HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
happy to see housing replace an oil change spot.
Until you need to get your oil changed.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Until you need to get your oil changed.
Ha.

I, just like the majority of San Franciscans, don't own a car, so... no.

For those that drive cars and need an oil change, they'll just keep on driving down the road to any one of the other 100 places in the city that offer oil changes.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
SF Skyline:

Nice shot! The City's skyline has come a long way with all those towers completed in Rincon Hill. Hopefully in the not too distant future there will be more high rises between The Avery and Jasper to close that Rincon Hill gap, or at least a high rise tall enough to cover the unflattering side of Jasper.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 7:02 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Ha.

I wonder if that’s a true statement. Are there any statistics regarding San Franciscans with cars versus without?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:21 AM
heavy user of walkability

Shipyard

Shipyard update

Quote:
After years of delay, concern about toxic cleanup, S.F.'s big Shipyard development gets moving again

J.K. Dineen
Feb. 2, 2021

From the window in his Shipyard condominium, Dean Talanehzar likes to sit and watch the backhoes and bulldozers pushing dirt around for the next phase of San Francisco’s biggest development project.

While the coming building won’t be particularly big — 77 units out of 12,000 planned on a former Navy base and nearby Candlestick Point — he is heartened because the developer is bullish enough to keep working despite the pandemic and the unresolved toxic cleanup issues in the surrounding parcels.

“It’s encouraging to see construction progressing,” said Talanehzer, who is the head of talent for a South of Market software company.

Three years after a cleanup scandal that was reported extensively in The Chronicle brought the project to a standstill, the redevelopment of the first phase of the 750-acre former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard has quietly been revived. So far 505 housing units have been completed, with 102 of them below market rate. In addition to the 77 condos just starting construction, design and permitting is under way on 409 other units, which include three buildings of 100% affordable units and a 224-unit mostly market-rate complex. The total first phase — there are five phases altogether — will have 1,428 housing units, 29% them affordable, as well 26 acres of parks.

“We have been working on this community for 15 years — we want to make sure we have enough inventory,” said Garrett Chan, who heads up sales for Lennar Corp., which is building the condos.

Sally Oerth, acting director of the city’s Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure, the agency that oversees the project, said it is committed to staying on track ...

While the hilltop area being developed was used for Navy officer housing and has been ruled free of hazardous pollutants, the acreage down the hill ranks as some of the most contaminated property in the United States, tainted by radioactivity and high levels of toxic heavy metals like manganese, arsenic and vanadium.

In 2017 a group of whistle-blowers who had worked on the cleanup went public with allegations of frequent cheating on the project. ...

After that, lawsuits came in bunches. ... While the Tetra Tech case is still pending, in August Lennar and its affiliates agreed to pay $6.3 million to the homeowners, who alleged that the developer misled them about the status of the cleanup, thus diminishing their home values.

The allegations of fraud prompted the Navy to retest portions of the site, setting the overall redevelopment back by five years or more and delaying the creation of thousands of housing units. While the bulk of the former shipyard was supposed to be cleaned up and delivered for development by 2019, the Navy now says the next parcel transfer won’t happen until late 2023 and several others won’t take place until 2026 and 2028.

Chan said the last condo buildings were completed in late 2019 and are now 80% sold...

And the Bayview neighborhood remains the city’s most affordable, with an average price per square foot of $666, compared to the overall citywide average of $986 a square foot.

While the new construction at the Shipyard is more costly than some of the district’s older housing stock, it’s still more affordable than comparable complexes. A new, one-bedroom condo that might sell for $1.4 million 2 miles north in trendy Dogpatch would sell for $700,000 in the Shipyard. A three-bedroom townhouse would sell for a bit over $1 million, about half what it might fetch in an older neighborhood.

Talanehzar, who previously lived in Mission Bay, originally bought a 1,400-square-foot condominium for $920,000 in 2016. When a second child came along recently, he and his wife upgraded to an 1,800-square-foot place for $1.1 million. He said the 4-mile trip to his SoMa office is an easy commute, and the Shipyard’s open space — there are overlooks, dog runs, playgrounds and 15 pocket parks — offers ample space for his kids to play.

Troy Wilson, a real estate agent who lives at the Shipyard ... In the past year ... sold a one-bedroom condo to a couple for $529,000, a two-bedroom for $950,000 and a three-bedroom for just under $1 million. ...

For now the Shipyard has one glaring downside: the lack of retail. The neighborhood’s one store, the Storehouse, closed in May. In a year, construction is supposed to start on a complex that will have 20,000 square feet of retail in addition to 224 apartments. The developer is Tabernacle Development Associates, a group of five pastors from predominantly African American San Francisco churches, said the Rev. Dr. James McCray, who is heading up the project.

McCray said the group started working on the project in 1998, ... he hopes entrepreneurs from the adjacent Bayview will fill most of the retail space — many of those Black business owners have been priced out as that neighborhood has gentrified...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I wonder if that’s a true statement. Are there any statistics regarding San Franciscans with cars versus without?
According to this report there were .57 cars registered in SF per capita, so a slight majority, but one which has been steadily trending downwards:

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/...ible_final.pdf

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
In actuality, I believe it's 30% that don't own cars.

No idea how that's measured or if usage rates are considered, i.e. owns a car but doesn't use it, etc.

Regardless, SF has a pretty low car ownership rate compared to other American cities.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:27 PM

Anecdotally, of my friends and coworkers, all of whom are in their late twenties to early forties, I’d say the percentage is closer to 25% that own cars.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
In actuality, I believe it's 30% that don't own cars.

No idea how that's measured or if usage rates are considered, i.e. owns a car but doesn't use it, etc.

Regardless, SF has a pretty low car ownership rate compared to other American cities.

As an aside, I wouldn't think that other American cities are a good benchmark to contextualize how car-dependent San Francisco is still.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Ha.

For those that drive cars and need an oil change, they'll just keep on driving down the road to any one of the other 100 places in the city that offer oil changes.
Which places are being eliminated one by one, forcing people to drive farther and farther spewing pollutants and greenhouse gasses to do it. Any city needs to find a way to incorporate the providers of vital services into its development mix. Unlike gas stations, which may have safety issues involved in being on the ground floor of higher rise buildings (although I've seen examples of that from overseas posted), it seems to me a mechanic that, among other things, changes oil, could be in a multi-story building. And rather than eliminating them entirely, as we are doing one by one, that's probably what we should be doing.

PS: It may be saintly of you not to have a car, but I don't either. See you in Heaven some day.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 9:20 AM

Birthday hike up to Twin Peaks on 02/06/21

Downtown 02/06/2021
by sweazeycool, on Flickr

And the Van Ness street update at Van Ness & Sutter

Van Ness project 2
by sweazeycool, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:50 PM

Thanks for the pics joey! Your 2nd post since you made an account in 2016, WOW! Hope you can help contribute in the near future, even if it's photos of construction around the city! Happy belated birthday

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the pics joey! Your 2nd post since you made an account in 2016, WOW! Hope you can help contribute in the near future, even if it's photos of construction around the city! Happy belated birthday
ESPECIALLY if it's photos of construction around the city that nobody else bothers with like the Van Ness BRT.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
Anecdotally, of my friends and coworkers, all of whom are in their late twenties to early forties, I’d say the percentage is closer to 25% that own cars.
You'd be very wrong. You are probably looking only at the eastern neighborhoods.

Percentage of non-car-owning households in major cities

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...f-cars/283234/

This is pretty old--2014--and maybe it's more now but certainly not a majority or even close. And if you want to look at people rather than households, my guess is that non-car households tend to be smaller than car households so a lower percentage of people live in a household without a car. If you've got kids or even a spouse you have more uses for a car and are more likely to live in a single family home with a garage and car than a single person.

And consider:

Quote:
Despite everything, San Franciscans are driving more
By Adam Brinklow Feb 4, 2019, 3:31pm PST

Last week, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) released its annual SF Mobility Trends Report, a regular assessment of how San Francisco is getting by when it comes to getting anywhere.

Compiled by SFMTA staff, the report assesses which methods of transit SF residents are most likely to use, employing everything from traffic counts to official ridership stats from transit agencies to Census data about bike use . . . .

Among the conclusions:

On a certain timeline, mass transit and bike use is up in SF. According to the report, since 2010 San Franciscan’s use of bikes is up six percent, and use of mass transit (BART, Muni, and Caltrain combined) is up five percent, in contrast to a national trend that’s seen mass transit use decline across the United States.
However, since the turn of the century, mass transit is still down. In the longer run, SF’s mass transit use is down since 2002. In 2003 the city saw a sudden, sharp decline of over 60,000 rides per week and has never reached previous highs since, even as the population increases.

Bicycle use in the city is down in the short run. Since 2010, the number of bike commutes in the city is up, and that figure has also more than doubled since the city first started keeping track in 2005. However, the number of bike trips is also down more than 24 percent since its peak in 2015, a precipitous drop in the short term.
More often people are just driving. Since 2010, vehicular traffic entering the city is up 27 percent. “Vehicle registration per capita has declined by three percent,” says the report. “But since the overall population has grown, the total number of vehicles registered in the city have grown by six percent, adding 26,000 more vehicles.” Subsequently, congestion—measured as both average vehicle speed and peak speed—is up too.

City Hall is quick to point the finger at ride-hailing apps for much of the increased congestion. The report concludes that companies like Lyft and Uber “represent 15 percent of all intra-SF trips.” The report also says that approximately 45,000 Lyft and Uber drivers are active in the city, noting that they “account for about half of the total increase in congestion in SF between 2010 and 2016, with population and employment responsible for the other half.”
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/2/4/18211...019-cars-bikes

This was before COVID. My guess is that most of the people leaving the city have been the single or childless car-free folks. It's harder to pack up and go if you have kids in school etc. Also, as we all know, COVID has been a disaster for public transit leading to more car ownership. I myself may have to buy one as I'll be very loath to get on transit for a long time to come. Even Uber is a nail-biter for me these days.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 8, 2021 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
ESPECIALLY if it's photos of construction around the city that nobody else bothers with like the Van Ness BRT.
I was kinda surprised that the red bus lanes are not fully laid from Market to Sutter. It was like the block of sutter, and then every other block to city hall. Seemed odd, and so the look of progress is greater than the actual progress of the project.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the bday message I too am surprised it's only my 2nd posting -- maybe I've posted before but in the Los Angeles forum. Anyway, I'll try to be a lil more active with the Van Ness project pics in the future

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahjoey View Post
Thank you for the bday message I too am surprised it's only my 2nd posting -- maybe I've posted before but in the Los Angeles forum. Anyway, I'll try to be a lil more active with the Van Ness project pics in the future
Yes! Weekly/Monthly photos are GREATLY appreciated. I'm all the way down in SJ otherwise I would take more pictures around the city haha.

--
Also, my imgur wasn't working for months... not sure why but I should update our Bay Area threads more often!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
You'd be very wrong. You are probably looking only at the eastern neighborhoods.
I was saying that of my friends and coworkers only about 25% own cars, not that I think that is the average for my age group.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Which places are being eliminated one by one, forcing people to drive farther and farther spewing pollutants and greenhouse gasses to do it.
The amount of greenhouse gases and pollutants directly tied to San Franciscans driving somewhere else to get their oil changed after the shop on Valencia and Duboce closed will be absolutely negligible.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The amount of greenhouse gases and pollutants directly tied to San Franciscans driving somewhere else to get their oil changed after the shop on Valencia and Duboce closed will be absolutely negligible.
The same can be said of any single small-scale economic change. But the cumulative additional pollutants of the majority of San Franciscans who DO own cars having to drive farther to get mechanics services, buy gas, park and do the other things that the anti-car crowd is pushing will be significant.

Housing is replacing, not incorporating, services including car-related services all over San Francisco. It would be fine if a multistory building with housing on upper floors replaces single-floor service businesses, but when the service is light industrial such as car-related ones, that's very uncommon. But Planning should be requiring it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations