Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 8:41 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
But there's the Delta breeze...
Yes that's true

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 8:51 PM
你的媽媽

SMF is also the top midsize airport in the US according to the WSJ.

Quote:
Sacramento International Airport, just 100 miles northeast of SFO and a competitor for some Northern California fliers, nabbed the top spot among midsize airports and the highest score overall. Airport director Cindy Nichol, who used to work at San Francisco International, attributes Sacramento’s high score to good weather, plenty of runway space and customer service. The airport’s landscapers even pitch in to direct travelers, she says, earning passenger compliments.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bes...22-11668645546

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Is Sacramento's climate the same as Fresno's? Fresno was scorching hot when I was there one summer. It felt just slightly milder than Las Vegas in the summer.
No...it's much drier and hotter in Fresno than it is in Sacramento. Sacramento gets down into the 80s and 90s sometimes during the summer when the Delta Breeze kicks in, too. Fresno rarely, if ever, does. It's hard to conceptualize how the diurnal temperature range differs in Sacramento in the summertime when compared to Eastern cities that are more humid if you haven't lived there or experienced a summer there. The mornings are usually pretty cool...starting in the 50s or low 60s. By noon, it may get over 80 degrees and around 2 it'll get to about 90. It will maybe hit 100 around 3:30 or 4pm and stay there until just after 5 when it will start to go back down and be back around 80 at about 9pm. Compare that with a city like Chicago where it may not get into the 60s at all in the morning and be up around 80 by 9am and stay over 80 until close to midnight...and that's the AIR temperature and not the PERCEIVED temperature. That moisture in the air holds a lot of heat and makes it feel hotter (as I'm sure you know). There is almost no humidity in Sacramento in the summertime. So, you don't feel nearly as hot and not for nearly as long on the vast majority of summer days.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 9:09 PM

One of the nice things about Sacramento's weather (except for the hot summers) is that you get a change of seasons that you don't experience on the coast. I remember the fall and spring were especially nice and the winters ae pleasantly cool.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 10:43 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Sac State alum!
Yes, it can get hot, but not nearly as bad as the other CV cities. There's two rivers to play in and it's a two hour drive to the ocean (cold AF) or the Sierras. The keeper is no humidity...omg just can't do that ish.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:36 PM

I lived in Fresno for five years and visit Sacramento during the summer and I can’t tell the difference they both seem equally hot.

Sacramento wouldn’t be a city of choice to live in, but I also wouldn’t be depressed should I need to move there for a great opportunity. I lived in Fresno in my mid 20’s and made the best of it, and I actually learned to enjoy my time there, so Sacramento would be a nicer city to reside in overall. Even Fresno isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. I even had a good friend of mine who grew up on the east coast (Baltimore, Philadelphia, and NYC) made a comment that Fresno isn’t much compared to other California coastal cities but would be considered a rather nice and decent place to live if was in eastern park of the country.

Also I agree the city is loaded with trees everywhere, much more than I’ve seen in some water rich cities across this country.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:44 PM
E pluribus unum

Coming from Arizona, the hot summers don't bother me too much so long as its not too humid.

But hot winds, like the Santa Anas in Southern California? No thank you...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Coming from Arizona, the hot summers don't bother me too much so long as its not too humid.

But hot winds, like the Santa Anas in Southern California? No thank you...
Central Valley cities summers are a breeze compared to parts of Arizona and Southern Nevada (Las Vegas).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:56 PM

To put some numbers on this, the average highs in July for each city:

Oakland: 71.6
San Jose: 82.2
(Chicago: 85.2)
Livermore: 89.0
Sacramento: 92.6
Riverside: 93.3
Fresno: 97.7
Redding: 99.9
Las Vegas: 104.5
Palm Springs: 108.6 (!)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Sacramento's slogan literally is "City of Trees". I think you would be very surprised if you google photos and look at the street view of the city, how much of a tree canopy there is. It's looks very similar to Eastern cities.

Source: http://senseable.mit.edu/treepedia/
And Cleveland is the "Forest City."

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:33 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Sacramento is uninhabitable in summer.
i mean…has the Sierra front range on its doorstep and at no time have I ever seen an extended forecast for Sacramento when I was working in the Bay Area that was worse in summer than the lower midwest…literally half of the midwest.

it’s a hot-summer mediterranean climate which sounds soft to my Missouri ears.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:41 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
To put some numbers on this, the average highs in July for each city:

Oakland: 71.6
San Jose: 82.2
(Chicago: 85.2)
Livermore: 89.0
Sacramento: 92.6
Riverside: 93.3
Fresno: 97.7
Redding: 99.9
Las Vegas: 104.5
Palm Springs: 108.6 (!)
Yaah, driving down I-5 to visit LA in the summer gets hotter and hotter as you pass all those signs.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:55 AM
你的媽媽

Didn’t realize so many SSPers live(d) in Sac!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 2:58 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Didn’t realize so many SSPers live(d) in Sac!
It was a hot subforum back in the day!

Last edited by TWAK; Dec 2, 2022 at 3:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:10 AM
你的媽媽

It's nice to see Sactown getting some love and recognition though. It's long been a rather underrated place due to it being overshadowed by the big boi metros in CA. The midtown/downtown areas have very nice urban bones. I'm glad the Kings decided to stick around. Very good craft coffee scene as well. I also echo the sentiments that it'd be a good laid back, more affordable alternative to the Bay. I know plenty of people that have moved up there over the years and they really enjoy it. It's pretty much at the midpoint between SF and Tahoe/Sierras, so you can easily daytrip to get your urban fix or your outdoor fix.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:15 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I'd like to visit Sacramento. Never been before, but I have a feeling I might like it. The downtown seems kinda meh from what I've heard/seen on streetview, but the urban grid is pretty impressive and extensive, and the tree canopy does seem to be robust. I get the sense there isn't a ton to do there, but I'd still like to visit. Maybe on the way to Tahoe sometime.

Neighborhoods like this and this seem very comfortable. Kind of East Bay/Portland vibes. It seems like a nice place to grow up or raise a family, and the people I've met from there have been nice and grounded and largely without pretense. I get why people would say it's like a Midwestern city on the West Coast. I have heard about the awful summer heat, though. Wouldn't love that...
If you find yourself wanting to stay in CA long term and find the coastal cities unaffordable, Sac would be an excellent, affordable option given the reasons stated above.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:16 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
It's nice to see Sactown getting some love and recognition though. It's long been a rather underrated place due to it being overshadowed by the big boi metros in CA. The midtown/downtown areas have very nice urban bones. I'm glad the Kings decided to stick around. Very good craft coffee scene as well. I also echo the sentiments that it'd be a good laid back, more affordable alternative to the Bay. I know plenty of people that have moved up there over the years and they really enjoy it. It's pretty much at the midpoint between SF and Tahoe/Sierras, so you can easily daytrip to get your urban fix or your outdoor fix.
I'm still upset Sac State (where I went) isn't the flagship of the CSU system.
Yes, it was a breath of fresh air having the Kings stay after years of relocation talk and failures. Now fans gotta go through the same crap with the A's.....

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:17 AM
你的媽媽

Davis is also a great little college town with lots of cyclists and nice little downtown. Elk Grove on the other hand... blech.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:18 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Regarding Sacramento's tree canopy, the critical metric is not how much rain falls on Sacramento; it's about how much rainwater flows from, and snow melts down, the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountains and then into the Sacramento and American rivers. Those rivers flow through the heart of Sacramento, and raise the local water table high enough to provide trees in the area with sufficient water to grow tall and sturdy in the California sunshine.

MIT found Sacramento's tree canopy covers 23.6% of the city. That is lower coverage than they found in Vancouver and Singapore, but higher coverage than they found in New York, Paris, Los Angeles, London, Boston, Seattle, Toronto, Geneva, Tel Aviv, Turin, Frankfurt and Amsterdam.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:21 AM
你的媽媽

Proximity to some of those Sierra foothill old gold mining towns is also a unique selling point for Sacramento as well. Many scenic lakes as well. Not just Lake Tahoe. And the American River for white water rafting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions