The sale to Riu may help Extell build a financial cushion while debt costs remain elevated and the Federal Reserve signals that it might keep interest rates up for a while yet. Prior to the sale, Extell told bondholders it valued the Midtown site at $193 million, or $20 million more than the eventual price.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 4:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

REALLY want to see the historic building preserved as-is or receive a facadectomy with setback tower above. WIN-WIN. Of course imagination and respect for history is required.

Is there any chance the building having gained interest for landmarking contributed to Extell's decision to unload the site?

Last edited by Busy Bee; Oct 13, 2023 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 6:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Is there any chance the building having gained interest for landmarking contributed to Extell's decision to unload the site?
No. The building hasn't gained any traction for landmarking status beyond the customary community board fanatics.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 7:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

Did you watch the video you posted? Its a pretty compelling case for landmarking. I wouldn't describe any element of it as "fanatical".

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

Apparently no one was moved enough to save this understated beauty because it's currently wearing the black death net of demolition. Too bad. A facadectomy with tower above would have made for a very interesting combination. All we can hope for now is the new development looks like a worthy replacement.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Apparently no one was moved enough to save this understated beauty because it's currently wearing the black death net of demolition. Too bad. A facadectomy with tower above would have made for a very interesting combination. All we can hope for now is the new development looks like a worthy replacement.
It should have been saved. LPC are alseep at the wheel as usual. Where will we draw the line?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Apparently no one was moved enough to save this understated beauty because it's currently wearing the black death net of demolition. Too bad.
Thoughts and prayers.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 9:12 PM

I don't get it, I don't think this building was that special? Quite short and not much ornate ornamentation from what I can tell. There have been way more tragic teardowns, Calvary Baptist, the Bancroft building, and the Rizzoli bookstore on 57th come to mind. Made even worse by the fact that they are still empty lots or being replaced with something banal.

This might be replaced with something soaring and iconic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals