HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:00 PM
Space Magi

Here's a skyline shot I took from 600 N yesterday. I was trying to reproduce Wikipedia's 2011 skyline picture but I think that must have been taken with a drone. What's crazy is that you can't even see 95 State from this angle.

Here's a photo from Faultline Park, also taken yesterday evening. The backlighting of the buildings makes the smoke look worse than from the west at this time of day.

Also, here are a couple photos looking south on Main Street:

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 4:02 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Some are pretty obvious, while others may prove to be relatively controversial (such as #16 or #17). Large locations like #1 or #27 could even be home to multiple towers if built to max density. #24 has been selected for a two floor Utah State Liquor store and around a 5 floor parking garage attached, but I think that would be a huge waste of a D-1 zone property.

Ken Sanders is the most controversial pick for me. I’d hate to see that building torn down and have them move again.

The ones on exchange place chosen are not my first choices for that block, though probably the easiest targets.

Really Exchange Place could use a makeover. A major one. I’m talking tear down the Exchange Place parking garage and the building to the north that fronts 300 S (I hate this building, does anyone love it?), then bury the parking put a plaza where the garage used to to be and where the useless tiny park is now, build a sleek midrise or two on 300 South with midblock connection to the new plaza, similar to the current 250S State project, rehab the old building to the east on 300 S, make it look pretty from the plaza, turn it into something cool, then plop down plenty of street level retail and seating. It would be very expensive.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
#24 has been selected for a two floor Utah State Liquor store and around a 5 floor parking garage attached, but I think that would be a huge waste of a D-1 zone property.
24 is a waste, but it's the state, they don't care. I hope Ivory gives up on 23 so a developer with vision will do something worthy of what it's taking away.

21 has a drive thru, which, if Quattro was any indicator, is more valuable than millions of dollars worth of units for the next 100 years.

I thought 26 had plans, they just wanted to put some Citifront Apartments style car entry that required PC approval. I haven't heard anything about it since. I'm hoping they gave up on it because that would be a waste of prime real estate.

I'd add the east side of the Sheraton parking lot to the west of 27, and the north side, too, if they can work out a shared parking agreement.

And from Moffat to 300 East on 400 South has some workable properties, tho the tenants/owners seem pretty entrenched. It would be ideal if it's consolidated with the Cinema Square parcels to the north.

And I wish the city would eminent domain tf out of Yardstick since they just recently put it back on the market to give someone the privilege of paying them to improve their property and give it back to them in 20 years, after 30 years of blight.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Here's a skyline shot I took from 600 N yesterday. I was trying to reproduce Wikipedia's 2011 skyline picture but I think that must have been taken with a drone. What's crazy is that you can't even see 95 State from this angle.

Such a shame 95 State isn't a 500'+ tower, it would've looked amazing in the skyline. I'm liking the impact the CCH is having from this angle!

Nice pics by the way!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 6:36 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2theSKY View Post
Such a shame 95 State isn't a 500'+ tower, it would've looked amazing in the skyline.

Nice pics by the way!
Couldn’t agree more. It’s barely visible from the west side. Such a missed opportunity!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 12:14 PM

600 South TRAX station construction:

Huntsman Cancer Center Phase 5 construction:

Sky bridge connecting to Phase 3 (Huntsman Cancer Hospital Overflow):

Main building:

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 5:58 PM
dtwn_living

The hole has been dug for Edison

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 11:39 PM

How did the meet up go? Curious how many people showed up. I’d like to catch the next one but work interfered.

Maybe we could have an impromptu meet up if an opportunity came up to walk a project?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 1:32 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
How did the meet up go? Curious how many people showed up. I’d like to catch the next one but work interfered.

Maybe we could have an impromptu meet up if an opportunity came up to walk a project?
We had me, RC14, mstar, meman, Orlando, and JTO (did I miss anyone?). It was great to meet the people behind the profiles! We walked and talked for a bit and the streets were pretty empty, probably because of the very smoky conditions and because it was a bit early in the evening. After that most people went home but me and meman went to Gracie's and had dinner and a beer. It was very lively and the view of downtown from the patio was nice. There were more people out and about when we walked back.

I think it was a pretty good time overall. Maybe we can plan it around an activity or event next time.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 1:43 AM

Nice to see work begin on the 600 South TRAX station. Any idea what the name of it will be?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 12:30 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Nice to see work begin on the 600 South TRAX station. Any idea what the name of it will be?
I’m assuming they’ll call it midtown.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 2:32 AM

Thanks Atlas for the great time we had on Friday night talking about downtown Salt Lake.

Just wish more people could have come with us and Im looking forward when we all can get together again.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 6:15 PM

Ya, thanks Atlas. Sorry for bailing early.

There were about 6 or 7 of us, which is about the same number as we have had in years past. Atlas, RC14, Meman, Mstar, Jto, myself, and a lurker made brief appearance. Jedi, what happened man?

There was a lurker who showed up and wanted to give a plug about his recording studio in Marmalade up on 3rd west and 4th north, I believe. Anyone else who attended, please link some info.

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 9, 2021 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 6:57 PM

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed getting to know each of you. Was fun to talk about buildings!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 7:20 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

A closer look at the base/entrance to 95 S State.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:45 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Thanks Atlas for the great time we had on Friday night talking about downtown Salt Lake.

Just wish more people could have come with us and Im looking forward when we all can get together again.
I was hoping to make it, but the smoke was too much for me. Hope you folks had a good time.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Using this photo as a reference, the Astra tower should top out right we’re the dark blue/purple horizon meets the Devon tower on the right side of the building. Think that’s about right?
This looks like a giant phallus. Wholly out of place.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 1:55 AM

I recently read an interesting article in the NYT, "The Downtown Office District Was Vulnerable. Even Before Covid," by Emily Badger and Quoctrung Bui (7/7/21). It makes me wonder if these trends are here to stay and to what end SLC is taking this into account in terms of long range development sustainability. Are projects like 95 State and Sundial as necessary as they once were? Just some food for though.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ore-covid.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
According to the GPS coordinates of the Wikimedia photo, it was taken from the 900 West overpass. I guess you could do it if you had a nice camera with a zoom and rode your bike so you could pull off the road.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 1:49 PM

I can’t seem to pull up Building Salt Lake. Does anyone know if their site is down?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West