HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 7:52 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
That's also south of Lake st. This crane is on Fulton (you can see the Google signage on the old cold storage building) The only other possibility would be 210 N. Aberdeen but that crane is situated mid block between Lake and Fulton
Crazy that it's all the way on Elizabeth... that's a good 1.8 miles away from where I was standing (on the Two Illinois Center raised plaza). Telephoto compression is confusing.

You can see another crane a little bit above and to the left, which I'm guessing might be 210 N Aberdeen.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 5:31 PM

Looks like the core is pretty much topped out at the Big Deahl high-rise.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 8:48 PM

Love what it did to the skyline. The roof top amenities in that building will be epic.

QQ, isn’t there another high rise approved for that pocket? I think between the chase bank and the strip club I recall that one being even taller. Not part of the Big Deahl development.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 10:08 PM

thats a nice little cluster forming there, standout when driving along the Kennedy.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailspyro@gmail.com View Post
Love what it did to the skyline. The roof top amenities in that building will be epic.

QQ, isn’t there another high rise approved for that pocket? I think between the chase bank and the strip club I recall that one being even taller. Not part of the Big Deahl development.
Yep.

Ignore my out of date design for Big Deahl. It's on my to do list

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Yep.
Would love to see more architectural flair at the top of buildings. The tallest proposed building in LY having a slight taper is a welcome sight in a cluster of boxes. Not every building needs a spire, crown, or setbacks, but I can't think of a significant addition to the city since 400 N Wabash that hasn't had a flat roof. It's getting boring. "Form follows function" set this city on the map architecturally, but its disciples/exploiters are slowly ruining that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:54 AM

Hopefully Tribune East will break that trend.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Would love to see more architectural flair at the top of buildings. The tallest proposed building in LY having a slight taper is a welcome sight in a cluster of boxes. Not every building needs a spire, crown, or setbacks, but I can't think of a significant addition to the city since 400 N Wabash that hasn't had a flat roof. It's getting boring. "Form follows function" set this city on the map architecturally, but its disciples/exploiters are slowly ruining that.
River Point Tower has a slight curve, but you can be forgiven since it is very close to flat and hardly visible in the skyline once you get out a bit.

NEMA Chicago also has a nice tapering top to it, as does 1 Bennett Park.

Generally, I agree that the vast majority of towers being built in the city over the last decade have been flat tops.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailspyro@gmail.com View Post

I believe that tower was proposed (zoning application filed with the city and reported in Crain's) but was not approved. Unless I missed it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 10:55 PM

Holy fuck! The holidays are early this year

420 N. May St: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...T_12.14.22.pdf
Quote:
420 N. May is a proposed 600-foot tall, 52-story residential building comprising 587 residential units, 339 automobile parking spaces and 205 bicycle parking spaces.
357 N. Green St: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...AFT_121422.pdf
Quote:
357 N. Green St. is a proposed 435-foot tall, 29-story commercial building comprising approximately 676,000 square feet of office space, 14,000 square feet of retail space and 276 automobile parking spaces.
400 N. Morgan St, 370 N. Morgan St, 401 N. Morgan St: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...T%20121422.pdf
Quote:
400 N. Morgan, 370 N. Morgan, and 401 N. Morgan is a proposed multi-phase mixed use development with three subareas. Subarea A (400 N. Morgan) is proposed to include a 450-foot tall building containing 478 residential units and approximately 7,000 square feet of retail. Subarea B (401 N. Morgan) is proposed to include a building that will either contain 548 residential units or office space and will be subject to future site plan approval. Subarea C (370 N. Morgan) is proposed to include a 360-foot tall building containing 529 residential units and approximately 10,000 square feet of retail space.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:23 PM

Holy shit!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:28 PM

Pretty cool! 420 N May looks really tall, and it appears that they played around with going even taller (Option 3)!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:35 PM

I find it funny how a few years ago 200 ft was considered tall for the area. Now, 450-600 ft is the average height of new proposals.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

420 N. May St: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...T_12.14.22.pdf

357 N. Green St: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...AFT_121422.pdf

400 N. Morgan St, 370 N. Morgan St, 401 N. Morgan St: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...T%20121422.pdf
Sweet Moses. And some of the designs are fire, especially 357 N. Green St: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...AFT_121422.pdf

But look at the 600 footer. This totally changes the skyline emphatically to the west. A 600 footer just off Ogden. Must be dreaming

What do we think will be the actuall heights of these after the height chops though?

Last edited by rivernorthlurker; Dec 8, 2022 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 2:30 AM

I love that 420 N. May incorporates the industrial texture of the existing building and water tower along May street into the base.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:31 AM

oh wow! nice

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:40 AM

With these new proposals - I feel even more convinced it's only a matter of time before we get something really tall proposed in the area. Whether it gets built is another story. Maybe Chase does go in the area and put a signature tower up. Might not be a super tall, but a signature tower of 800-1000 feet west of the Kennedy would be a game changer, and no longer feels like a crazy thought.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:16 AM
TL;DR

The Onni plan at 357 N Green will close off that high-speed rail corridor for good... the building core is right in the way, so they can't even cut it though later.

Those Spanish steps are awesome, though. A connection from Halsted down to Kinzie is needed...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Thanks rgarri4. Great renders. Hope they build what looks like a massive tower.
It’s already a fab cluster but this proposal will make it better.
I also noticed construction at the car dealership in the area… the one with the giant dead walls and parking lot. Not sure what is beyond build there. There used to be a hotel proposed for the site. It’s next to Pizza Bebu that’s is now closed

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations